Kia Cerato Variant 2 persistent overheating issue

Zexel

Hi All,

i had recently purchased a 'new' 08 kia cerato variant 2, intending it to service my needs of ferrying my family and kiddo around.

Everything seems well and fine, until i went for a fan belt, water pump change 2 weeks later, as i want the car to be in perfect running condition.

After the change, things starts going haywire.. the car temperature gauge starts to creep up past 1/2 point mark, till 3/4 to 'Hot'.

This happened when i drove the car for some time (30 mins or so?) and when the car is idling either from traffic lights, or parked in the parking lot.

Rev-ing the car in neutral, or moving off will result in temperature dropping.

Fan is spinning when aircon is on, fan is spinning when aircon is off as well, hence mech said its isnt the issue.

Went back to garage the next day, was advised to changed out radiator and refresh a few hoses, as the radiator were kinda chocked with, and it even choked several hoses as well. Thermostat had been removed as well -.-

Sadly, after doing all the changes, the issue still persist.

Noticed during the testing of car after installation done, air bubbles were present in the coolant reserve tank. Mech said most likely head gasket is gone as well.

Curious any bro or sis or gurus had any similar experiences on this? how much roughly will the repair cost be this time? Sigh :/

Thanks!

↡ Advertisement

Fan working? Temperature still creep up? In that case, check your radiator, see if the water is circulating the system. Then next thing you can check is if the belt to run the water pump, is it working? If everything is working, then your radiator should be working.

Fan working? Temperature still creep up? In that case, check your radiator, see if the water is circulating the system. Then next thing you can check is if the belt to run the water pump, is it working? If everything is working, then your radiator should be working.

yes yes fan working :(

it creeps up when i idle the car, after maybe 20 to 30mins of driving.

the water is actually bubbling, or rather foaming out gently.. before change it is worse.

Belt just changed too, seems to run fine, no sound, running smoothly.

sian..

yes yes fan working :(

it creeps up when i idle the car, after maybe 20 to 30mins of driving.

the water is actually bubbling, or rather foaming out gently.. before change it is worse.

Belt just changed too, seems to run fine, no sound, running smoothly.

sian..

foaming out from where? The cap or the spare tank? If from cap, means the cap spoil and losing pressure.

foaming out from where? The cap or the spare tank? If from cap, means the cap spoil and losing pressure.

foaming out when i cold start the engine with radiator cap off.

Theres bubbles too in the coolant reserve tank when the mech rev it to see if it overheats after installation

foaming out when i cold start the engine with radiator cap off.

Theres bubbles too in the coolant reserve tank when the mech rev it to see if it overheats after installation

To confirm, belt is spinning when engine on right?

if so, then I'm quite sure this mechanic cannot make it. The pump is faulty. You see bubble in the coolant means your coolant is boiling. Actually, your radiator hose is not choke at all. Because before you change, your car has no issue.

Once you change pump and belt, your radiator boiling mean pump not pumping water to the radiator there to let fan cool down the water temp. Please go and check your pump. New one doesn't mean won't spoil. It could also be the mechanic level of competency in changing radiator pump. It could be as simple as he forgot to connect the wire for the water pump or he entangle some hose.

• Praise 6

(edited)

Might be an issue with the temperature sensor for the radiator (the one that regulates fan speed).  

icic.. ok i will ask about that when i go down to garage.. which is soon

To confirm, belt is spinning when engine on right?

if so, then I'm quite sure this mechanic cannot make it. The pump is faulty. You see bubble in the coolant means your coolant is boiling. Actually, your radiator hose is not choke at all. Because before you change, your car has no issue.

Once you change pump and belt, your radiator boiling mean pump not pumping water to the radiator there to let fan cool down the water temp. Please go and check your pump. New one doesn't mean won't spoil. It could also be the mechanic level of competency in changing radiator pump. It could be as simple as he forgot to connect the wire for the water pump or he entangle some hose.

Yes it is spinning well.

but in the morning, when i start my engine without rad cap on, also foam leh :(

quite true on ur hose reasoning.. sad thing is i nearly refresh my whole cooling system, yet it isnt resolved yet

ok i will check up my water pump as well.

Edited by Zexel

icic.. ok i will ask about that when i go down to garage.. which is soon

Yes it is spinning well.

but in the morning, when i start my engine without rad cap on, also foam leh :(

quite true on ur hose reasoning.. sad thing is i nearly refresh my whole cooling system, yet it isnt resolved yet

ok i will check up my water pump as well.

Your morning start is immediately you go and see or is it already running for a while? It can't be foaming immediately cause there is no heat.

bro.

you backside itchy ah. nothing wrong go and change it for what? haha.

jokes aside

which workshop ah? they changed so many things still cannot solve, think you should go bang table abit lah.

especially since before they changed everything was fine. probably during the installation process something cock up?

did they change new/original part or did they change recon?

some workshops a bit smelly. better find a trusted workshop check it out.

Hi All,

i had recently purchased a 'new' 08 kia cerato variant 2, intending it to service my needs of ferrying my family and kiddo around.

Everything seems well and fine, until i went for a fan belt, water pump change 2 weeks later, as i want the car to be in perfect running condition.

After the change, things starts going haywire.. the car temperature gauge starts to creep up past 1/2 point mark, till 3/4 to 'Hot'.

This happened when i drove the car for some time (30 mins or so?) and when the car is idling either from traffic lights, or parked in the parking lot.

Rev-ing the car in neutral, or moving off will result in temperature dropping.

Fan is spinning when aircon is on, fan is spinning when aircon is off as well, hence mech said its isnt the issue.

Went back to garage the next day, was advised to changed out radiator and refresh a few hoses, as the radiator were kinda chocked with, and it even choked several hoses as well. Thermostat had been removed as well -.-

Sadly, after doing all the changes, the issue still persist.

Noticed during the testing of car after installation done, air bubbles were present in the coolant reserve tank. Mech said most likely head gasket is gone as well.

Curious any bro or sis or gurus had any similar experiences on this? how much roughly will the repair cost be this time? Sigh :/

Thanks!

(edited)

Your morning start is immediately you go and see or is it already running for a while? It can't be foaming immediately cause there is no heat.

thats why, they mentioned its air bubbles, that occurs coz head gasket spoil.. the combustion in the engine forces air pocket into the coolant hence, bubbling! well.. thats what told to me!

bro.

you backside itchy ah. nothing wrong go and change it for what? haha.

jokes aside

which workshop ah? they changed so many things still cannot solve, think you should go bang table abit lah.

especially since before they changed everything was fine. probably during the installation process something cock up?

did they change new/original part or did they change recon?

some workshops a bit smelly. better find a trusted workshop check it out.

normally i will changed out all the belting and pump etc upon collecting my car leh, in case past owner never take care of it eh.

this is the first time it ever happened that changing it only make things worse. T.T

i guess they dunno what went wrong eh. as in. 1 innocent water pump n belting change, can result in all these things.

they changed new original kia parts!

im gg to seek 2nd opinion this coming friday, before that, i wont point fingers at them yet lol.

bro u have any ws to recommend? :(

Edited by Zexel

thats why, they mentioned its air bubbles, that occurs coz head gasket spoil.. the combustion in the engine forces air pocket into the coolant hence, bubbling! well.. thats what told to me!

if that is the case, you should see engine oil contaminating your coolant reservoir. You will see some murky whitish/brownish opaque stuff among the clear coolant.

• Praise 1

if that is the case, you should see engine oil contaminating your coolant reservoir. You will see some murky whitish/brownish opaque stuff among the clear coolant.

i will go inspect my coolant reservoir later!

Google for Harmony Motors.

pmed u!

i will go inspect my coolant reservoir later!

found a similar picture on the net on what happened when I had to replace my radiator and head gasket for my previous car 

mine is not as bad, can still see clear coolant, just maybe 25% of the tank has this mucky stuff.

13480325484_7454a83173_b.jpg

• Praise 2

normally i will changed out all the belting and pump etc upon collecting my car leh, in case past owner never take care of it eh.

this is the first time it ever happened that changing it only make things worse. T.T

i guess they dunno what went wrong eh. as in. 1 innocent water pump n belting change, can result in all these things.

they changed new original kia parts!

im gg to seek 2nd opinion this coming friday, before that, i wont point fingers at them yet lol.

bro u have any ws to recommend? :(

I never seen or heard such things before. The bubbles may come from the water pump impeller, probably the mechanical seal of the pump is leaking.

cavitation
ˌkavɪˈteɪʃ(ə)n/
noun
Physics
noun: cavitation
  1. the formation of an empty space within a solid object or body.
    • the formation of bubbles in a liquid, typically by the movement of a propeller through it.

You might want to consider bringing your car to a few different workshops and see what different mechanics say....

alright, considering that :(

found a similar picture on the net on what happened when I had to replace my radiator and head gasket for my previous car 

mine is not as bad, can still see clear coolant, just maybe 25% of the tank has this mucky stuff.

13480325484_7454a83173_b.jpg

eh wow!! mind certainly dun look like that :/ but i better double confirm. lol

thanks bro, that is sure useful.

I never seen or heard such things before. The bubbles may come from the water pump impeller, probably the mechanical seal of the pump is leaking.

cavitation
ˌkavɪˈteɪʃ(ə)n/
noun
Physics
noun: cavitation
  1. the formation of an empty space within a solid object or body.
    • the formation of bubbles in a liquid, typically by the movement of a propeller through it.

ok i better ask the next ws to check on that! i spent 1k on everything to create trouble for myself. lol. tragic

↡ Advertisement