Kia Cerato Variant 2 persistent overheating issue

Zexel

the Kia cerato v2 u purchaSed, is it from one of the dealers at automobile megamart ubi AML bulding?

yes !

↡ Advertisement

You the previous owner?

Yes. My father in law was the owner. But i am the one that is helping him send in and out of workshop every single time.

Please don't tell me you are the owner now. 

Oh.. scare me. That car was practically junk when we sold it because of overheating issues also.

I will just share what has happened to that silver variant 2, maybe yours might have the same symptoms and you will know what's wrong.

Symptoms:

1) Engine overheat randomly while idling

2) When car is moving, no overheat

3) Coolant is at "full mark" but doesn't help

My trusted mechanic for 15 years plug in OBD port and check no errors. Replace whatever that has got to do with cooling the engine, radiator cap, fan, belt, thermostat, flush coolant, change EO, triple check for any leaks, change coolant hose. No use.. still same issue.

My mechanic also scratch head and suspect aircon compressor maybe got fault. i hear liao also stun. But we trust him as all my friend and our family cars he's taking care of the fixing and repair.

So he asked his aircon mechanic friend to come by his shop to take a look at our car, aircon mechanic check and check and diagnose it with aircon wiring fault. To prove his point, he off the engine and turn off the aircon switch. He then crank engine and start the engine, after engine start for 10 seconds, he turn on aircon, immediately engine stall (we didn't know this symptom as we always leave the aircon on.)

By then we are so tired with fixing this car that we decided to sell it 4 months ago.

Don't ask me how come aircon wiring can cause overheat or what, i really don't know. I am telling you based on what was conveyed.

I hope the information helps you.

Edit: to add in, we also did throttle body cleaning, change sparkies to NGK iridium and new K&N filter. Nothing helps until aircon mechanic diagnose it with wiring fault. And we are the first owner and mileage less than 50k km when we sold it. 

walao the symptoms sounds similar leh! but been driving for 3 weeks, no issue or sort of. its only after changing of water pump and fan belt.

this car had 106k km on it already!

(edited)

how many owner?

resprayed?

converted from OPC?

1 owner!

oh god how to check?

Edited by Zexel

Hi All,

i had recently purchased a 'new' 08 kia cerato variant 2, intending it to service my needs of ferrying my family and kiddo around.

Everything seems well and fine, until i went for a fan belt, water pump change 2 weeks later, as i want the car to be in perfect running condition.

After the change, things starts going haywire.. the car temperature gauge starts to creep up past 1/2 point mark, till 3/4 to 'Hot'.

This happened when i drove the car for some time (30 mins or so?) and when the car is idling either from traffic lights, or parked in the parking lot.

Rev-ing the car in neutral, or moving off will result in temperature dropping.

Fan is spinning when aircon is on, fan is spinning when aircon is off as well, hence mech said its isnt the issue.

Went back to garage the next day, was advised to changed out radiator and refresh a few hoses, as the radiator were kinda chocked with, and it even choked several hoses as well. Thermostat had been removed as well -.-

Sadly, after doing all the changes, the issue still persist.

Noticed during the testing of car after installation done, air bubbles were present in the coolant reserve tank. Mech said most likely head gasket is gone as well.

Curious any bro or sis or gurus had any similar experiences on this? how much roughly will the repair cost be this time? Sigh :/

Thanks!

By right your car have 2 fans, one is for ac condensor which also helps a bit in radiator cooling another is for radiator cooling, are you sure the radiator fan are working? Best is to do not on the ac when doing fan diagnostic. For my car, the radiator fan is control by a fail safe temp sensor i not sure if cerato is using the same method, you need to check the sensor and the fan relay. 

When coolant are replaced, there will always be some air traps inside the system, it will take days for the air to be exchange via the secondary coolant tank, just took up the tank when u see there is a drop. If there is exhaust leak workshop should be able to check the exhaust leak via the radiator using the leak detector solution. 

Try changing the thermostat and radiator cap like some of us advise. Another thing is the water pump original? there are cases when pump impeller failed.

• Praise 1

(edited)

By right your car have 2 fans, one is for ac condensor which also helps a bit in radiator cooling another is for radiator cooling, are you sure the radiator fan are working? Best is to do not on the ac when doing fan diagnostic. For my car, the radiator fan is control by a fail safe temp sensor i not sure if cerato is using the same method, you need to check the sensor and the fan relay. 

When coolant are replaced, there will always be some air traps inside the system, it will take days for the air to be exchange via the secondary coolant tank, just took up the tank when u see there is a drop. If there is exhaust leak workshop should be able to check the exhaust leak via the radiator using the leak detector solution. 

Try changing the thermostat and radiator cap like some of us advise. Another thing is the water pump original? there are cases when pump impeller failed.

thanks for ur advise, my car currently had no thermostat, and radiator cap is new as i change to a new radiator as well. everything is original from kia.

my car only have one fan!

Edited by Zexel

Are you still troubleshooting this ?

Its obviously a head gasket leak where the engine is sending air into the cooling system.

Are you still troubleshooting this ?

Its obviously a head gasket leak where the engine is sending air into the cooling system.

hello bro, yes still looking into this. will be sending my car to ws to check tomorrow !

but why doesnt it happen before the change of water pump and belt? reasonable to think that it happened right after the change?

hello bro, yes still looking into this. will be sending my car to ws to check tomorrow !

but why doesnt it happen before the change of water pump and belt? reasonable to think that it happened right after the change?

It could be simply noticing it due to longer driving period or after the head gaskets deteriorate enough.

it is too early to try to explain.

find the root of the problem first.

Normally, I changed water pump together with timing belt. So if timing belt not set in correct position, it will cause overheating ( depending belt in advance/retard position ? MO.

Normally, I changed water pump together with timing belt. So if timing belt not set in correct position, it will cause overheating ( depending belt in advance/retard position ? MO.

v2 have timing chain only tho, so the only belt i changed w the water pump, is my fan belt :)

ok get them to check too!

Harmony motor?