2017 G30 BMW 5 Series

Carbon82

The interior feels like a budget airline seat compared to the e class.

And yes, those air con vents.......... Not nice. All these years.

The exterior needs to be a quantum leap to catch discarding fans.

at least make star shaped aircon vents la.. Mercs already gone round liao hahahaha

BMW still stuck with rectangle aircon vents

kua liao no feel

↡ Advertisement

at least make star shaped aircon vents la.. Mercs already gone round liao hahahaha

BMW still stuck with rectangle aircon vents

kua liao no feel

They will have this lengthy launch press conference for the new 5er.. Telling people this is evolutionary, not revolutionary. Why change something when it's not broken. Design remain same so it's a classic, remain iconic, signature BMW design and easy to recognise etc etc.

Bull leh.. Mercedes and Audi interior really pulling ahead already. By leaps & bounds I dare say. I don't know why, when I look at the new Mercedes Benz models' interior, they look so creamy, tasty and delicious. I can't say the same for the current BMW line up or future ones  [sweatdrop]

• Praise 1

They will have this lengthy launch press conference for the new 5er.. Telling people this is evolutionary, not revolutionary. Why change something when it's not broken. Design remain same so it's a classic, remain iconic, signature BMW design and easy to recognise etc etc.

Bull leh.. Mercedes and Audi interior really pulling ahead already. By leaps & bounds I dare say. I don't know why, when I look at the new Mercedes Benz models' interior, they look so creamy, tasty and delicious. I can't say the same for the current BMW line up or future ones [sweatdrop]

If u follow BMW design language, u would know that G30 is evolution rather than revolution.
  • Praise 1

If u follow BMW design language, u would know that G30 is evolution rather than revolution.

Yeah, I know. Most of them are playing it safe with their design language, offering corporate models in the form of S M L XL for their cars. Even so, brands like Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes Benz and Audi have all improved their style while retaining the design language. 

Compare the development of cabin interior designs of these 4 brands then look at BMW one, you'd know what I mean.

That said, I think Mercedes Benz is more daring compared to the rest, with their exterior sheet metal designs.

• Praise 2

Yeah, I know. Most of them are playing it safe with their design language, offering corporate models in the form of S M L XL for their cars. Even so, brands like Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes Benz and Audi have all improved their style while retaining the design language.

Compare the development of cabin interior designs of these 4 brands then look at BMW one, you'd know what I mean.

That said, I think Mercedes Benz is more daring compared to the rest, with their exterior sheet metal designs.

I guess bmw has not much choice this round since the design language dictates that it has to look similar across all models. The problem with this is that it will take quite a long time for all models to align because of the 7 yr cycles. And now with so many models added to the family, it will be even longer.

To be fair, the previous gen merc interiors are also fugly, and this round it's merc's winning time. Most probably will have to wait for the new 3 series (G20) to see if they can turn things around.

• Praise 3

(edited)

I guess bmw has not much choice this round since the design language dictates that it has to look similar across all models. The problem with this is that it will take quite a long time for all models to align because of the 7 yr cycles. And now with so many models added to the family, it will be even longer.

To be fair, the previous gen merc interiors are also fugly, and this round it's merc's winning time. Most probably will have to wait for the new 3 series (G20) to see if they can turn things around.

It depends on whether they have a nice design language (interior) to show up for.. Seems like they don't so they decided to stick to the old dated design. 

Audi changed and improved upon their already solid reputation for giving nice interiors, first with the new Q7 and now with the recently launched A4. All other offerings in the line up still sports the old interior design language.

Mercedes Benz also did something similar. If I recall correctly, the current C-class (2014) and S-class (2015) started to have slightly different looking interior design. Doing away with the ugly totally unused numberpad commonly found in the entire line up except for SLS  [furious]

Edited by Audi2016

I don't think you get what i meant.

F10 is an revolution.  Accordingly, G30 will be an evolution.

• Praise 1

It depends on whether they have a nice design language (interior) to show up for.. Seems like they don't so they decided to stick to the old dated design.

Audi changed and improved upon their already solid reputation for giving nice interiors, first with the new Q7 and now with the recently launched A4. All other offerings in the line up still sports the old interior design language.

Mercedes Benz also did something similar. If I recall correctly, the current C-class (2014) and S-class (2015) started to have slightly different looking interior design. Doing away with the ugly totally unused numberpad commonly found in the entire line up except for SLS [furious]

If I'm not wrong, the main signature we are seeing in this G30 started from the 3 series F30. The idrive screen in the F30 sticks out of the dashboard. (The e90, F01 and the current F10 have the idrive screen integrated within the dashboard).

I suppose they can do minor differences in other areas of the dashboard to make it more refreshing. They just played it too safe this round.

I am consider an outsider since I have never owned a BMW (driven a few though). I am ok with the conservative exterior, as afterall, nothing wrong with the design (and can easily last for another generation). But having seen the newer MB & Audi, can't help but feel that BMW's interior need a major revamp, urgently. The dash and console are just too "classic", and don't blend well with the relatively modern exterior, imo.

Depending on sales figures of the new 7 & 5 series, I wouldn't be surprised if BMW decided to have a mjaor facelift 2 - 3 years down the road, or have the product life cycle shortern. It is not abnormal in the car industries actually. Case in point: W212 E-Class (the facelft is good enough to qualifiy it for a FMC), and 8th gen E110 Toyota Corolla (major facelift introduced within 2 years of production).

• Praise 4

MB interior is very nice, if you compare then yes BMW looks outdated. But BMW is ultimate driving machine... Mercs got what?  :wacko:

• Praise 1

I am consider an outsider since I have never owned a BMW (driven a few though). I am ok with the conservative exterior, as afterall, nothing wrong with the design (and can easily last for another generation). But having seen the newer MB & Audi, can't help but feel that BMW's interior need a major revamp, urgently. The dash and console are just too "classic", and don't blend well with the relatively modern exterior, imo.

Depending on sales figures of the new 7 & 5 series, I wouldn't be surprised if BMW decided to have a mjaor facelift 2 - 3 years down the road, or have the product life cycle shortern. It is not abnormal in the car industries actually. Case in point: W212 E-Class (the facelft is good enough to qualifiy it for a FMC), and 8th gen E110 Toyota Corolla (major facelift introduced within 2 years of production).

Possible, but bmw traditionally releases their LCI (facelifts) around the 5 yr mark. So it will take some time. The new 3 series G20 should be launched in 2018, so that should be the milestone for the next major interior revamp.

Anyway, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, so will still have some ppeople that prefer this "classic" (dated) style of interior.

(edited)

I had heard similar comments since the days of E60.

Edited by Davidtch

MB interior is very nice, if you compare then yes BMW looks outdated. But BMW is ultimate driving machine... Mercs got what?  :wacko:

Merc got tua towkay driving machine image since the 70s, only in SG ah.

• Praise 2

the interior is f**king dated, period ++

it is from 15 years ago.

Good. Maybe that will make BMW less popular. Lol, then all the luxury seekers will change to Merc and Audi. Yay. Win win!

BMW interior is always dated. The same comment I have been hearing for decade. How come ppl still buy BMW?

Obviously ppl don't just look at interior when buying a car...

the interior is f**king dated, period ++

it is from 15 years ago.

Good. Maybe that will make BMW less popular. Lol, then all the luxury seekers will change to Merc and Audi. Yay. Win win!

I'd prefer a car with a dated interior than a dated exterior aka Audi... But that's just superficial ol' me
  • Praise 2

BMW: Sheer driving pleasure

Mercedes Benz: Ultimate ahpek cruiser

Audi: VW bigger brother

Porsche: Audi bigger brother

↡ Advertisement