Simi si "Chinese Helicopter"? Dialect lingua

Darthrevan

Supercharged

Great job by them! [thumbsup] Dialects should never have been "banned". It was a stupid initiative by WHOEVER started it. [:|]

Yeah, WHOEVER who ban it......... it was a very stupid move

↡ Advertisement

fellow Hockchew bro! me too a Hockchew "noin".spoke it to my dad and ah ma / relatives often..

"nu eh you khong ji mana wa jin hor lao lo,jin na noin to meh you khong" [grin]

Dialects?

Hokkien had, has and will always be spoken by yours truly at my home with my mum, in camp (de facto working language inside there but fortunately they terminated my "membership" liao [thumbsup] ), at my work place and at my favourite makan place - hawker centres. Excel in Hokkien [furious] phrases especially [sly]

Also fluent in Cantonese thanks to the early HK serials like 變色龍,網中人,小李飛刀, etc & I can keng with folks when in HK mo mun tai.

Understands Teochew and can ta with some older lau nang ke bo boon dwei.

Hockchew r hopeless even though I am one because my late old man never taught me except the phrase "ka liu, ka liu which any Hockchew child will understand [laugh] [laugh]

Kek or Hakka, Hainanese or Fuqing (福清) hua tou ham pu lang buay hiao liao...

fellow Hockchew bro! me too a Hockchew "noin".spoke it to my dad and ah ma / relatives often..

meh you khong le.

Like mentioned- hopeless.

Our community not very big and probably our folks know each other.

Not sure about your experience but when young one time my friends who were at my place suddenly wanted to leave.

Puzzled I queried them why and they lowered their voices to say my late old man was quarreling with someone over the phone.

Exprained to them that was how they, or rather us, Hockchews talked which was usually very loud.

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

i always go to this small restaurant along beach road for lunch, the owner is from Hockchew (PRC) always converse with her mum in Hockchew, i hardly can understand a word, maybe you can come here for lunch or dinner to pick up the PURE Hockchew from them :D

• Praise 1

i always go to this small restaurant along beach road for lunch, the owner is from Hockchew (PRC) always converse with her mum in Hockchew, i hardly can understand a word, maybe you can come here for lunch or dinner to pick up the PURE Hockchew from them :D

Bro do you know my elder brother who also know nuts about Hockchew say about it?

He said machiam someone speaking Tamil because the language is very difficult to both speak & understand unlike Hokkien, Teochew or Cantonese.

Fuqing is another langauge quite close to Hockchew as I understand but again meh you khong...

Bro do you know my elder brother who also know nuts about Hockchew say about it?

He said machiam someone speaking Tamil because the language is very difficult to both speak & understand unlike Hokkien, Teochew or Cantonese.

Fuqing is another langauge quite close to Hockchew as I understand but again meh you khong...

the dialect to me feel very 'hard' like rock (like kena hammered!), if you know what i mean, some dialect you can feel the soft, smooth and gentle of it, but Hockchew is really one of its kind, you can't speak without raising your voice [laugh][laugh]

the dialect to me feel very 'hard' like rock (like kena hammered!), if you know what i mean, some dialect you can feel the soft, smooth and gentle of it, but Hockchew is really one of its kind, you can't speak without raising your voice [laugh][laugh]

Imagine during wedding dinners or CNY visitings when the entire bunch [gossip] are conversing in it with yours truly and my siblings sitting quietly in the midst [knife] ......you get the point.

Anyway just to clarify hor: Hockchews are NOT the offsprings of Hokkiens & Teochews. I have got curious folks seriously asking me about that...jeez.

Got good and bad points la..

Just look at the Malaysian Chinese in KL. Half of the older generations only knows how to speak Cantonese. Sometimes go up there to the older shops, very difficult to communicate.

HK also, some shopkeepers and taxi drivers speak better English than Mandarin.

But the point about not losing our culture and roots is important. I am Hainanese, but i don't even know basic Hainanese (my Hokkien vocab is alot more than Hainanese vocab, thanks to the 2 years wearing green). Wanted to learn from my dad, but he passed away last year. Now i don't know who to turn to liao.

Ah kor! Jiak Bui?

Got good and bad points la..

Just look at the Malaysian Chinese in KL. Half of the older generations only knows how to speak Cantonese. Sometimes go up there to the older shops, very difficult to communicate.

HK also, some shopkeepers and taxi drivers speak better English than Mandarin.

But the point about not losing our culture and roots is important. I am Hainanese, but i don't even know basic Hainanese (my Hokkien vocab is alot more than Hainanese vocab, thanks to the 2 years wearing green). Wanted to learn from my dad, but he passed away last year. Now i don't know who to turn to liao.

du bo bud gong hai num wei!? pah kah swee!

• Praise 1

du bo bud gong hai num wei!? pah kah swee!

Pah Kah Swee! I know! [laugh]

Toh Mi Ti??

Edited by Fcw75

yi bud gong Bahasa wan kia wei :D

and i tot hanyu pinyin in Cantonese was a bit c h... hainanese just as tough!

Pah Kah Swee! I know! [laugh]

Toh Mi Ti??

hahahahahhahahaha!!! u ah kor too?

• Praise 1

and i tot hanyu pinyin in Cantonese was a bit c h... hainanese just as tough!

hahahahahhahahaha!!! u ah kor too?

Yes! Unfortunately my understanding of the language same as Shull.

Yes! Unfortunately my understanding of the language same as Shull.

i also know di di nia.. [sweatdrop]

jin toi nang butt hia bo butt gong [:(]

spelling nong bo butt..

how to spell bathe? xiang yack? [laugh][laugh][laugh]

jin toi nang butt hia bo butt gong [:(]

No choice bro. From young, my dad never talk to us in Hainanese. :mellow:

↡ Advertisement