Nissan QashQai 2014 Part 2

RadX

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/qashqai-cachet

When SUVs were a novelty a quarter of a century ago, it was fairly easy to write about them because you simply focused on how different they were from sedans and hatches.

But now that they have multiplied like rabbits, it is harder. Because now, you have to actually compare them with one another. That gets trickier. Because like rabbits, they are a pretty homogeneous bunch.

The Nissan Qashqai blew in here back in 2008 like a breath of fresh air. It was a Japanese car with chic European styling (made in the United Kingdom), it was light and breezy (unlike the rather chunky genre back then), and it offered a high level of driveability, with a cabin full of ambience and nifty features.

In 2014, the second-generation car arrived and made an even bigger impact because of its edgier design and because it had the option of a new 1.2-litre turbo engine.

Now, we are faced with a facelift of the second-generation car.

Facelifts are even harder to write about because they tend to be - but not always - nothing more than a dash of nips and tucks.

In the case of the Qashqai, the changes are mostly cosmetic. Even so, you cannot shake off the impression of a well-sorted car that is as pleasant as its predecessors. It is lightfooted and as manoeuvrable as a compact hatchback.

The 1.2-litre turbo is actually better suited for urban driving. It offers more low-end torque and the car is 100kg lighter. At the wheel, this is pleasantly obvious.

The facelift has made the Qashqai sharper looking, with a more prominent V-shaped grille, stretched boomerang daytime-running LEDs (which are mirrored in the rear light clusters), revised bumpers and fog lamp housings, a shark-fin antenna and new 19-inch alloys.

The car's overall length has grown by 14mm to 4,394mm because of the styling tweaks.

Inside, the only visual difference is the redesigned multi-function steering wheel.

But the 2-litre car comes with a slew of new features, including Nappa leather upholstery and powered front seats with lumbar support (with memory function for driver).

Surprising for its price segment are gadgets like adaptive cruise control, lane-departure warning, blind spot warning, 360-degree camera, rear cross traffic alert, adaptive front lamps and driver alertness monitor. Essentially, things which are found in a mid- to upper-range Audi or Merc.

The 1.2-litre has far fewer items and smaller 17-inch wheels. But it is still relatively well-equipped with six airbags, Nissan's version of torque vectoring and that mysterious ride control.

Of the two, the smaller-engined car offers better value and is more attractive overall.

↡ Advertisement

I pumped 51 liters with mileage of 526km.

Around 30% expressway and 70% city, max speed 90km/h.

FC not good at all...

Now I switch in Eco mode.

See if any improvement.

For driving wise, I feel that not much different between normal and Eco mode.

Hi Iroyh,

Paiseh but wun be doing another MO.

Find ways e.g. via vpost to buy this new compact version with required th-05a harness and go elite car to install if not going to mcwell for the std version with same functionalities. Epivot ethrottle is super reliable and both mine in qashqai and forester arr from previous sunny and estima ..great ROI of >10 years.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/262295844725

Cheers.

Richard

Thanks for sharing.

I wanted to add ethrottle, but afraid my FC will suffer more...

• Praise 3

Same here, interested but worried about the FC.

Will the ethrottle reduce the FC drastically or just a by abit? I think if it not by too much then I wouldn't mind, if it could make my driving experience more enjoyable.

Ask your TC sales agent to throw it in for free?

I think it is thrown in by default, they even ask me what color do I want for it lol.

Or maybe now sales too good so they dgaf.

FC not good at all...

See if any improvement.

Thanks for sharing.

70% city... city or small road I average are 9-10km/l... this engine like to drink when slow...
  • Praise 2

FC not good at all...

See if any improvement.

Thanks for sharing.

The car actually comes with a basic option to change to eco and sport modes. You can actuallu try out the sport mode first to see if better for you. Ethrottles (some models) is better as may have more options.

The 1.2T version already weighs more than 1300kg, so the engine has to work pretty hard to move quickly. It's a compromise between going slow and steady or making brisk progress..

70% city... city or small road I average are 9-10km/l... this engine like to drink when slow...

Same observation on my Pulsar.... very bad FC for my ride.

• Praise 1

The car actually comes with a basic option to change to eco and sport modes. You can actuallu try out the sport mode first to see if better for you. Ethrottles (some models) is better as may have more options.

New FL doesn't have this function wor...

Same observation on my Pulsar.... very bad FC for my ride.

I drove ~ 30km today on expressway + smooth traffic on Mandai road, the fuel economy meter shown 5.2l / 100km...

I guess this car is meant for long distance traveling.

Will go Malaysia after 1000km servicing, will see how it's FC perform at high speed + long distance.

I drove ~ 30km today on expressway + smooth traffic on Mandai road, the fuel economy meter shown 5.2l / 100km...

I guess this car is meant for long distance traveling.

Will go Malaysia after 1000km servicing, will see how it's FC perform at high speed + long distance.

I am still running in, now close to 1k. The FC seems ok on highway but once you go around city or slow driving you can see the engine start drinking petrol like water. 

Neutral Newbie

Hi Iroyh,

Paiseh but wun be doing another MO.

Find ways e.g. via vpost to buy this new compact version with required th-05a harness and go elite car to install if not going to mcwell for the std version with same functionalities. Epivot ethrottle is super reliable and both mine in qashqai and forester arr from previous sunny and estima ..great ROI of >10 years.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/262295844725

Cheers.

Richard

thank you so much!!!

ill just re-consider this when the car comes, hahah I got the lite version instead because i didnt see the need for a reverse Camera or a GPS.

any Watsapp group here that i can join?

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Sorry,

was also reading up on the no autolock function, how did you guys resolve this?

thought this  is a basic feature for all cars hahah!

Edited by Iroyh
↡ Advertisement