Spore woman dies after falling off cliff in Blue Mountain

Jman888

didn't want to show her photo, you can find it here.

Singapore woman dies after falling off cliff in Australia‘s Blue Mountains
Yahoo Singapore
May 11, 2016

A Sydney-based teaching student from Singapore died on Wednesday (11 May) after she slipped and fell off a cliff a day earlier while hiking in the Blue Mountains in Australia.

According to Australian media reports, Cheng Shi Min had lost her footing while she was peering over the top of a waterfall.

Her boyfriend, Henry Yendle, told the Australian media that he and Cheng’s father rushed down as quickly as they could and found her lying face-down in the water.

“First I sort of just heard a scream and then a loud bang,” Yendle told the Sydney Morning Herald. He also said they tried for 20 minutes to pull her out of the freezing water.

Cheng, Yendle and Cheng’s father had been hiking the trail in the Blue Mountains National Park when the accident happened around 1.30pm, Sydney local time. 

The Australian Associated Press reported that it took an hour for paramedics to arrive on foot and several extra hours to carry her out on a stretcher, as strong winds had prevented a helicopter evacuation.

According to a series of photographs from Cheng’s Facebook page, she had previously visited the area alone in January 2015.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

RIP!  Near the THREE SISTERS?  

Been there a few times.  Nice place and very peaceful

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

This sort of thing only happens to very nice good people

who are so happy.

The evil mother in law that doesn't like the nice son in law

nothing ever happens to people like her.

:D

• Praise 6

who are so happy.

Sad fact of life, makes me wanna reconsider being nice sometimes  :a-bang:

As they say, nice guys finish last.

On a side note, RIP and condolences to the family. Life is so fragile and unpredictable, so we should make every day and every moment count, and live without regrets cos (touchwood) you never know when your time will come

• Praise 2

Supersonic
(edited)

Reminds me 20 yrs ago, I was peering down at the top of a waterfall in Thailand.

I notice the steps were very slippery due to the water. If I've taken a misstep, it would have been fatal.

I swear never do that again.

Still get the chills today thinking about it.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 1

Reminds me 20 yrs ago, I was peering down at the top of a waterfall in Thailand.

I notice the steps were very slippery due to the water. If I've taken a misstep, it would have been fatal.

yah. we did many things when we were young and reckless. surely we would say NO IF our children wants to do it now..... 

all i can say is, 随缘 and YOLO !!!! 

• Praise 1

Supercharged

yah. we did many things when we were young and reckless. surely we would say NO IF our children wants to do it now.....

all i can say is, éç¼ and YOLO !!!!

YOLO doesn't apply to stupidity.

Stupidity will result in YODO

• Praise 4

all i can say is, 随缘 and YOLO !!!! 

exactly, reckless things we did in the past could also be so close to death which we dun even know, maybe time not due yet.

Supersonic

who are so happy.

That explains why RadX go there a few times n still no luck for us....
  • Praise 2

A Sydney-based teaching student from Singapore died on Wednesday (11 May) after she slipped and fell off a cliff a day earlier while hiking in the Blue Mountains in Australia . . . .

in my terms, there are only 2 types of overseas students from here (regardless of very Kiasu or Kiasi.....):

• Rich - spare $ to enjoy, nice hostel and lodgings, attend nonsensical events to boost up their "class"
  • No-so Rich - reside in nobody-wanna-go cheap lodgings, do "so-called illegal'' jobs to last thru the semesters etc.

during my time as an overseas student, where got so much time & money to go around hiking & having so much fun

so worry of $$$ if its enuff to last thru the semester and bunked inside the school lab for nights to rush assignments and kana chased off by security

even gotta do "illegal" part-time stints in restaurants, logistics helper in mobile events like concerts, fashion shows etc.

(gigs with Cranberries, The Smith, Big Country . . . Vogue in Paris etc...)

I wonder do these well-off students ever spare a thought while they were having so fun overseas than studying, in the expense of their slogging parents?

(edited)

yup, same sentiments....when I recalled participating in rappelling activities at Dairy Farm quarry off BT hill.

Young, pseudo-gungho, I found myself standing at the edges and slopes on top of the quarry without safety harness at times....I shudder whenever I think about it now and then....

Edited by Toothiewabbit
  • Praise 1

Let's focus on the accident part of it.

Not on our personal prejudice against certain group of people.

Fact is: no one deserves to die in this sort of accident  no matter how bad a person is in real life, what more we do not know the person well enough to make that judgement.

A Sydney-based teaching student from Singapore died on Wednesday (11 May) after she slipped and fell off a cliff a day earlier while hiking in the Blue Mountains in Australia . . . .

in my terms, there are only 2 types of overseas students from here (regardless of very Kiasu or Kiasi.....):

• Rich - spare $ to enjoy, nice hostel and lodgings, attend nonsensical events to boost up their "class"
  • No-so Rich - reside in nobody-wanna-go cheap lodgings, do "so-called illegal'' jobs to last thru the semesters etc.

during my time as an overseas student, where got so much time & money to go around hiking & having so much fun

so worry of $$$ if its enuff to last thru the semester and bunked inside the school lab for nights to rush assignments and kana chased off by security

even gotta do "illegal" part-time stints in restaurants, logistics helper in mobile events like concerts, fashion shows etc.

I wonder do these well-off students ever spare a thought while they were having so fun overseas than studying, in the expense of their slogging parents?

• Praise 3

err.... at least hiking is free mah unless you talk about flying cross states and check into 5* hotels. i also did some travelling during winter holiday while studying there. stayed in caravan park ($7 per night if shared with 3-4 pax), cook your own meal, rent a car is not that expensive, go to scenic places like natural parks, caves, mountain, etc. that dun cost money.

part time is not illegal in australia but limit up to a certain number of hour, i was lucky managed to get $10/hr for washing dishes in a Jap restaurant  25 years ago  [laugh]  

↡ Advertisement