PSLE T score replaced by banding

Showster

While I do agree with the new initiatives /plans to get students involved in daily cleaning of school compound and more emphasis on toughening the kids, I don't see how the banding system will encourage students to go beyond being booksmart since it'll still be a merit based system. And they only do 4 subjects in PSLE which will likely result in many students getting the same results, unless the number of banding is increased, like there are 9 bands for O level subjects.

Can imagine lots of students with straight As or A*s fighting for the few hundred places in a highly-coverted school, how to differentiate? How are they going to ensure transparency?

The system has yet to be developed and tested, yet he can confidently say 'The posting system will still be a fair and transparent system based on academic merit'. I really hope he knows what he's talking about.

To me T-score is more transparent than banding. Really cannot understand the logic of the new system.
↡ Advertisement

While I do agree with the new initiatives /plans to get students involved in daily cleaning of school compound and more emphasis on toughening the kids, I don't see how the banding system will encourage students to go beyond being booksmart since it'll still be a merit based system. And they only do 4 subjects in PSLE which will likely result in many students getting the same results, unless the number of banding is increased, like there are 9 bands for O level subjects.

Can imagine lots of students with straight As or A*s fighting for the few hundred places in a highly-coverted school, how to differentiate? How are they going to ensure transparency?

The system has yet to be developed and tested, yet he can confidently say 'The posting system will still be a fair and transparent system based on academic merit'. I really hope he knows what he's talking about.

I am very sure it can be done. Only one minor factor. You won't know. I won't know how it is done.

Then I rather have T scores back, at least students from more modest backgrounds can still get into top schools based on their academic achievements.

The parents & students don get the TScore but behind the A/B/C there is still a number for school admission. After school admission, that number disappear. So soon we are left to compare car and length, no more T-score. Anyway, what was your T-score? Who has the highest Tscore in MCF?

I am very sure it can be done. Only one minor factor. You won't know. I won't know how it is done.

Maybe 'transparent system' means peasants unable to see it at all, that's why it's called transparent.
  • Praise 1

If you won't know and I won't know that means lack of transparency, so it is a change for the worse

The parents & students don get the TScore but behind the A/B/C there is still a number for school admission. After school admission, that number disappear. So soon we are left to compare car and length, no more T-score. Anyway, what was your T-score? Who has the highest Tscore in MCF?

So you mean there is a 'hidden' number for school admission purposes?  With current T score at least parents and students know which school they can enter, but with banding and 'hidden' number then how to know.  Thus, lack of transparency, thus change for the worse - stress of results and stress from the unknown posting results

Aiya if they really serious about every school is a good school...

All students to be allocated to the school nearest to their homes. To prevent rich parents from moving houses just to be near 'good schools', must have minimum occupancy at the address for 6 years (length of primary education of the kid).

Priority entry will be given to those who fulfil that criteria. Those that didn't fulfil, will be ranked by length of residency (five years, four years etc), with those less will be lower down the order. If didn't get in, will be sent to the next nearest school, subject to availability of spaces.

Therefore those who stayed around the area the longest will have advantage into getting into the nearest schools.

• Praise 2

All students to be allocated to the school nearest to their homes. To prevent rich parents from moving houses just to be near 'good schools', must have minimum occupancy at the address for 6 years (length of primary education of the kid).

Priority entry will be given to those who fulfil that criteria. Those that didn't fulfil, will be ranked by length of residency (five years, four years etc), with those less will be lower down the order. If didn't get in, will be sent to the next nearest school, subject to availability of spaces.

Therefore those who stayed around the area the longest will have advantage into getting into the nearest schools.

gave you 5 praises for revolutionary idea but don't think it will gel with our principle of meritocracy ...

I will like to point out something.  PM Lee first mentioned about the revamp of the PSLE grading in 2013.  Now we have news that the government wants to replace it with banding, to be implemented in 2021.  What does this mean?

It means that the government has not quite figured it out the best way to do this, and is dragging its feet (a policy that takes 8 years to study, review, consult and implement? Come on!).  If by banding, the government intends to re-introduce the grades A to D, then we are back to the PSLE system in the early 1980s.  Who was the wise guy in the government that introduced the T-scores back in 1982 in the first place?

The previous Education Minister was famous for introducing the phrase "All schools are good schools".  This is an ideal, not a reality, and over time, is best forgotten.    The fact that the current PSLE T-scores (or grades in the future) are used to post the P6 students into Secondary One, already blows the ill-conceived phrase apart (Of course, one can argue that good schools here refer to the quality of the teaching staff, curriculum, processes and facilities, not the students themselves, but others can beg to differ).

Inevitably, almost every new education minister that comes along, tries to introduces a new phrase, to out-do the previous education minister.  I hope that the current one(s) will do a better job than the last.

"Thinking schools, Learning nation" 1997-2003

"Teach less, Learn more" 2003-2008

"All schools are good schools" 2011-2015

• Praise 6

Without the T-score, secondary schools will need a new method to rank students into the classes. Entrance exams? Streaming after 6 months?

• Praise 1

Without the T-score, secondary schools will need a new method to rank students into the classes. Entrance exams? Streaming after 6 months?

This is still a fundamental issue of demand much greater than supply.  Everyone wants to get into the top schools.  Whether it is T score or banding, it will be the same.  

Unless PSLE is totally scrapped.

But of course, that is not going to happen in the Singapore system.  

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

You can't remove kiasu-ism entrenched in the minds of the upper and middle class in singapore just by superficial policy changes. Like it or not there is still only a narrow path to success here... go to good schools, get good qualifications which must be in fields of medical, law or finance. In singapore no matter how talented you are as artist or musician or sportsman (which will gain DSA entry by the way)... will end up 'eat grass'.

But let's not forget that there's also a segment of society that can't care less about their kids' studies too, and that is yet another looming problem.

Edited by Sosaria

You can't remove kiasu-ism entrenched in the minds of the upper and middle class in singapore just by superficial policy changes. Like it or not there is still only a narrow path to success here... go to good schools, get good qualifications which must be in fields of medical, law or finance. In singapore no matter how talented you are as artist or musician or sportsman (which will gain DSA entry by the way)... will end up 'eat grass'.

But let's not forget that there's also a segment of society that can't care less about their kids' studies too, and that is yet another looming problem.

Famous sportsman will not eat grass

Fandi was a millionaire

Vincent (the wushu exponent turns TCS actor) drives a very chio Mercedes

I am sure there are more.

Some 4As can go RI, some with 4As cannot, there are high A and low A, LPPL [laugh]

MOE may keep the raw score from the PSLE and send those scores to the schools in order to distinguish the high A, middle A and low A? [laugh]

Famous sportsman will not eat grass

Fandi was a millionaire

Vincent (the wushu exponent turns TCS actor) drives a very chio Mercedes

I am sure there are more.

You can be a coach. What else can you be?

I mean performance artistes life is just as tough. Try being a theatre actor here in SG.

Turbocharged

You can be a coach. What else can you be?

I mean performance artistes life is just as tough. Try being a theatre actor here in SG.

That's what I'm driving at, actually. Sports capabilities expire rather quickly with age. Some sportsmen with business acumen can make good living as coach, plus freelance here and there at schools. But how many can reach that level?

Also it is quite a precarious living, as compared to the golden paved path of regular salary / wages of a doctor, lawyer, or other professional. So it is quite difficult to change people's mindset to accept that their children can choose "different" careers.

Supersonic

If they are really serious about every school is a good school, they should publish a list of all the cabinet ministers' children and which schools they attend.  

• Praise 1

If they are really serious about every school is a good school, they should publish a list of all the cabinet ministers' children and which schools they attend.  

Don't need lah... you know, I know, everybody knows [laugh]

And with regards to every school is a good school... Haha...

The response from my friends who are MOE teachers is always a smile whenever I ask them this question. 一切尽在不言中

↡ Advertisement