HU/speakers from amazon

Frost98

Hi folks,

I am thinking of buying Pioneer HU and speakers from Amazon.com. Will they be compatible to use in Singapore?

↡ Advertisement

I got a hu from

Amazon -

USA set may have some radio issue - cannot tune to 95.0 frequency etc-

99.5 , 93.3 , 98.7, 91.3, 90.5 got no issue

For a non radio guy I'm ok with less radio selection

Mostly 99.5 for me

I got the pioneer 4800

Much better audio quality :)

Hi folks,

I am thinking of buying Pioneer HU and speakers from Amazon.com. Will they be compatible to use in Singapore?

Speaker can try to get from Germany online retail

Can get back 19% vat rebate :)

post-17080-0-50362200-1460608483_thumb.jpeg

post-17080-0-22409000-1460608525_thumb.jpeg

post-17080-0-37891400-1460608536_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Meemee

I have only tried buying the front speakers, connectors and adaptor plates from amazon so far.

There are actually quite a lot of prep work to do before buying. I have to figure out how to pry open the door trim to get to the speakers.  Take pictures of the connectors, mine required special adaptor plates for the speaker.

Some back and forth email to the ventor to check on the sizes. Becoz I diy I know what to do and what to ask. I was actually lucky to get all the right sizes and even the right connectors. FYI the speakers do not come with connectors...it does come with a couple of universal adaptor plates.

It depends on your car. You have to pry open your door trim to find out what you require. I think local vendors will be able to help you install. I dun think it's rocket science.  HU wise you have to get the right size. If it requires a mounting bracket you got to get one too. HU not easy as you got to have the right tools to remove it if you want to DIY.

Edited by Watwheels

I have only tried buying the front speakers, connectors and adaptor plates from amazon so far.

There are actually quite a lot of prep work to do before buying. I have to figure out how to pry open the door trim to get to the speakers. Take pictures of the connectors, mine required special adaptor plates for the speaker.

Some back and forth email to the ventor to check on the sizes. Becoz I diy I know what to do and what to ask. I was actually lucky to get all the right sizes and even the right connectors. FYI the speakers do not come with connectors...it does come with a couple of universal adaptor plates.

It depends on your car. You have to pry open your door trim to find out what you require. I think local vendors will be able to help you install. I dun think it's rocket science. HU wise you have to get the right size. If it requires a mounting bracket you got to get one too. HU not easy as you got to have the right tools to remove it if you want to DIY.

Yes - agree - you may have to learn to open up and check on the connector

May need to get compatible connector

Actually DIY is fun ......

I did the hu installation - DIY

My second one :)

Glad I change the stock hu

As there is a vast improvement in the SQ

Picture of my DIY project

post-17080-0-10471800-1460609891_thumb.jpeg

post-17080-0-82268000-1460609922_thumb.jpeg

post-17080-0-56425900-1460609944_thumb.jpeg

post-17080-0-79080200-1460609971_thumb.jpeg

post-17080-0-37194300-1460610002_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Meemee
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

I bought HU, power amp and speakers from Amazon.

The only issue will be the radio freq. is according to USA standards.

You can only tune to FM 87.9, 88.1, 88.3, 88.5.. etc..odd numbers only.

Pioneer HU with BT is cheap at Amazon.

If you look at Sg standards or no standards, the FM channels are chapalang, odd and even numbers, unequally spaced.

You have 90.5 (odd), then somewhere along a 92.4. (even)

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 2

I bought HU, power amp and speakers from Amazon.

The only issue will be the radio freq. is according to USA standards.

You can only tune to FM 87.9, 88.1, 88.3, 88.5.. etc..odd numbers only.

Pioneer HU with BT is cheap at Amazon.

If you look at Sg standards or no standards, the FM channels are chapalang, odd and even numbers, unequally spaced.

You have 90.5 (odd), then somewhere along a 92.4. (even)

In terms of frequency modulation or FM the radio stations are given a set of frequency from IDA to choose from.

The 90.5 MHz or 92.4 MHz  are VHF or very high frequencies. The television using VHF and UHF.

There are also frequencies given to military & police to use.

That's why certain electronics you cannot buy from overseas, especially walkie talkies. They are usually pre-set with a number of frequencies and if your country's millitary or police has the same set of the frequency you might get into trouble with the authorities. So if you want to buy walkie talkies buy it locally. If you are overseas and want to use walkie talkies buy from the country you are currently staying. Otherwise the police there can arrest you for suspicion of spying if your walkie talkie is bought elsewhere.

HU from Japan and US better dun buy unless it's export model specifically for Singapore.

Frequencies are very sensitive when it comes to security. And it can be tracked by radio frequency triangulation. Any frequency related device even for remote devices(like car alarm),GPS and BT it's better buy locally. Those which got the IDA approved sticker.

• Praise 2

Thanks folks for the comments and advice. I was worried about the frequency of US head unit sets - looks like I am right. Class 95 is important to me. So I will probably only order the front speakers from Amazon. Will go Mustafa to look see look see.  

For class 95, can you set the frequency as 95.1 or 94.9 and still get a clear listen?

I got a hu from
Amazon -

USA set may have some radio issue - cannot tune to 95.0 frequency etc-
99.5 , 93.3 , 98.7, 91.3, 90.5 got no issue

For a non radio guy I'm ok with less radio selection
Mostly 99.5 for me

I got the pioneer 4800

Much better audio quality :)
Speaker can try to get from Germany online retail
Can get back 19% vat rebate :)

Thanks folks for the comments and advice. I was worried about the frequency of US head unit sets - looks like I am right. Class 95 is important to me. So I will probably only order the front speakers from Amazon. Will go Mustafa to look see look see.

For class 95, can you set the frequency as 95.1 or 94.9 and still get a clear listen?

Unable to ---- very distorted

Neutral Newbie

Hi, I'm thinking of buying from Mustafa. Can anyone advise if Mustafa sets will not have limitations on the frequency? 

Also, looking at Pioneer 2 DIN HUs. Are they all compatible to GPS add-on modules like RoadNavi? 

How abt amp and subwoofer? BOSS Audio AR1500M looks good

Worth to buy from amazon and ask workshop to install?

Edited by Hiton

Mustafa yandao or not?

He's popular for a reason. Safe or not I dunno. :D

You just make sure you use protection can already.

Mustafa ones are local export sets, local models but no warranty.

I have an old Accord (think 2005 or 2006 model) and thinking of upgrading to a simple HU that can at least play MP3 format cds...

Need to upgrade the "shell" in the car as well right? 

Anyone know a rough cost?

I have an old Accord (think 2005 or 2006 model) and thinking of upgrading to a simple HU that can at least play MP3 format cds...

A lot of single din HU has got a usb port, even for entry models. Just DL your music files to a thumb drive can already.

I think all you have to do is go down to any audio shop and give them a budget to work with.

at least 150$ I think

↡ Advertisement