The 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia

Nostalgia

2 hours ago, iamahbee said:

Ah, what would we do in the good old days without the internet? 🙂

While I will not be calling all FCA cars s***boxes (I for one will not go near those from the C stable), your effort in pasting the above links to prove your point is commendable (I mean it, not sarcasm). My original point was simple; don't make a sweeping statement if you never had real experience in one, anecdotal or not. I had my fair share of experience with Alfas (33, 156) and Fiats (Uno - ok this one was admittedly bad, Grande Punto). But I digress.

Back to the Giulia, I have tested the Super variant and I did not find the driving position to be weird, although I'm just 1.7m tall. My main gripe would be the infotainment system though...

Facelift coming with supposedly improved infotainment system and touchscreen.

there’s level 2 autonomous driving which is pretty useless to me 🤪

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

48 minutes ago, Theoldjaffa said:

But the twin-cowled instrument dials are so sexy...

20181128_133941.jpg

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

The number of complaints and issues even on just review websites is incredible... that's a dire indictment of Alfa cars... I guess each to his own... some prefer the good looks regardless of reliability... and that's why some still keep Alfas that keep breaking down, leak when it rains, and stall halfway on the road... as DK410 said - you rich you can afford to live with it... but really most people prefer their cars to start on first crank, and the lights to work when you flick the signal stalk, and the radio to stay on any time of the day... 

• Praise 3

10 hours ago, Theoldjaffa said:

If you buy a car like this, for the kind of money, to have autonomous driving...

It's akin to spending a bomb to spend a night with a (second-rate still) supermodel and then just watch her do her own thing (no-touch rule applies)...

But really, to each their own, as teomingern mentioned. No one is trying to suggest how you should spend your own money, or your choices when it comes to cars.

My earlier posts above are my own opinion and the opinions of the various reviewers I usually go to for long-term reviews of various cars. It's not supposed to be fact.

• Haha! 1

We all read reviews to find out about the car we're interested in, don't we? And long term reviews exist for the simple reason that a short 3 hour test drive review just doesn't tell how it is to live with the car... and given that most of us have limited moolah, then these and the experiences of others are all that have to feed on... I certainly don't have the resources to try an Alfa, find that it's impossibly unreliable and then to change car... and then we're all on forums like these cos we love cars and enjoy talking about them... good or bad, fact or opinion, well... that's why we're here... otherwise just read the spec sheet lor... ha ha...  and just a last point, I think it's common consensus among motor journalists that FCA cars have some of the poorest reliability figures... aggregated reliability scores by consumer reports focused on reliability as well as FCA's diminishing market share even in Europe and in particular Italy is also indicative... best to hear from FCA themselves I guess:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/3292743002

1. Alfa owners are rich.

2. Alfa owners date supermodels who's not the hottest but still hotter than most of our ugly girlfriends.

3. Supermodel girlfriends will steal all money in the house but that's OK because of point 1.

4. Rest of us are poor and have ugly girlfriends.

5. I want to be an Alfa owner 😁

• Haha! 6

23 hours ago, Jellandross said:

1. Alfa owners are rich.

2. Alfa owners date supermodels who's not the hottest but still hotter than most of our ugly girlfriends.

3. Supermodel girlfriends will steal all money in the house but that's OK because of point 1.

yeah.. 

and hence

On 3/8/2020 at 4:51 PM, Jellandross said:

1. Alfa owners are rich.

1. Mostly true, just less rich than Ferrari/ Lambo/ Aston Martin/ etc owners.

2. Mostly true.

3. It's okay only if you have a fat bank account and the PIN is kept hidden from her.

4. Rest of us are mortals, and prefer marriages than short flings.

5. Only if you fulfill criteria 1 in the first place :D

Edited by DK3410
Correct spelling errors
  • Haha! 2

On 3/4/2020 at 4:39 PM, Sdf4786k said:

The sales in the US wasn't doing that well despite all the hype and pent up demand of a discounted Ferrari California engine.

what many don't realise is, because of the US Market, its 30-40k cars MORE sold than not....

• Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Saabretooth said:

what many don't realise is, because of the US Market, its 30-40k cars MORE sold than not....

If you sell bread n making 30 cents profit for every loaf .. u doing a charity work .. 

they need to sell more in order to survive.. 

1 hour ago, Sdf4786k said:

If you sell bread n making 30 cents profit for every loaf .. u doing a charity work .. 

they need to sell more in order to survive.. 

Given that labour costs in Italy are high plus their unions and lifestyle... I wonder how much FCA earns per Alfa sold, especially when owners keep going back to claim warranty?

• Haha! 1

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of changing from my 2013 3 series to an alfa romeo Giulia.

Any long term feedback for servicing costs in Singapore?

I see a couple of giulia veloce and supers in my price range on sgcarmart.

My existing garage owner told me to stay far away. Just want to get the low down from actual alfa owners?

Thank you

On 9/23/2020 at 2:49 PM, Kofsiao said:

Hi Guys,

My existing garage owner told me to stay far away. Just want to get the low down from actual alfa owners?

Thank you

Fit/finish: BMW for sure

Infotainment: Current gen BMW

Driving dynamics: Similar for day-to-day driving on public roads

Reliability on major parts (gearbox, engine...): Same same (most modern cars get parts from same suppliers e.g. ZF for gearbox, Bosch for car infotainment )

Servicing experience @ AD: BMW: High volume garage experience since BMW is a top seller in Sg; Alfa: Small volume garage experience: no frills, less gimmick, and more responsive. Btw, a Lambo is prob being serviced just beside your Alfa since they are belong to the same parent distributor/workshop

Servicing @ independent garage: Prob BMW since all the Giulias are still under AD warranty and servicing. Independents may lack experience/parts with the new Alfa model

Looks: Personal choice
Conclusion: Giulia, the Alfa with the least amount of "Alfaness";  (Alfaness = sl quirky layouts, melting dashboards, gremlins in electronics, emotional gearboxes.....)

• Praise 2

On 9/23/2020 at 2:49 PM, Kofsiao said:

Hi Guys,

Thank you

I think your garage owner playing reverse psychology lah and wants you to buy Alfa - good for his biz!

BTW I see my neighbour's Giulia Quadrifoglio every day, so doesn't seem rare to me. There's a Alpine 110 around too.

Thanks for the feedback guys. 

Well he told me servicing was expensive and advised me to stick with beemers or mercedes. 

Maybe I will go do a test drive first. I have seen a couple of the road and find them gorgeous. Might let heart overrule brain.