Carpark Gantry Cheats

Vratenza

must be park there for one whole month [laugh]

You will be surprised how often I encounter these. I wouldn't be the least surprise if they only want to siam 20 cent.

Video is not available leh...doesn't matter what car u drive. Have encountered such peeps who like to pull up real close behind me when driving out from gantry, I will just pull away slowly to allow the barrier to come down behind me.

• Praise 2

Video is not available leh...doesn't matter what car u drive. Have encountered such peeps who like to pull up real close behind me when driving out from gantry, I will just pull away slowly to allow the barrier to come down behind me.

I tried before. no work. The pros are really "good", they can be as close as a few centimetres away and the gantry safety sensors will not be able to tell when your car has pass through fully.

https://www.facebook.com/BehChiaLor/videos/1643962532526501

https://www.facebook.com/BehChiaLor/videos/1697427000513387

For benefit of those who cannot view offsite videos.

those behind company firewall and filters have to go home to watch... [;)]

If the carpark operator is kwai lan, they can send a letter of demand. Cos it will be captured by their CCTV as well. 

• Praise 1

If the carpark operator is kwai lan, they can send a letter of demand. Cos it will be captured by their CCTV as well. 

I know the few places where I go (eg. vivocity) have a sign at the gantry warning about tailgating. But I doubt these are effective deterrent.

I think one of the better way is program the system so that if a vehicle only has entry record and no exit record, the operator shall assume that the car is still within the premise till his next visit. During the next visit, the offending vehicle shall be able to enter as per usual, but the IU number will be flagged up. The moment he exits the carpark this round, he will be charged for the carpark fee from day 1. Not enough value in cash card, the carpark attendant will come to the scene to take down the particulars and letter of demand can be issued later.

caveats: have to assume they are not successful in at least one of their tailgating antics. And be prepared to handle the big hoo har these type of people will likely put up when they found out they had been charged as such.

• Praise 1

(edited)

I know the few places where I go (eg. vivocity) have a sign at the gantry warning about tailgating. But I doubt these are effective deterrent.

I think one of the better way is program the system so that if a vehicle only has entry record and no exit record, the operator shall assume that the car is still within the premise till his next visit. During the next visit, the offending vehicle shall be able to enter as per usual, but the IU number will be flagged up. The moment he exits the carpark this round, he will be charged for the carpark fee from day 1. Not enough value in cash card, the carpark attendant will come to the scene to take down the particulars and letter of demand can be issued later.

caveats: have to assume they are not successful in at least one of their tailgating antics. And be prepared to handle the big hoo har these type of people will likely put up when they found out they had been charged as such.

I remember about 8 years ago, there was a way of cheating the EPS parking systems (not everyone works). You just have to slot a very thin magnetic card (for eg. a Arcade Game card) between the cashcard and the IU unit. IIRC, a motorist was stopped and asked to backpay a rather large sum when he kept using this trick at the same carpark. 

All vehicles entry/exit are logged, and can't escape with IU number registered. Given that there are not that many carpark operators in SG, i would think it is easy for them to seek legal recourse. Of course, paying up all the carpark charges will be much more attractive than facing a suit to these errant cheaters

In my workplace carpark, this car services shop uses this trick to avoid paying charges for cars parked for long. They were given  warning pretty quickly and have since ceased to do so. 

Edited by Othello

You will be surprised how often I encounter these. I wouldn't be the least surprise if they only want to siam 20 cent.

Reminds me of that incident with the taxi uncle... he was charged $300 for half an hour or something. But apparently it was his regular haunt for lunch and he'd tailgated his exit before. So the 300 was some compounded charge.

These fellas will get a shock if they go back to the same place after some time.

• Praise 3

Reminds me of that incident with the taxi uncle... he was charged $300 for half an hour or something. But apparently it was his regular haunt for lunch and he'd tailgated his exit before. So the 300 was some compounded charge.

These fellas will get a shock if they go back to the same place after some time.

so is self pawned lah  [laugh]

• Praise 1

But usually these are the kind of people who will kick up the most fuss when caught. To cover the vestigial sense of shame that they have. Not from the act of tailgating but from the fact that they were caught and embarrassed.

so is self pawned lah  [laugh]

well not really... cry mother father, bad economy, leeches everywhere and I think HDB wiped his old due.

Nowadays, company managers seem more worried about any publicity... just want to fly under the radar and push papers.

Sad really. I would have embarrassed that old fart for trying to cheat.

• Praise 1

the best way to stop these cheats is to do a double gate/boom method.

when the car is exiting, there will 2 gates/booms, one gate/boom is in front of the car, the other is at the back of the car. 

the rear boom will only lift up after the first car has paid, exit the carpark and the front boom has closed. like this, the tailgating car cannot tailgate to exit

the best way to stop these cheats is to do a double gate/boom method.

when the car is exiting, there will 2 gates/booms, one gate/boom is in front of the car, the other is at the back of the car. 

the rear boom will only lift up after the first car has paid, exit the carpark and the front boom has closed. like this, the tailgating car cannot tailgate to exit

Good idea but administratively costly and also you need extra space to do this so commercially not viable I suppose.

• Praise 4

Good idea but administratively costly and also you need extra space to do this so commercially not viable I suppose.

Yes, not feasible for most existing car park in SG due to space.

Just food for thought for whoever designing new carparks of the future

As for costs, 1 more boom to upkeep only, i think most building management can afford it. some carparks have multiple exit gantries,

It might even pay for itself, from loss revenue due to gantry cheats in 1 to 2 years time. 

↡ Advertisement