The 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia

Nostalgia

maybe i should expand my thoughts on why AD and not PI.

first of all, buying from PI makes sense if

1) the model is not available from AD

2) the model is available from AD but not at the option level you want

3) the model is available from AD but the PI model costs significantly cheaper for the same option and trim level (priced 20k lower at least)

the PI Giulia is not significantly cheaper and doesn't have the signature rims that the AD model has.

Alfa being Alfa, warranty is important. Peace of mind is important. As this is a relatively new model, would the PI have the expertise and diagnostic tools to manage? Would they keep enough spares in case shit happens? Can you be 100% sure they will honour the warranty?

By claiming "most will mod and go to outside workshop", there's gotta be concrete evidence to back it up. In my experience with the serpents, many will  remain with EA during warranty period and only use outside workshops once warranty is over.

Of course, if u dun care about warranty, wanna do some mods and use outside workshop from day 1, buying from AD or PI won't matter. But do consider the 3 points that i made in the first part of this post.

I was speaking to Peter while servicing at AS recently and he mentioned that he asked EA whether he could buy the Giulia without warranty as he didn't believe in it [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

I was speaking to Peter while servicing at AS recently and he mentioned that he asked EA whether he could buy the Giulia without warranty as he didn't believe in it [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Cos he is Alfa god ma. Of course he can do that.

Commoners like most of us, cannot take the risk lah

3) the model is available from AD but the PI model costs significantly cheaper for the same option and trim level (priced 20k lower at least)

the PI Giulia is not significantly cheaper and doesn't have the signature rims that the AD model has.

Alfa being Alfa, warranty is important. Peace of mind is important. As this is a relatively new model, would the PI have the expertise and diagnostic tools to manage? Would they keep enough spares in case shit happens? Can you be 100% sure they will honour the warranty?

By claiming "most will mod and go to outside workshop", there's gotta be concrete evidence to back it up. In my experience with the serpents, many will remain with EA during warranty period and only use outside workshops once warranty is over.

Of course, if u dun care about warranty, wanna do some mods and use outside workshop from day 1, buying from AD or PI won't matter. But do consider the 3 points that i made in the first part of this post.

Well said...

Edited by teomingern

By claiming "most will mod and go to outside workshop", there's gotta be concrete evidence to back it up. In my experience with the serpents, many will  remain with EA during warranty period and only use outside workshops once warranty is over.

the warranty isn't that important but...

you're right in pointing out the price difference isn't great enough to go PI and risk warranty. 

my personal experience with my past 2 Alfas, 147 and GT, is that the first few years hardly any issues. a few hundred at most for one or 2 warranty parts. After warranty, then really cannot go AD due to cost and speed. 

For Peter, no need say cos he's a workshop owner. anytime can ask mech to do stuff. 

Anyway for PI, do note the yearly depreciation. the pattern seems to be car is cheaper, but omv is lower. so do the math for depreciation. 

Yeah, I'm just trying to imagine how the SE will react when a customer asks "how much without warranty ah?" [laugh]

no diff. his comm no change. 

the warranty isn't that important but...

you're right in pointing out the price difference isn't great enough to go PI and risk warranty.

my personal experience with my past 2 Alfas, 147 and GT, is that the first few years hardly any issues. a few hundred at most for one or 2 warranty parts. After warranty, then really cannot go AD due to cost and speed.

For Peter, no need say cos he's a workshop owner. anytime can ask mech to do stuff.

Anyway for PI, do note the yearly depreciation. the pattern seems to be car is cheaper, but omv is lower. so do the math for depreciation.

no diff. his comm no change.

For me, my 159's IU didn't work the first day I collected it.

Went back to them on day 2, they spent half a half day troubleshooting, concluded that IU was faulty and told me to go Vicom to get it replaced.

Went to Vicom, they settled it in 5 mins. It's just a loose connection. From that day I lost confidence in EA.

The battery died at 6 months and I was stranded at HDB Hub's basement carpark.

Selespeed accumulator cracked at 1 year plus.

Have gearbox checked warning came out after 18 mths iirc - turned out to be wear and tear (changed clutch pack)

One fine day the boot just refused to open and the next day it's fine

• Praise 2

For me, my 159's IU didn't work the first day I collected it.

Went back to them on day 2, they spent half a half day troubleshooting, concluded that IU was faulty and told me to go Vicom to get it replaced.

Went to Vicom, they settled it in 5 mins. It's just a loose connection. From that day I lost confidence in EA.

The battery died at 6 months and I was stranded at HDB Hub's basement carpark.

Selespeed accumulator cracked at 1 year plus.

Have gearbox checked warning came out after 18 mths iirc - turned out to be wear and tear (changed clutch pack)

One fine day the boot just refused to open and the next day it's fine ð

Clutch has to be changed again at 3 years plus.

Other than that, the car's pretty ok.

PS: except for the battery at six months, I paid for all the other repairs cos EA voided my warranty when I didn't go back for servicing after the first one at 15k.

Am so glad the service manager has since been changed and they got someone new to help the aftersales dept.

So if I ever get a Giulia brand new, I'd guai guai keep my warranty.

Thanks for this, was actually kinda set on getting the giulia. This brought back all my good memories lol

Thanks for this, was actually kinda set on getting the giulia. This brought back all my good memories lol

That said, I'm fairly confident in the Giulia. This is Alfa's car to regain entry into the US and they've delayed the launch until they've "got it right"

No more selespeed but rather using a conventional ZF. That's a huge plus for reliability.

Only thing now is the price is too high for me

In case anyone interested, the Giulia and Stelvio are both on display at parkway parade concierge area currently. They should have got a red Giulia down instead of the grey though. 

Issue seems to be the software now, and that’s causing all kinds of hilarious problems.. definitely not aiming for the qv cos it’s way over priced and frankly the m4 is a much better value proposition.

ZF shd not hv those gear and clutch problem compared to selespeed

my current is ZF and into 5th year now

Giulia seems to be the One to regain faith for AR.

Giulia is nice but it’s priced out of the market based on perception. Not many want to pay bmw prices for something they feel is still unreliable, unlike previous models where ppl still take the ‘challenge’ cos it’s slightly cheaper. The Giulietta is a fine example. Hardly moved any units

Issue seems to be the software now, and that’s causing all kinds of hilarious problems.. definitely not aiming for the qv cos it’s way over priced and frankly the m4 is a much better value proposition.

Am told its being sorted out.

And even software for the steering and brake are being improved as we speak

Giulia is nice but it’s priced out of the market based on perception. Not many want to pay bmw prices for something they feel is still unreliable, unlike previous models where ppl still take the ‘challenge’ cos it’s slightly cheaper. The Giulietta is a fine example. Hardly moved any units

Not sure how far off the market its priced out of

Super is $180k or less

Veloce is under $220k

QV is under $360k

Am told its being sorted out.

And even software for the steering and brake are being improved as we speak

Not sure how far off the market its priced out of

Super is $180k or less

Veloce is under $220k

QV is under $360k

a rough estimate would be 3 series and c class range pricing. not the lowest specs too. 

Just walk into the showroom and test drive the car, i am quite sure if you are love to drive, the power from the base model is mind blowing. 

The drive is extremely engaging i guess the entry level 3 series or C class is able to replicate the kind of driving experience.

If you are a genuine buyer, the manager Jay is able to offer you an attractive package..... 

If you park a Giulia beside a BMW or Mercedes, i am sure it will capture passerby attention..... 

Just walk into the showroom and test drive the car, i am quite sure if you are love to drive, the power from the base model is mind blowing.

The drive is extremely engaging i guess the entry level 3 series or C class is able to replicate the kind of driving experience.

If you are a genuine buyer, the manager Jay is able to offer you an attractive package.....

If you park a Giulia beside a BMW or Mercedes, i am sure it will capture passerby attention.....

Felipe is a lao jiao Alfa owner. Don't have to lead him to temptation. He can make his own way there.
  • Praise 1