2017 G30 BMW 5 Series

Carbon82

Yea. Based on outlook alone, little incentive to buy the E over C.

They look virtually the same!

Yea. Based on outlook alone, little incentive to buy the E over C.

They look virtually the same! See below, can tell which is which?

attachicon.gifIMG_9070.JPG

I think is camera angle? In the flesh the E is distinctly broader and better proportions than the C. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I think is camera angle? In the flesh the E is distinctly broader and better proportions than the C.

I walked around the cars. Very little difference in size visually.
  • Praise 2

Agree; at times, I find it difficult to differentiate among C, E & S especially from the rear!

Sidetrack abit... compared to G11/12, I must say the S class is very comfortable and I felt as if I'm in a different world from all the other cars around me [laugh]. But G11/12, as with all BMWs, are still more fun to drive  [thumbsup] .

Seriously, I cannot differentiate. My kid is faster in identifying the model (E or C) as kids have good eyes  - can read faster than me!

• Praise 2

Bro, it also depends on age and driving habits

Those who drive slow slow and steady pom pi pi  may not find any difference between driving a BMW and a B & B car other than the badge and external appearance   [laugh]

Agree; at times, I find it difficult to differentiate among C, E & S especially from the rear!

Sidetrack abit... compared to G11/12, I must say the S class is very comfortable and I felt as if I'm in a different world from all the other cars around me [laugh]. But G11/12, as with all BMWs, are still more fun to drive  [thumbsup] .

• Praise 8

What is the highest OT for the G30? $20k is what I have been told.

Understand also that there is a NDP promo for the M Sports but must take some form of financing.

• Praise 5

Supercharged

F10 did not drop that much (could be due to high COE). 230ish even at the end of life cycle.

The lelong sale for F10 (early 2016 when my friend was shopping) was approximately 200k for the business edition 520.

I must say that transmission is great. It is not the imperceptible ghost that you might get with a preselected dual-clutch shift that some reviews might make it sound like, but it is certainly really smooth and responsive.

I had too short a go in the 530i but I certainly like how confidently it gets up to speed without making a fuss.

I'd take the latest ZF over any dual clutch, for linearity in its absolute

Hi, can any bro enlightened what does the two P light switch on the right of the photo do. Seem unable to figure it out from the manual.

post-144880-0-10254700-1502259525.jpg

Hi, can any bro enlightened what does the two P light switch on the right of the photo do. Seem unable to figure it out from the manual.

It is useful if you park in dark dark place. 

No worries of battery as it will be switch off if battery voltage too low.

It is useful if you park in dark dark place.

No worries of battery as it will be switch off if battery voltage too low.

Noted thanks for the feedback

So happy to finally see the blue light [laugh] - found a iPhone 7+ case that works with and fits the charging pad [thumbsup] . Going to monitor the stability of it over the next few days...

36121428970_10a9d593b7_c.jpg

Anyone on iPhone 7/+ and has found a compatible wireless charging casing to use with the charging pad in your BMW?

Edited by Wolfverine
  • Praise 1

Here to share my recent tracking experience on a G30 over the wkend...

Venue: Incheon BMW race track

Wanted to sign up for the M driving experience program, but needed 3hrs...I only had 90min to spare hence took up the G30 driving experience...

Instructor ran through some theory lesson in classroom...85% in Hangul + 15% English for me... ;-)

The best part: drivers selecting their rides...

4 drivers & 6 cars to choose from...

G30

1. 520i x 2

2. 520d

3. 530i

4. 530i (x drive)

5. 530d

I drew a decent no.2.

My car plate: 8213.

Bros here got sharp eyes, so guess which ride I pick? ;-)

(to be continued...)

post-122323-0-88593000-1502806827_thumb.jpg

post-122323-0-53676600-1502806857_thumb.jpg

post-122323-0-35485200-1502807248_thumb.jpg

• Praise 2

Here to share my recent tracking experience on a G30 over the wkend...

Venue: Incheon BMW race track

Wanted to sign up for the M driving experience program, but needed 3hrs...I only had 90min to spare hence took up the G30 driving experience...

Instructor ran through some theory lesson in classroom...85% in Hangul + 15% English for me... ;-)

The best part: drivers selecting their rides...

4 drivers & 6 cars to choose from...

G30

1. 520i x 2

2. 520d

3. 530i

4. 530i (x drive)

5. 530d

I drew a decent no.2.

My car plate: 8213.

Bros here got sharp eyes, so guess which ride I pick? ;-)

(to be continued...)

The story goes...

For those who strive for a little fun in the sun will enjoy the BMW track experience @ Incheon. For a nominal fee, you get to immerse in a variety of driving programs made available by the Bavarians. From the hard core drifting program to the Off-road taxi services, there are plenty of juice for the F1 enthusiast to the gentleman in suit. Your wife & kids will be entertained at the big showroom + activities.

The programs adhere to a fair margin of safety, with knowledgeable instructors to guide the drivers. Yes, most conversation & lessons are in Hangul, but the most important parts are clearly explain in English (if needed), so you can be rest assured your life will not be in jeopardy. Yes, it's Left Hand Drive, so minor adjustment is needed on your end.

The Instructor will give guidance to the racing line & braking point, the rest is up to you to execute. Rule of thumb: no overtaking & racing. Keeping a safe distance between cars are essential. And have lots of fun!

BTW, I chose a 530 diesel M-sport S drive. I believed that's the only In-Line 6 in the lineup available. Probably the most fun G30 for the day!

Coming from a Nissan Fairlady 350Z HR, Audi C6 A6 & a current Audi B8 A4 3.2 Quattro, i have high expectation for the latest G30.

The ride has been pliant. During the long straight, I managed to floor the accelerator for a good 6s. The diesel peak torque was good from 50km/h to 165km/h, there after it tampered ever slightly downwards till 190km/h before I need to hit the brakes. That was where the G30 really excel, during hard braking & making sharp turns, you can feel the 50:50 weight distribution, the epitome of an BMW, to deliver a drive worthy of its name! For most part, I was pushing the car to my limit, it stood really well & I have always felt in control of the gentle beast. The steering was a little light but overall sharp & responsive enough to do the job. The S drive allows me to be tail happy at some of the turn ins & never fail to put a smile on my face...there after the instructor will dish out a safety warning via the Wilkie talkie...ok ok, tame the beast, not the car!

I wish I could share more, but back to work...

I will attached some useful info on the BMW program, e.g. I took the Challenge A program, cost 80,000won & 80min. An Advance M program will set you back at 240,000won & 3hrs. U get the Hangul drift. You can google the rest.

If you are planning to visit Korea, Incheon is worthy of a day just for the track & seafood ;-)

Cheers...

post-122323-0-57005200-1502940358_thumb.jpg

• Praise 5

2018 M5 (I am as wet as the look of the beautiful paintwork...)

BMW-M5-2018-1600-15.jpgBMW-M5-2018-1600-18.jpgBMW-M5-2018-1600-02.jpgBMW-M5-2018-1600-11.jpgBMW-M5-2018-1600-0f.jpgBMW-M5-2018-1600-1a.jpgBMW-M5-2018-1600-1b.jpgBMW-M5-2018-1600-20.jpgBMW-M5-2018-1600-1f.jpgBMW-M5-2018-1600-1d.jpgBMW-M5-2018-1600-1c.jpgBMW-M5-2018-1600-28.jpg

The new BMW M5 takes driving dynamics into a new dimension. Making its debut in the sixth generation of the highperformance sedan is the new M-specific all-wheel-drive system M xDrive. Not only does this drive system enable the M5 to reach new heights of dynamic performance, it means that it excels in terms of everyday practicality and delivers supreme poise in all driving conditions as well.

Hard at work under the bonnet of the new BMW M5 is the latest and most advanced version of the 4.4-litre V8 engine featuring M TwinPower Turbo technology. Output of 441 kW/600 hp and peak torque of 750 Nm (553 lb-ft) promise supreme propulsive power and formidable performance. The twinturbo V8 unit propels the new M5 from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in a mere 3.4 seconds.

The task of relaying the drive power falls to the new eight-speed M Steptronic transmission with Drivelogic, which teams up with the M xDrive system to transfer the high-revving engine's turbocharged might to the road to optimum effect in all driving conditions. The upshot of all this is that the new BMW M5 is not just the fastest of all the M5 models built since 1984, but the most nimble too.

The twin-turbo V8's power is channelled to the road via the newly developed M xDrive all-wheel-drive system. The wonderfully nimble rear-biased set-up is achieved by the M xDrive system only bringing the front wheels into play when the rear wheels aren't able to transmit any more power to the road and additional tractive force is required.

More ambitious drivers can configure M xDrive at any time to suit their needs. Even in the default setting with both DSC and 4WD activated, the new BMW M5 allows a certain amount of slip at the rear wheels when accelerating out of corners to produce the agility for which M models are renowned. But the M5 also remains perfectly controllable at all times. The all-wheel drive's superior traction helps to produce acceleration times that are simply phenomenal by sports sedan standards and would be worthy of a supersports car: 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in a breathtaking 3.4 seconds and 0 to 200 km/h (124 mph) in just 11.1 seconds.

Switching to the M Dynamic mode (MDM, 4WD Sport) gives a further major boost to the car's handling agility. Yet more drive torque is now directed to the rear axle, while the amount of permissible rear wheel slip is increased. This lets drivers put the M5 into controlled drifts and enjoy its playful handling. While doing so, the onset of oversteer is noticeable in good time and the linear increase of the sideslip angle means that the vehicle remains stable even when driving at the limit.

The 4WD mode is set up for the greatest possible controllability and traction, and already offers plenty of scope for exploring the dynamic performance capabilities of the new BMW M5. The 4WD Sport mode, meanwhile, with its blend of supreme steering precision, delightful handling and reassuring traction, offers a sure-fire guarantee of unadulterated driving pleasure. The pure rear-wheel-drive mode (2WD) has been designed with the experienced and highly adept driver in mind.

The new eight-speed M Steptronic transmission with Drivelogic has also been strictly geared towards sporty performance. The incredibly short shift times and optimal ratio spacing will keep even the most demanding driver happy. What's more, the wide ratio spread of the eight-speed M Steptronic unit helps to optimise fuel efficiency, too. The transmission has been engineered for instantaneous response and lightning-fast gear changes in classic M style. The torque converter lock-up clutch is already fully engaged once the car has pulled away.

The transmission's shift mapping can be modified using the Drivelogic rocker switch on the gear selector. Drivelogic mode 1 corresponds to efficient driving. Mode 2 lends itself to quick driving with its shortened shift times. And Drivelogic mode 3 is optimised for sporty driving on the track thanks to its extremely short shift times. Those preferring to shift gear manually can also execute sporty multiple downshifts to the lowest available gear, for instance when braking into tight corners. There are no automatic upshifts when the engine is revved to the limit either.

• Praise 12