2016 Apr, 2nd COE Bidding Exercise

yo2020

Supercharged

Woa.. wont the resale value of the popular Altis drop then? since they are going to be taxis??  :blink:

those who will consider buying Altis, probably not thinking about "face"/appearances.

they will say "see! they choose as taxi means it confirm reliable"

↡ Advertisement

I wonder what's the difference among renting a taxi, renting a private hired car from uber or others, buying a car and drive part time for uber? Taking SMRT private hired altis for example, $79 per day, per year is $28835, 5 years already $14415. More than price of a new car already, which can last for 10 years. So why rent from them? Why rent a private hired car instead of taxi since the rental is very close?

When they know they are going to lose market share, they try to create artificial competition, dilute the competition. Just like SIA/Tiger Air/Scoot. 

I wonder what's the difference among renting a taxi, renting a private hired car from uber or others, buying a car and drive part time for uber? Taking SMRT private hired altis for example, $79 per day, per year is $28835, 5 years already $14415. More than price of a new car already, which can last for 10 years. So why rent from them? Why rent a private hired car instead of taxi since the rental is very close?

Uber can earn $$$...they even promise you $6K per month..or $72K per year.

Minus your $28835...you still earn $43,165 per year.

$_20.JPG?set_id=8800005007

Neutral Newbie

those who will consider buying Altis, probably not thinking about "face"/appearances.

they will say "see! they choose as taxi means it confirm reliable"

Haha! I have a relative deciding between the Altis or Mazda 3, made up his mind to get the Altis a few days ago but now he is contemplating again lol. No doubt that it is a reliable car  [nod]

Uber can earn $$$...they even promise you $6K per month..or $72K per year.

Minus your $28835...you still earn $43,165 per year.

$_20.JPG?set_id=8800005007

bulls**t ! Unless you drive very long hours ! Furthermore , don't forget petrol cost . No MC , no leave , no CPF etc and must drive 365 days ! Edited by Char
  • Praise 1

Haha! I have a relative deciding between the Altis or Mazda 3, made up his mind to get the Altis a few days ago but now he is contemplating again lol. No doubt that it is a reliable car  [nod]

these 2 price and type (sedan) are so similar I would suggest considering new civic which is in the same cat

Haha! I have a relative deciding between the Altis or Mazda 3, made up his mind to get the Altis a few days ago but now he is contemplating again lol. No doubt that it is a reliable car [nod]

1 of the taxi is using Renault le. So Renault is reliable?

Hope of low Coe slowly going up in smoke..... So many companies doing taxi hire business . Now comes smrt to partner grab.. What next,,...

I think demand will remain high for at least till end of 2016.. Then comes 2017... Then all rush in . Rocket Liao...

1 of the taxi is using Renault le. So Renault is reliable?

Isn't Renault the same as nissan? they are in joint venture? no?  so should be reliable?

Hope of low Coe slowly going up in smoke..... So many companies doing taxi hire business . Now comes smrt to partner grab.. What next,,...

I think demand will remain high for at least till end of 2016.. Then comes 2017... Then all rush in . Rocket Liao...

just as all expected the prices to rocket...the unexpected happened?  

Woa.. wont the resale value of the popular Altis drop then? since they are going to be taxis?? :blink:

Who tell you they are going to be taxis?

Shoot up is a matter of time only

Taxi = Cat E COE.  But taxi not owned by driver, owned by fleet management company.  So will SMRT and so on continue holding to the 28 000 registered cabs if they start losing drivers, ie vehicle sitting in workshop and no one hire the vehicle as taxi shifu?

My bet is not, but we will have to see won't we?  Let's watch the taxi column and see what happens?

http://www.lta.gov.s...ehs_by_Type.pdf

In the overall schemes of things, the new incoming demand for cars as uber-like services is going to pale in comparison with the volume of COEs that is going to be available this year.  So even after the spike, COE will resume its fall.  

From a tactical perspective, knowing that these uber-like companies are going to be deep pocket, thus going to bid up prices, avoid buying a car for the next 6 auctions.  if you got no choice, then you have just have to blame the uber-like companies. for entering the market at this time to buy new cars.  Once their orders have been digested, prices will resume back to its normal falling path.

1427afn.png

If uber-like companies are going to join at the current COE level, then assuming that they grow from their current strength of 10 000 vehicles to 28 000 vehicles, they will have put in capital of in excess of 1.8 billion dollars to buy up the 18 000 Altis or better cars.

Another thing I have been trying to find out is number of registered taxi drivers... 

That will tell us how many are giving up and shifting over to Uber-like services...

There are two sources of drivers, ex-taxi drivers and partially employed people like insurance, housing agents and so on...

If you look at the public hire vehicles market in terms of rides, then the implications are:

1.  Number of rides remain constant (no one giving up cars yet and population is fairly constant, no additional rides because of these new services)

2. Supply side changes, Taxi drivers lost [<,>,=] Ex-taxi chauffeurs + new entrants chauffeurs

My guess is that ex-taxi drivers will be working working smarter for their daily earnings and the new entrants are not fully committed, so supply may fall in the near future, especially during odd hours like morning rush and midnights and so on.

Edited by Limwsv

34tdgt1.png

Prove me wrong and clear my conspiracy thoughts.

If total vehicles population is allowed to grow 0.5% yearly...

According to the chart...If this chart is correct and believable.

2014 got 972k++ vehicles, while

2016 got 952k++ vehicles.

How come 2016 has 20k++ Lesser vehicles compared to year 2014?

Edited by Jwee85
  • Praise 1

Buy from car show ? No way man.....

Bro, care to advice why not ?

I just wrote an email to MOT to complain about these pte hire competing Coe with us. And question them why taxi is remove from Coe bidding process but not these ppl.

I know maybe MOT won't give a damn, but won't try I never know and I expecting an answer from them.

Bro, since you are in conservation wtih MOT, can you ask them to consider giving locals a sub COE like our HDB, or make expats pay a little more like additional stamp duty like in property. Thanks mate

May be due to the adjustment for over projections done a couple years back.

Allowed to grow 0.5% doesn't mean will grow mar.

A lot of cars got deregistered in 2014 and 2015 due to high coe at that time.

• Praise 1

Garmen very smart... knowing that COE will crash soon, now they are encouraging Uber, Grab, SMRT etc to enter the "private" hire business, to expand their fleet and bid up the COE premium.

In reality it runs contrary to what the garmen says it is encouraging, i.e. give up the car to take public transport.  Private hire cars are worse than private cars as far as causing traffic congestion is concerned.  Assuming they are empty 30% of the time while cruising, and they (the car, not driver) are on the road for 18 hrs a day, compared to our private cars which are probably out 1.5 hrs a day, they are travelling 15-16 times more distance per day, 15-16 time more pollutive, wearing out our roads 15-16 time more, causing 15-16 times more congestion, and yet they pay the same road taxes.

Of course it is all in the garmen's plan and calculations, as more congestion means more ERP charges from us.....(and higher COE premiums too).

• Praise 8

if bought new car last year, now 1 year old, if scrap, coe + ARF rebate very clear. how about scrap car value? 20k OMV one can get back 10k meh?

↡ Advertisement