PSLE T score replaced by banding

Showster

Looks like it will just mean that top schools will have less foreigners? Since citizenship will be one of the tie-breakers. Just like in Primary school now. The popular schools have less foreigners.

Dei, you never hear of Asean scholars path or DSA academic?  Where got numbers shrink?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Regardless of the change. Parents and students will still be obsessive not in grades but in Achievement Level. So LPPL. So is there gonna be a change in mindset after all? But why after 2021? So that someone tour of duty has been completed? It's anybody guess.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Dei, you never hear of Asean scholars path or DSA academic?  Where got numbers shrink?

But now only limited to them lo. Last time, those who were not scholars also got chance to get in ma. My primary school, all the PRCs scored very high and got into top schools. Secondary school, again the same thing happen. Their subject all very good except English. But they are so good at memorizing that their English sucks but can get A1. Lol.

Regardless of the change. Parents and students will still be obsessive not in grades but in Achievement Level. So LPPL. So is there gonna be a change in mindset after all? But why after 2021? So that someone tour of duty has been completed? It's anybody guess.

They probably need time to implement la. Cannot straight away change the system so drastically ma. 2021 is 5 years away, so only those in Primary 1 and below affected lo. Still got at least 5+ years for them to prepare. Those who already started Primary school won't be affected.

• Praise 1

they go by intake, those go into P1 next year (edit: should be this year) will be the first batch under the new system.

They should also abolish the stupid affiliation system where bonus points are awarded to connected primary school. This is a biased system for elitist. Level playing field and meritocracy my foot.

i agreed!!!

it is never a level playing field...

those reputable schools seats are already reserves for IP, DSA and affiliated pri schools..

only left a small portion for the really good ones to come in if their PSLE are really good...

so i guess only the top few percentile can make it to the reputable schools...

i agreed!!!

those reputable schools seats are already reserves for IP, DSA and affiliated pri schools..

only left a small portion for the really good ones to come in if their PSLE are really good...

If you find out how much lower the cut-off points are for affiliated pri sch to join these sec schools vs the "public rate", you can see how unlevel the field is.

If you find out how much lower the cut-off points are for affiliated pri sch to join these sec schools vs the "public rate", you can see how unlevel the field is.

no secret lah all on the guide book. 10-20 marks different depend, so translate to 3-4 points under the new system.

Turbocharged

Last time T score was:

1) English x 2 = 200

2) 2nd lang x 2 = 200

3) Maths = 100

4) Sciences = 100

Total 600 / 2 = PSLE score 300

Now all equal weighting. Last time you can still use scores from stronger subject to cover a weaker subject. Now cannot liao.

I think cut-off scores for going to top school will be between 4 to 6, or maybe even 4 to 5. Is this considered less stressful? I doubt it.

Exactly. I don't know what they are trying to achieve.

i agreed!!!

those reputable schools seats are already reserves for IP, DSA and affiliated pri schools..

can't change the mindset of most, however if some parents are strong believer of characters and play more than academic, they can choose a neighborhood sec sch and give up the slot in those top schools even if their kid qualified.

anyone willing?

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
(edited)

Looks like it will just mean that top schools will have less foreigners? Since citizenship will be one of the tie-breakers. Just like in Primary school now. The popular schools have less foreigners.

Wrong. It just mean that the foreigners will now up their game by getting ALs of 4 or 5 (and then get into the top school)  while the locals , who think that it is less competitive now, all end up being worse than the foreigners.

Edited by Icedbs

Twincharged
(edited)

Wrong. It just mean that the foreigners will now up their game by getting ALs of 4 or 5 (and then get into the top school)  while the locals , who think that it is less competitive now, all end up being worse than the foreigners.

The locals who think that way then too bad for them la. Most of the people I know would probably study harder under this new system so that they will be at the top with AL of 4 to 5. This way, the foreigners will not have a chance to get into top schools.

IMO, this system is actually more competitive because in order to have a chance to get into top school, the students must aim to get below 6?  Which means they must get straight As. Or else, probably end up in neighborhood school.

Edited by Nzy

(edited)

seriously what's the facking difference.

-_-[confused]

I think more stressful. We have to include all 4 subjects, instead of O Level style best 5 + 1. So if your child got 8 points for 1 subject. Say bye bye to his future liao.

Now also cannot use stronger subject to cover weaker subject via aggregate scoring.

Really disappointed with Mr Ng Chee Meng. Change for the sake of changing. Waste time and money. And more tuition for the kids.

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 2

Much as we wish and hope that some priority be given to locals if all else being equal, we should not be obsessed with foreigners vs locals.

Locals should try to elevate themselves.

In due time, everyone will learn how to game the system

By shrinking 300 points to a much narrower range, it also means there is much less differentiation at every level, the smart smart vs smart, the average vs the above average etc

It is likely that if everyone has the same point, they would still have to look at the raw scores, if not can be very challenging. Imagine top sch cut off 4 points 300 spaces, and 500 students with 4 points applied for it. 

If one wants to design a system to minimise unhealthy competition for points, may be better to scrap the release of all grades. students just apply to schools of their choices before PSLE exam and schs select based on their overall scores without students knowing the scores. This was what happened years ago before grading and points were introduced.

The Good Old Days, where Primary school students primary responsibility is to lead a carefree life  and play at long kang and catch butterflies [grin]  

• Praise 10

MIddleground's take on the PSLE.

http://themiddleground.sg/2016/07/13/psle-changes-broader-bands-psychological-games/

It's very unlikely someone will be more kiasu or competitive than us singaporeans.

Maybe some PRC and koreans but their levels are even unhealthier for the child.

Hypersonic

Just lesser resolution compare to T score. From T score we know one kid with 4As is better than another also with 4As. In the future, both kids will be under 4 point band. Both will think they did equally well, of course only MOE knows who score better.

That also means cutoff point resolution will also be less distinct among the schools. The more elite and lesser elite will be band together.e.g. last time RI cut off point was 265 and maybe Catholic Hight was 253. Under T score, RI will be deem a more elite school. In the future both school will band under as 4 points. There will be no visibilty which school accepted the better scoring students, only moe knows.

• Praise 2

Twincharged
(edited)

I think more stressful. We have to include all 4 subjects, instead of O Level style best 5 + 1. So if your child got 8 points for 1 subject. Say bye bye to his future liao.

Now also cannot use stronger subject to cover weaker subject via aggregate scoring.

Really disappointed with Mr Ng Chee Meng. Change for the sake of changing. Waste time and money. And more tuition for the kids.

8 points for 1 subject is very bad you know. It falls in the range of less then 20marks. A average student should not even get that low marks in the 1St place. If you want can maybe put 6 points which is more reasonable range for average students.

The new system I feel it's a lot better. As it still differentiate between the top of the top students, the above average and the average students without comparing who scores the highest as a lot will score 4 points anyway so there is nothing much higher to compare.

So this eliminates of parents who want student to score 100% for each subject, or I want you to be the top student for the school or for whole of Singapore for the psle. You know how stress it is to be the top student in the whole school? With the new grading, top student in the whole school? No problem score 4 points and I'll be the top as will be others who score 4 points too. No need 100% score, maybe can also afford a few careless mistake and score within 90%+ range can already. Although still stressful but it's still less stressful to compete with another student who maybe score 2 to 3 marks better then him.

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 2

The Good - every child gets a chance to get into a good school on his/her merit. No more measuring a child's scores in relation to his/her peers.

The bad - if the papers are tough, adios to the weaker students' chance to get a passing grade.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1