PSLE T score replaced by banding

Showster

Turbocharged

have lah..............cat 40...............cat 80............cat 120..............cat 150...............cat 200................all banded mah............ [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

ya hor…. so MOE copy them…. chey…… thought they so smart….. but then hor….. how they get the idea??  [lipsrsealed]  [rolleyes]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

have lah..............cat 40...............cat 80............cat 120..............cat 150...............cat 200................all banded mah............ [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Sometimes I wonder who does the banding. [:p]

• Praise 1

Sometimes I wonder who does the banding. [:p]

I think they got SOP to follow..........standard system guidelines.......... [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

ya hor…. so MOE copy them…. chey…… thought they so smart….. but then hor….. how they get the idea??  [lipsrsealed]  [rolleyes]

must ask the person............or committee who proposed the system lor............ [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Thats why I said MOE just want to have the cake and eat it as well. If they are really sincere in having a holistic education, why not just abolish PSLE? All those what GEP, DSA etc has nothing to do with providing a holistic education at all. Before they want to talk about all this, they should address the issue of lack of time for teachers to teach, the reliance on tuition/enrichment and remedial classes.

Recently many call to drop DSA, thought DSA is based on other talents which make the students focus on areas other than pure academic?

Recently many call to drop DSA, thought DSA is based on other talents which make the students focus on areas other than pure academic?

DSA still look at academic lor...............IIRC............all DSA must at least get express entry de...........but the DPA and JPAE however put more focus on the talent and interest of the students i think............

DSA still look at academic lor...............IIRC............all DSA must at least get express entry de...........but the DPA and JPAE however put more focus on the talent and interest of the students i think............

Sport and music can go under DSA?

Sport and music can go under DSA?

Sports I think DSA will be Singapore sports school................music i not so sure..............but I think there is a MEP program.............

recently during school PTC................my son form teacher was encouraging me to let him go to SSS..........but we have already set our mind on SST.............

Edited by Tianmo

What sexpert said  [:p]  [laugh] And to add is MOE prepared to overlook the academic performance of such students with other talents? 

Sports I think DSA will be Singapore sports school................music i not so sure..............but I think there is a MEP program.............

recently during school PTC................my son form teacher was encouraging me to let him go to SSS..........but we have already set our mind on SST.............

Must the the open house that got your son interested?  My son went to the open house two years back, his mind was set on SST since. Now lucky he made it thru, else he would be very disappointed.

DSA for music, alot of schools which has symphonic band performing in the yearly SYF will likely consider music as a possible DSA route.  Since my son plays the rock drums, we let him try out Maris Stella High via the symphonic band. Surprisingly got the CO despite different genre of music. And he can't read bean sprouts..

What sexpert said  [:p]  [laugh] And to add is MOE prepared to overlook the academic performance of such students with other talents? 

For DSA, the selection is entirely up the school to offer the CO and waiting list. MOE only facilitate the selection  process to let the student exercise their choice of CO given. Even the minimum to score 200 or 188 or even lower for normal stream is up to the school.

Edited by Ender

Must the the open house that got your son interested?  My son went to the open house two years back, his mind was set on SST since. Now lucky he made it thru, else he would be very disappointed.

DSA for music, alot of schools which has symphonic band performing in the yearly SYF will likely consider music as a possible DSA route.  Since my son plays the rick drum, we let him try out Maris Stella High via the symphonic band. Surprisingly got the CO despite different genre of music. And he can't read bean sprouts..

For DSA, the selection is entirely up the school to offer the CO and waiting list. MOE only facilitate the selection  process to let the student exercise their choice of CO given. Even the minimum to score 200 or 188 or even lower for normal stream is up to the school.

Thanks for the info. 

I think this only happens after "O" levels............with the Direct Poly admission (DPA)..............and the Joint poly Admission Ex (JPAE).............where they look into the talent and interest of individual students.............

otherwise post PSLE is still very much academic orientated........even if one is talented............they would expect them to at least finish "O" levels............

Turbocharged

must ask the person............or committee who proposed the system lor............ [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

next time tio spot check, say we conducting field study…. for our future generation…  [rolleyes]

I think this only happens after "O" levels............with the Direct Poly admission (DPA)..............and the Joint poly Admission Ex (JPAE).............where they look into the talent and interest of individual students.............

otherwise post PSLE is still very much academic orientated........even if one is talented............they would expect them to at least finish "O" levels............

So there is still a basic criteria that need to be fulfilled. 

DSA for music, alot of schools which has symphonic band performing in the yearly SYF will likely consider music as a possible DSA route.  Since my son plays the rock drums, we let him try out Maris Stella High via the symphonic band. Surprisingly got the CO despite different genre of music. And he can't read bean sprouts..

Actually is the other way round..............my son has always been interested in science...........since P3 when he first came into contact with science lessons..............he watch youtube everyday and experiment with whatever he sees............building weapons and toys with pvc pipes and planes with motors by lego............

When he spoke to his cousin last year after cousin DSA SST.............he came to me asking me to bring him to SST open house.........he wanted to see how SST is and how to take the MRT there...............he was 10 last year...........and PSLE is only due next year..........

both my daughters took part in SYF................which I believe is once every 2 years and not a yearly event..........but none decide to go the music route........... [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh] 

From my understanding..........all DSA needs to minimum qualify admission to express stream..............otherwise even if accepted also mayb revoke.........one of the reason i was told is DSA usually no normal classes.........I may be wrong here.........because I told my son.......to go to SST he has no choice of normal stream..........

So there is still a basic criteria that need to be fulfilled. 

as far as I understand.............YES...........

next time tio spot check, say we conducting field study…. for our future generation…  [rolleyes]

i usually say..............we are conducting audit on service industry standards................. [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Turbocharged

I have yet to find a good school in Singapore.

Primary school, the good grades are made possible by Billion$ tuition

Secondary school, the good grades are made possible by Billion $ tuition

Junior College, the good grades are made possible by Billion $ tuition

Sans some really smart students and some classes that have very dedicated Teachers.

Who are we kidding? Singapore only have School with As students. Is that a good school? No.

All the wonderful grades that outside countries are looking at Singapore saying Wow! Do not reflect the Actual Education system we really have.

MOE, year after year try to add more syllabi and increase the level of difficulty to the subjects and you have teachers rushing for time to teach all at fast pace ending up going through the motions and most students end up in tuition centers with parents paying big $.

Until We seriously want to give our children a good holistic education we are just using the education system to sieve out scholars.

I don't intend to offend any teacher because I believe many teachers want to teach but have too much things on their hands that they have little choice and time to give

Not all down to tuition 

My kid is doing well (so far) 

So far only chinese tuition until this year when start science

Neber hab Math or engrish but still in top 10-15% of skewl for both

Can do well in school without tuition 

↡ Advertisement