Simi si "Chinese Helicopter"? Dialect lingua

Darthrevan

Meanwhile..."my inkglis is...er...belly de gootsss."

Exactly what Roadrunner had pointed out:

Why such people have a screwed up mind-set to think Chinese-speaking Singaporeans are foreigners ?

Is this a racial thing or folks at Oxford dick aren't even locals to appreciate the REAL Singlish?

Least we forget, most of our parents and grandparents were mostly from Chinese-educated background....These are the very people we paid respect to during SG50 as the Pioneer Generation.

Hypersonic

This has been reported in Zaobao.   So far none of the English-language MSM mentioned this on-going petition.

VOTE: Petitions to have a derogatory term removed from the Oxford English Dictionary.

There is nothing wrong being Chinese educated. It is absolutely wrong to make fun of them."

- Chui Yng Ho , Singapore, Singapore

https://www.change.org/p/singaporeans-get-petitions-to-have-a-derogatory-term-removed-from-the-oxford-english-dictionary-87408ff4-ef43-4a7a-bb18-85cbd036ddfe

Mentioned today in ST liao

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/petition-to-remove-chinese-helicopter-from-oxford-english-dictionary?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&link_time=1464401233#xtor=CS1-10

Thanks for pointing this out  - though unsurprisingly, it took over a few day for a major national English-paper to report this.

Either the ST lacks Chinese-educated or Chinese-language capable staffing  or they simply has no clue the issue this terms has created for Singaporean.

Even worst, the Singlish list is determined not by a Singaporean, but by a Filipino working for Oxford-dick. :huh:

seminar%2018-May-2016.jpg

Singaporean don't feel any sense of ownership of own culture and languages. Better convert into amdk.

I am happy to say there isn'tt the case - Singaporean needs to own and be in-charge of their what is supposed to be ours, not by some foreigners..

What is worst is by allowing OED (Oxford English Dictionary) decision to go unchallenged, we are essentially allowing our multilingualism policy be made mockery of.

I have voted and I am sure like-minded MCF forummers would too.

Let Singaporeans voice be heard before Singlish gets hijacked by non-Singaporean who has no interest in our history and allowing them to insult a generation of Singaporeans who had given up so-much during our earlier years.

This has been reported in Zaobao. So far none of the English-language MSM mentioned this on-going petition.

VOTE: Petitions to have a derogatory term removed from the Oxford English Dictionary.

There is nothing wrong being Chinese educated. It is absolutely wrong to make fun of them."

- Chui Yng Ho , Singapore, Singapore

https://www.change.org/p/singaporeans-get-petitions-to-have-a-derogatory-term-removed-from-the-oxford-english-dictionary-87408ff4-ef43-4a7a-bb18-85cbd036ddfe

Thanks, I signed up Liao... Stupid "Chinese helicopter" ..

So many nice Singlish slang they don't include ... Include one that was used in the military donkey years ago ...

It is a mockery to Singapore if this word stays in the dictionary ..probably less than 10% of the population knows it and even more miserable % of people uses it....

(edited)

Singaporeans need to own and take charge, but are we ?

I have written directly to the person who is responsible for including the derogatory term into OED's latest Singlish list over last week.

Profile: http://oup.academia.edu/DanicaSalazar

At least, I am acting on this and not just kpkb @ MCF only.

Edited by Wishcumstrue
↡ Advertisement