SIA and Korean Air planes almost collide at Incheon on May 5

Stooky

Turbocharged
(edited)

Plane already accelerated for takeoff at 120km/h and yet still can jam brake?! Anyway, luckily potential accident have been avoided. But they need to take 19 hours to change the plane tyres?

The changing part is quite straightforward.. I kena before.. 1 tire around 45 mins to change..

The long wait is waiting for the spare parts to arrive.. And not everyone has a bunch of 777 tires lying in their warehouse..

Edited by Shull
↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Plane already accelerated for takeoff at 120km/h and yet still can jam brake?! Anyway, luckily potential accident have been avoided. But they need to take 19 hours to change the plane tyres?

Luckily the plane has not reached V1 yet, if not, it will be a major disaster.

How did the Koreans make that mistake?

Luckily the plane has not reached V1 yet, if not, it will be a major disaster.

How did the Koreans make that mistake?

Soju was given by stewardess instead of standard coffee ... ... [sly]

what are you talkin' about? :o

Maybe he means parachute like jet fighters whilst making a landing. They will deploy the parachute to slow down the plane ... :secret-laugh:

Better still, those 'deck steel cables' on board the aircraft carrier ...   :yeah-im-not-drunk:

I grew up with no K-Pop or K-Drama, but reading news about collapse of major shopping malls, wealthy chaebols and corruption in South Korea. I must say they have come a long way, but I still have my reservations.

went kr for several working trips in the past.was never interested in their kpop as well except drooling on some sweet plastic sexy girls on screen.

to me they are just the same as china-chinese except speaking in their korean dialect/language and probably better behave than the chinese in general.

if china did not have their MAO communist era,i am quite sure they would have attain their current world status 20 years ago at least.now communist is just a name tag for them but operation wise is a total deviation for communism.

(edited)

operation wise ... they are more capitalist than capitalism ... LOL

有钱能使鬼推磨

went kr for several working trips in the past.was never interested in their kpop as well except drooling on some sweet plastic sexy girls on screen.

to me they are just the same as china-chinese except speaking in their korean dialect/language and probably better behave than the chinese in general.

if china did not have their MAO communist era,i am quite sure they would have attain their current world status 20 years ago at least.now communist is just a name tag for them but operation wise is a total deviation for communism.

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

ZZZ lucky the SQ pilots were paying attention.

Eh airplane tyre lah. not bicycle tyre  [laugh]

and they need to check the braking system as well, take off weight is the heaviest with the fuel on board.  

that is one of the test to get the aircraft certified for carrying passenger, abort take off at take off speed.

luckily it is a 777 if it was a A380 imagine what the brakes got to do to bring the giant to a stand still from take off speed.

The autobrakes will provide maximum brake pressure when the thrust levers are retarded to idle above 85 kts.

The tires didn't burst/blow out, the tire temperature got so high the fuse plugs melted deflating the tires and preventing a burst/blow out.

• Praise 3

The autobrakes will provide maximum brake pressure when the thrust levers are retarded to idle above 85 kts.

The tires didn't burst/blow out, the tire temperature got so high the fuse plugs melted deflating the tires and preventing a burst/blow out.

Is the deflation a built-in safety feature?

Twincharged

Is the deflation a built-in safety feature?

Yup. Its to prevent the tires from exploding cuz the pressure in the tires will get very high when it heats up. Once it hits a certain temperature, the fuse will melt and the air can escape.

• Praise 2

didn't know the Vespa scooter look alike tyres so high tech.  :D

Yup. Its to prevent the tires from exploding cuz the pressure in the tires will get very high when it heats up. Once it hits a certain temperature, the fuse will melt and the air can escape.

• Praise 1

didn't know the Vespa scooter look alike tyres so high tech.  :D

They have to be. Imagine the tyres which is highly pressurised burst at take off speeds, a big fully fuelled boeing 777 or airbus a380 will go out of control and crash, effectively it becomes a missile. Aircrafts steering at take off speed is thru rudder inputs and not steering wheel (called Tiller in aircraft) and even a burst tyre the aircraft becomes very difficult to control.

The Air France Concorde crash is a example of how dangerous a burst aircraft tyre can be

• Praise 4

modern day aviation safety advances are more often than not paid for by aviation mishaps that occured throughout history.

• Praise 4

SQ pilot kia si ba ... jam brake all the way without thinking how many implants will be affected .... sigh 

on boeing777, once throttle is retarded at take off speed above 85 knots, the auto brakes will engage at maximum (all computerised, no human input). Not SIA pilot kiasi, its a boeing safety feature

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

on boeing777, once throttle is retarded at take off speed above 85 knots, the auto brakes will engage at maximum (all computerised, no human input). Not SIA pilot kiasi, its a boeing safety feature

wah pilot enlightening us is the best.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

I always thought airplane tyres are solid rubber haha  [laugh]

• Praise 1

The changing part is quite straightforward.. I kena before.. 1 tire around 45 mins to change..

The long wait is waiting for the spare parts to arrive.. And not everyone has a bunch of 777 tires lying in their warehouse..

Korea Air operates the same aircraft type and B777 is one of the most common aircraft thus there should be little issues with spare tires, plus its at Incheon, a major airport.

If all else fails, there is Hankook!

I always thought airplane tyres are solid rubber haha  [laugh]

it will be too heavy! in commercial aircraft ops, weight is always a big issue! Which is why we have the airbus A350 or B787 dreamliner which are made of composite and highly fuel efficient. Every effort is made to shed aircraft weight to save fuel.

For comparison, even at todays low oil prices, the airbus A340-500 which SIA used to operate non stop flights to USA will still be unprofitable as the airframe is heavy with 4 engines. The airbus A350 on the other hand even if oil prices rises significantly can operate non stop flights to USA profitably.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6