SIA and Korean Air planes almost collide at Incheon on May 5

Stooky

(edited)

SQ16 was accelerating for takeoff at 120km/h when a Korean Air Airbus plane KE929  unexpectedly taxied onto the runway. SQ16 did an emergency braking following instructions that were received from air traffic control, damaging its tyres. The two planes were about 1.7km apart when both came to a complete stop, 

SQ16's departure was delayed for about 19 hours as the plane's tyres had to be replaced.  KE929, meanwhile, was diverted back to the apron and took off about two hours after the incident. Its pilots were said to have ignored earlier instructions from the air traffic controller. 

South Korea's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport is investigating and is expected to release its report in 2 to 3 weeks.

Edited by Stooky
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Supersonic

Plane already accelerated for takeoff at 120km/h and yet still can jam brake?! Anyway, luckily potential accident have been avoided. But they need to take 19 hours to change the plane tyres?

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

ZZZ lucky the SQ pilots were paying attention.

Plane already accelerated for takeoff at 120km/h and yet still can jam brake?! Anyway, luckily potential accident have been avoided. But they need to take 19 hours to change the plane tyres?

Eh airplane tyre lah. not bicycle tyre  [laugh]

• Praise 8

Kudos to the SQ pilots for being able to brake in time to prevent the accident. Read from the other news site that the SQ plane's landing gear was damaged too. Looks like the ATC and the pilots of the KE flight going to lose their jobs

Supercharged

SQ16 was accelerating for takeoff at 120km/h when a Korean Air Airbus plane KE929  unexpectedly taxied onto the runway. SQ16 did an emergency braking following instructions that were received from air traffic control, damaging its tyres. The two planes were about 1.7km apart when both came to a complete stop, 

SQ16's departure was delayed for about 19 hours as the plane's tyres had to be replaced.  KE929, meanwhile, was diverted back to the apron and took off about two hours after the incident. Its pilots were said to have ignored earlier instructions from the air traffic controller. 

South Korea's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport is investigating and is expected to release its report in 2 to 3 weeks.

oh!  I used to take SQ16 from SG to Seoul!

• Praise 2

Supersonic
(edited)

ZZZ lucky the SQ pilots were paying attention.

Eh airplane tyre lah. not bicycle tyre  [laugh]

Ya hor, it is airplane tyre, not bicycle tyre. [:p]  Think there should be more than one tyre damaged? Really lucky that the plane can jam brake on time!

Edited by 13177

1.7 KM still far lel .... 120 km/hr not even half the min speed for flight . 

I can imagine how the stewardesses feeling   :D  :evilish:

oh!  I used to take SQ16 from SG to Seoul!

you go there for cosmetic surgery ?   :secret-laugh:

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

(edited)

I can imagine how the stewardesses, pilots and passengers feeling   :D  :evilish:

add for you

:XD:

Edited by Toothiewabbit
  • Praise 2

Twincharged

good to see that your foremost concern is for the vulnerable stewardess  [laugh]

• Praise 3

Twincharged

Plane already accelerated for takeoff at 120km/h and yet still can jam brake?! Anyway, luckily potential accident have been avoided. But they need to take 19 hours to change the plane tyres?

Passengers get on or get off probably take a few hours already before can towed to workshop.

Clean up all the spilled drinks and dirty seats and cabinets.

Actual changing a few hours. . How to jack up a fully loaded plane I wonder if need to unload everything first.

Recheck by all engineers.

Reload all fuel and perishable f&b.

Restart all security checks and boarding pass.

Most important. .. book new take off and landing time.

Think about there. ..

The Korean air should compensate for all the delay and damages   [mad]  [mad]

i hope the pilot is not the one who ignore the instruction, he should be grounded and retake his license [mad]  [mad]

Turbocharged

the Incheon runway is 3750 m long.

that means SQ16 travelled 2050 m on the runway.

http://www.civilaviation.eu/Boeing/777-300.htm

The max take off weight need 3353 m and about 345kmh take off speed.

my guess is it took less than 1000 m to do braking.

coupled with max load and the normal braking is over 3000m runway and never to full stop, the stress on the brakes could be 3 to 5 times more than normal operating conditions. could be more.

• Praise 2

It's ultimately in pilot's hands and responsibilities. 

Kudos to the SQ pilots for being able to brake in time to prevent the accident. Read from the other news site that the SQ plane's landing gear was damaged too. Looks like the ATC and the pilots of the KE flight going to lose their jobs

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1