PSLE T score replaced by banding

Showster

Hypersonic

parents connection is in proxy to getting into a branded primary school now  [:p]

[shakehead]  [smallcry]  [smallcry]

connections everywhere

hard truth...that's life

:ph34r:

↡ Advertisement

connections everywhere

hard truth...that's life

:ph34r:

Can't disagree [lipsrsealed] . Hopefully my girl can get into one also  -_-

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

May I suggest  the following

1. All our ang mo schools as "Raffles (name of constituency)" 

2. All our Chinese schools as "Hwa Chong (nam of constituency)"

Like that everybody is raffles and hwa chong. So, don't need to fight until skull crack. Everybody happy and song song...

No diff la .

Raffles Bishan will be more atas than Raffles Jurong.

Hwa Chong Bukit Timah more atas than Hwa Chong Woodlands .

• Praise 1

I have gone through PSLE, O Level and A Level with my girl and my opinion is .... "All schools are equal and some schools are more equal than others."

Our culture, education system is too deeply entrenched. It is not about score but the "kiasu-ism". I took my PSLE in the late 70s and I don't even a score. I just get a slip to indicate my posting. I dont think that it is so easy to change the culture.

My girl just completed her A levels. I found out that RJC and HCI had about 50% of the students getting straight As. For JCs like Innova and even SRJC, there are only a handful of straight As student.

What is the impact of changing the scoring for PSLE ? I dont see any. 

Hypersonic

But but but, our cheng hu said all school are the same leh.....

So did the animals in the beginning of Animal Farm. :veryangry:

(edited)

2021, my daughter just nice P6..

Hope Ng Chee Meng don't screwed this up..

personally i feel the timeline is bit long. Long enough for primary 1 students to change their expectations ar. hahaha

So did the animals in the beginning of Animal Farm. :veryangry:

4 leggggggs goood, 2 leeegggggs baaaaaaad  [:p]

The Animal Farm cartoon played very often on TV when i was young. Dunno if they still show it to youngsters.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3

Hypersonic

personally i feel the timeline is bit long. Long enough for primary 1 students to change their expectations ar. hahaha

The Animal Farm cartoon played very often on TV when i was young. Dunno if they still show it to youngsters.

Then later it became

4 legggggggs good, 2 leggggggs better.

Supersonic

Then later it became

4 legggggggs good, 2 leggggggs better.

Thought the last part was how you couldn't tell the difference between the pigs and the humans?

Supersonic

You must have been way beyond your years....

Watching political satire as a cartoon!  :blink:

Hypersonic
(edited)

Thought the last part was how you couldn't tell the difference between the pigs and the humans?

Yes, that's why the last part the pigs asked the sheeps to bleat 4 legs good, 2 legs better.

The pigs were standing on 2 legs like human.

Edited by Fcw75

I just think this change just creates more problems.

More students grouped into a band then how to decide where is the cutoff for admission into a school?  To me this leads to less transparency.  Having T score actually makes it more clear cut.

As it stands, PSLE is still ultimately used to stream students into IP, O level, Normal courses.

Whether T score or banding, I really don't see any difference, it is still high stakes exam and the odds still heavily stacked against those with less resources.

• Praise 1

Similar banding? Behind each band, there are sub band with different order of magnitude. "A" means A.AABBCCDDEEFF. The eventual still the same. For those whose kids have progress to Sec, do you realize that the sec one kids have difficulty studying? Many do not even know how to study, flip the textbook and highlight the key points. They only know tuition. What exactly has happen?

Similar banding? Behind each band, there are sub band with different order of magnitude. "A" means A.AABBCCDDEEFF. The eventual still the same. For those whose kids have progress to Sec, do you realize that the sec one kids have difficulty studying? Many do not even know how to study, flip the textbook and highlight the key points. They only know tuition. What exactly has happen?

If there will be banding and sub-banding etc, then it is really no difference from T score. LPPL. Waste of everyone's time.

I am sure that when it was announced earlier that PSLE will be changed, some people must be thinking that it will be changed for the better but really seems like no better.

I think the whole system so deeply entrenched and focused on meritocracy, there will still be continuous emphasis on PSLE being the yardstick to differentiate the kids and coupled with the planned population increase, stress level of kids and on kids will just increase in tandem.

My eldest and 2nd won't be affected.

Only the youngest will be affected...

Anyway... I suddenly remembered that "All schools are good schools" ... :D

Hopefully by 2021, the statement can come true :)

"All schools are good schools" is just playing with words.  I also can add that "some schools are just better than others and certain schools are still perceived as the best"

Banding reduces differentiation of students.

Schools, resource limited, rely more on other predictors - sports, trained skills, branding of primary schools, parent-bought achievements.

All of which folds into 1 thing - kids with more money will get ahead with more coaching.

Making the rich-poor divide even more stark.

The people who sold these changes are elite well paid people or will be seeking second careers in the cottage industry as new opportunities open up.

[laugh]

I can't agree with you more but can only give you 5 praises 

parents' connections

:D

I also wonder how to prevent such things from happening in the new banding system with clear cut T-scores.  

That's where the priorities will come in. Alumni, parents who are ex-students, staying within 1km, etc etc.

Then I rather have T scores back, at least students from more modest backgrounds can still get into top schools based on their academic achievements.

While I do agree with the new initiatives /plans to get students involved in daily cleaning of school compound and more emphasis on toughening the kids, I don't see how the banding system will encourage students to go beyond being booksmart since it'll still be a merit based system. And they only do 4 subjects in PSLE which will likely result in many students getting the same results, unless the number of banding is increased, like there are 9 bands for O level subjects.

Can imagine lots of students with straight As or A*s fighting for the few hundred places in a highly-coverted school, how to differentiate? How are they going to ensure transparency?

The system has yet to be developed and tested, yet he can confidently say 'The posting system will still be a fair and transparent system based on academic merit'. I really hope he knows what he's talking about.

↡ Advertisement