The 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia

Nostalgia

Ha! good to see you today, even though it was unplanned...

There is, but it is controlled by another entity that is solely for the communications of Giulia owners only.

Some of them visit here from time to time. Please ask all you want, and they'll reply if they have any experience.

I'll give you some input if you have any questions that I have answers to.

Beyond the kind where... is it as reliable as a BMW, or Toyota, what's the FC.. etc... all that stuff... I think there's more than enough information off the internet.

but then again, shoot away, some of those who have the answers on the finger tips, will help out where they can

Did you get the giulia? Remembered you had a GT and a 135 previously.
↡ Advertisement

Ha! good to see you today, even though it was unplanned...

There is, but it is controlled by another entity that is solely for the communications of Giulia owners only.

Some of them visit here from time to time. Please ask all you want, and they'll reply if they have any experience.

I'll give you some input if you have any questions that I have answers to.

Beyond the kind where... is it as reliable as a BMW, or Toyota, what's the FC.. etc... all that stuff... I think there's more than enough information off the internet.

but then again, shoot away, some of those who have the answers on the finger tips, will help out where they can

Thanks for the info !

Because it has been launched for more than a year already. keen to know how many owners there are here in SG.

and basically want to know:

1) any problems that current Giulia owners faced, in view of SG weather & traffic. (something diff since internet reviews mainly overseas)

Did anyone face any parts problem which EA claims its wear & tear and did not honour the warranty?

2) how is the servicing at EA? because I know they give free servicing every 10K. 

Did a basic servicing need the whole day or just a few hrs?

I used to drive the 159.

The engine was good. I love the leather. But just that notorious selespeed & sensor problems. haha.

yes I read this Giulia totally different. so keen to see how it fares here in SG.

Alfa cars are nice, but SG don't appreciate it, my 159 resale price was really bad.

also wondering how much more one can bargain from the advertised price.

I'm eyeing the Veloce.

How many veloce are there already here in SG?

No giulia owners here?  :a-panic:

Have a super trim.  Didn't get Veloce because the additional features: LSD, adaptive suspension, additional HP & torque would be under-appreciated for my needs. 

Pros:

1. Looks great exteriorly and lots of cool design features carried over from performance cars (aerodynamic, drive shaft, ignition button, light-weight engineering...) 

2. Great steering with surgical precision. Thus providing it with loads of fun for "spirited" driving (biggest plus point)

3. Comprehensive features: infotainment system, safety systems etc..

4. 5-year servicing and warranty for peace of mind

5. Price you pay for the features/specs is "fair".  (Luxury) German brands with similar features will cost much more

Cons: 

1. Interior, infotainment systems are not top of the line vs. competitors but adequate and works well enough

2. Transmission tunnel makes it uncomfortable to seat a 3rd passenger in the rear for long trips

3. Given the inherent bias against Alfas, not priced competitive enough to make it a purchase that you cannot refuse

4. Need a leap of faith: resale market, FIAT & Alfa's financial health 

Summary:

Excels in two areas: drive & design; does alright in all others.

Not an all rounder compared to G20 3 series or properly "spec" A4 but it is the most "well-rounded" Alfa sedan 

Buy it if you like the look and the drive and you can live with the other less than perfect elements.

Hope this helps !

• Praise 4

Cons: 

1. Interior, infotainment systems are not top of the line vs. competitors but adequate and works well enough

2. Transmission tunnel makes it uncomfortable to seat a 3rd passenger in the rear for long trips

3. Given the inherent bias against Alfas, not priced competitive enough to make it a purchase that you cannot refuse

hi.... well said.

1. however, I thought the infotainment is same as the one used by BMW ? ( Same OEM supplier for the knobs, button, wire, hose etc etc too )

2. Transmission Tunnel will be the same for BMW too or for that matter all rear wheel drive car has the same issue...my believe.

3. agreed on the pricing... (look at Kia Stinger attracted more interest than Giulia at their pricing although both cars are different)

4. agreed. 

hi.... well said.

1. however, I thought the infotainment is same as the one used by BMW ? ( Same OEM supplier for the knobs, button, wire, hose etc etc too )

2. Transmission Tunnel will be the same for BMW too or for that matter all rear wheel drive car has the same issue...my believe.

3. agreed on the pricing... (look at Kia Stinger attracted more interest than Giulia at their pricing although both cars are different)

4. agreed. 

1. It may well be true. But, BMW has up the ante with new iDrive, touch screen, gesture controls... These features may not be important to petrol heads but it may be a deciding factor for most folks.

2. Yea.. that's the limitation with all RWD. Some even worse like the Lexus IS. 

3.  I think Giulia is a slightly more practical car given the bigger trunk 

• Praise 1

1. It may well be true. But, BMW has up the ante with new iDrive, touch screen, gesture controls... These features may not be important to petrol heads but it may be a deciding factor for most folks.

2. Yea.. that's the limitation with all RWD. Some even worse like the Lexus IS.

3. I think Giulia is a slightly more practical car given the bigger trunk

Giulia's boot is quite small leh
  • Praise 1

Giulia's boot is quite small leh

Comparing numbers, the slight oddly shaped 480L trunk in the Giulia is bigger than the 406L in the Stinger. The Stinger does have a hatchback-type opening.

Anyway, all down to personal needs and preference. Neither will win any award for best trunk capacity.

Thanks for the great write-up!!

Are u a Giulia owner? Any problems with the car so far? How's the servicing at EA ?

Have a super trim.  Didn't get Veloce because the additional features: LSD, adaptive suspension, additional HP & torque would be under-appreciated for my needs. 

Pros:

1. Looks great exteriorly and lots of cool design features carried over from performance cars (aerodynamic, drive shaft, ignition button, light-weight engineering...) 

2. Great steering with surgical precision. Thus providing it with loads of fun for "spirited" driving (biggest plus point)

5. Price you pay for the features/specs is "fair".  (Luxury) German brands with similar features will cost much more

Cons: 

Summary:

Not an all rounder compared to G20 3 series or properly "spec" A4 but it is the most "well-rounded" Alfa sedan 

Buy it if you like the look and the drive and you can live with the other less than perfect elements.

Hope this helps !

Thanks for the great write-up!!

Are u a Giulia owner? Any problems with the car so far? How's the servicing at EA ?

So far no issues.

Alfa sales volume is small. AD's parent company probably sells more Lambo than Alfas. So... don't expect a big service department with posh lounge, artisan meals and concierge service. However, a smaller service department will also mean a more predictable turnaround time. 

You shouldn't worry about parts either. Being a current model, there should be stock for common parts.

I was also told that the parts centre is in China rather than Europe. Therefore, if any parts need to be ordered, it shouldn't take too long. 

I'll worry about the post-warranty period,  when I get there... 

• Praise 2

Today (10/8) got Alfa Romeo roadshow at millennia walk. The 3 versions of Giulia plus one Stelvio to molest. Got promo $199k for Giulia Veloce test drive units.

• Praise 1

Thanks for the info !

Because it has been launched for more than a year already. keen to know how many owners there are here in SG.

and basically want to know:

1) any problems that current Giulia owners faced, in view of SG weather & traffic. (something diff since internet reviews mainly overseas)

Did anyone face any parts problem which EA claims its wear & tear and did not honour the warranty?

2) how is the servicing at EA? because I know they give free servicing every 10K. 

Did a basic servicing need the whole day or just a few hrs?

I used to drive the 159.

The engine was good. I love the leather. But just that notorious selespeed & sensor problems. haha.

yes I read this Giulia totally different. so keen to see how it fares here in SG.

Alfa cars are nice, but SG don't appreciate it, my 159 resale price was really bad.

also wondering how much more one can bargain from the advertised price.

I'm eyeing the Veloce.

How many veloce are there already here in SG?

The Giulia is better engineered than the 159 (which was somewhat on the heavy side). Light, balance, sharp steering, handling and power, good sound and looks. Its weakness maybe in the cranky electronics but there is no selespeed issues to worry of since this is a ZF 8 speed automatic, which shifts fast and smooth. Very comfortable for daily grind. [drivingcar]  Life is short and I won't be too worried about reliability or I won't be a third time Alfa owner (never learn?? [hur] ).  [laugh] 

If you enjoy driving you will like the Giulia.

• Praise 7

20 hours ago, shutterbox said:

I have no funds to buy an alfa, but I just need to say this:

159 jin chio! 

Guilia is kan pua chio!! 🤩

since everyone said Alfa resale price sucks....you may consider getting a pre-owned 159.

On 8/7/2019 at 8:43 AM, acl2019 said:

Pros:

Cons: 

Summary:

Hope this helps !

is the super a detuned engine of the veloce or does the super has a different engine?