DBS moves local 1500 IT jobs to India

Hypersonic

I've seen back office ops going to India n being made a mess of n they get our locals to go there n clear the mess. One instance I even heard of the ops being brought back eventually n they hired a whole lot of contract staff to clean up which took months!

I know what you mean bro.

My back office went to Manila.

Even simple finance things also

Need to explain to them.

I don't mind if it's to junior staff

But that's to the accountant.

:)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Hypersonic

Me a hokkien speaking laymen not like many here. Highly educated. Only one question.

Is it safe to put money with POSB/DBI now.

Bro I also boh tak chek and hokkian beng.

But no need to feel inferior.

There are people with PhD but every thing

Also dun know and have to come here and

Ask us lau bengs - how ah, how ah?

And expect us to teach him.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

This has exactly happened to a number of shipping companies that offshored their b/l documentation there.

Imagine SG shippers pay ridiculous sgd80 per bl, but get sh1t service. End up, SG staff need to spend loads of time to follow up.

Some shipping cos have actually pulled out within short few months after doing it.

This is management with their simplistic thinking

and no depth of analysis.

See the salary of the staff abroad lower so conclude

Cost must be lower. Never see the true total cost of

how much work we need to do here to correct the

mistakes. Reminds me of the Johore port. The biggest

Shipping company went there and then found cannot

find their containers.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Quality unfortunately not worse off than SG. really not sure whether it's the quality or relevance of our education institution or our local grads..

Anyway as a business owner, bottom line can only be supported by talent,quality and costs..

SG costs structure is worrying.

Uncle also started Cafe business in Tokyo.. surprisingly costs in Tokyo is 10% cheaper than SG. Now that worries me for SG workforce..

It's very true cost is lower in Tokyo and that's why we should send

Back end jobs to Tokyo. I would love to teach those Japanese mei mei

Double entry. And as for not being broad minded, not me.

I am very broad minded.

Not only have I come to accept lesbians,

I embrace them.

Hypersonic
(edited)

When Modi became president he found out

Indian civil servants came to work late, took 2 hour

Tea breaks at 11 am and disappeared after

Lunch to watch the cricket.

When Modi wanted India to do manufacturing

like China he found it very difficult and couldn't

Understand why. I could have saved him a lot of

Time and told him. Manufacturing needs people to

Work with their hands and not with their mouths.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

I could also have told Modi why bother to go for

Manufacturing jobs where people have to get their

Hands dirty and their output can easily be measured.

A good product or a defective product. His nationals

Are already going around the world taking all the top CEO jobs

In IT and banking. These are the highest paying jobs, why bother

With the low paying jobs in manufacturing where you actually have

To do work for a living.

Edited by Jamesc

Hypersonic

Japan had a recession for the last 20 years and of course

their salaries and rents are low. If their salaries and rents

Are high I would be very surprised. But I still maintain we

Should outsource to them. I would be so happy to teach

their OL double entry. And my motto is practice makes perfect.

• Praise 6

Turbocharged

• Praise 1

mrt will have less 1500 packed in the carriage ... huat ah!

theoretically, you could be right but technically 80% of them may found some other 20% available jobs (based on Pareto principle) and still cause the packed in carriage and Locals are still deprived from good jobs...

never underestimate the FT in SG. they are here long enough to keng, angkat bola and not forgetting they are already more street smart than our graduates liao when they drop everything back home to come here with the hunger and desire to displace and replace.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

I know what you mean bro.

My back office went to Manila.

Even simple finance things also

Need to explain to them.

I don't mind if it's to junior staff

But that's to the accountant.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-06-08/hidden-assets-seen-worth-2-trillion-targeted-by-india

Because every place runs things differently . So the back end office like manila and India would question how and why this is done in view of possible breech of compliance, which adds to the notion of in competencies. But really, they just trying to find bone in an egg.

The rampant compliance and mickey mouse routine experience there seems pittances .

So when they see something that is lacking of information, they will demand you to explain. After explaining, they will call afew more times.

Not that they don't understand. Just to make sure that the story is the same and validate if it is true. But in your mind, it may seem that the people just don't listen.

And finally, you get reimburse and frustrated ... and you resign to fate that this is what it is. But you raise a ruckus to boss and HR.

They investigate and only to hear that the back end just trying to do their job. And in the HR and boss mind, they make the right choice. Theses back end folks are value for money. And you grow numb and more agitated by the day.

All seemly reasonable, in the context of Singaporean in a Singaporean scenario where the accountant is asking dumb question.

But not when it is outsource.

Plus the fact that IF you dwell and ask this questions from those that come far away to over Singapore to work. The pride and joy is priceless.

These common response on why they come over here to work are

1. Oh, your government invited us to work here because your local don't have the right people.

?????

Oh yes, base on your age and qualification, you guys have a head start without the need to protect our nation from invasion. But what makes your education better then ours ?

Do we not have the desired qualified people.

The answer is NO .. we have generic IT equipe staff with generic understanding of DB. Unlike the run of the mill certified in Oracle DB, MS SQL churn by them. Or Tibco and what not.

Even now, when FINTECH and data analytic jobs are available, I would say less then a handful will qualify for the job because they simply were not given a chance to be in the organization.

And these are jobs paying in excess of SGD10,000 amonth. Not cheap.

We used to think that FT - was hired because it helps lower cost. The new world scenario now is FT - because you local are better suited to do stuff like making coffee..

2. Oh, because Singapore is safe and open industry so I come here to work...I was mesmerize by the trees and greenery when I landed...

Really? ..

So why do I see US and Australia Visa on the screen every now and then and why the resignation after 3 years ??

"Oh .. I going to further my study so I resigning to go to a better place to work after my studies ..but I do enjoy working in Singapore..."

We have put a big cooperate training ground... and hence given this inputs, I would love to have a CPF scheme similar to HK where if you job ship or take us for a ride, your CPF evaporates.

And obvious, every holiday period , you see budget air on the internet screen to book for a getaway for their "tour of duty" visit before they leave...

3. I am here because I get things done very quickly..

Hmm.. this one got me taken aback literally..

How many of us being suckered or taken for a ride for being sabo withoit realizing it ?

"For the better good of this project, I think XYZ ah mao / ah koa will be able to do it.."

While you curse under your breath , you will not raise a ruckus fearing being label as difficult or a non team player ..

So you get committed by the person who volunteer your name and die like a fool for trying..

So you work your A$$ out only to realise when the Project is done, you were not given credit.. so like everything else, the person ride the elephant thru the parade and after the parade, you clean up the elephant doo dah ...

I am very sure there are very good FT that does a decent job and really come here to work and make the organization proud. But these are few and very very far inbetween.

Some of the better ones I really call friends. They want to be PR and want to set root in this country despite me given them a heads up on the children doing national service. They say why not ..

Some are really talented and comes up with amazing work.

But as you know there are the in between ones. Just take a look at the long Tea break time at "Chennai" business park to know what I mean. honestly, who comes to work at 11am unless you are some big shot boss...

Then again , they do work till 8pm.. only to my clinger that yes, they also cliam taxi fare so they safe on the trip back home and only spend on trip coming to the office without the rush hour traffic. Then again, India start work at 11am and that's where all the activities happen, so why come to the office so early.

I can imagine when DBS does the 1500 employee start up there, it will be way too difficult to change and of course, the local will again be short change when it is running full blown.

Working from 9 till 11.

9 am because that's the official working hours. And how dare you question the boss coming in at 11am. And those other people that comes in at 11am that are not bosses ??? "oh they were supporting back end and work till quite late yesterday."

Yeah sure.. right ...

ANd the local.. ??? "these people just want the easy way out lah.. what work life balance and have children.... not happy go compliant to Tafer lor ... so unrealistic and idealistic.. no one owes you a living .."

We should really try to take a leaf from this changing landscape and see what we can do to make things better. I know ranting / making things obvious just make it sees like I am one of the anti FT kind.

I am not. I just want to see if we can create a new experience before it gets worst.

Honestly speaking, we are now taking a experience base route in education for poly and ITE, like Germany.. little late but should work in my opinion.

As for the current background noise, just have to prepare to move on with the skill development. A bit more like 1000 for certification courses / with affirmation of a job if taking certification would really add to local being taken care of. But from the job offering and skill development, it looks and sound like a enhanced programed gear for the community center without the folk dancing, line dancing class subsidy..

Maybe I miss out but I do not see the course offering of voids in the FINTECH industry with giving those people a leg up to merge into theses choice jobs.

• Praise 2

4th Gear

And do you know why wages have to go up?

Of all things, it has to be because property prices, both commercial and residential went up many time more than the 30% you quoted.

Why do the property prices go up?  Because it has been allowed to - intentionally.

And who was it who allowed it ?  It's not just a person - yes he's an idiot but letting him go is just finding a scapegoat.

Bro.. Have to disagree.. Annual Wages just 30% of SPoreans here. N less benefits.

Uncle also moved 70% of biz out. Bo pein wages to exp... N gov initiative to train local.. Not working.. Local only know how to manage n do admin work..all in opex 50% of SG.. N that is good enough...

SG workers lack Skills n competencies like:

(1) coding
(2) basic & translational engineering
(3) broadmindness
(4) adaptability
(5) cultural emphaty

4th Gear

To add and confess, I was a sucker for many years just leaving my money in DBS.  One day I woke up and realize why are all the other banks, both local and otherwise, are actively promoting and soliciting customers to save with them, but not and never by DBS.

See, sucker like me, who was brought up with pasting stamps on the little key-logo bank and brainwashed to be loyal with them.  That brainwashing was actually a good thing as there's huge educational message in there.  But then forward to today, look around, our long beloved POSB is long gone. 

The sooner people realise that and not to feed DBS with cheap and easy money, the better it is for themselves and their next generations.  If you need more obvious illustrations why I said that, let me know.

Oh yes, I've long taken out all my money from DBS (I refused to add POSB to it) and park it somewhere else.

Is it safe to put money with POSB/DBI now.

• Praise 1

To add and confess, I was a sucker for many years just leaving my money in DBS.  One day I woke up and realize why are all the other banks, both local and otherwise, are actively promoting and soliciting customers to save with them, but not and never by DBS.

See, sucker like me, who was brought up with pasting stamps on the little key-logo bank and brainwashed to be loyal with them.  That brainwashing was actually a good thing as there's huge educational message in there.  But then forward to today, look around, our long beloved POSB is long gone. 

The sooner people realise that and not to feed DBS with cheap and easy money, the better it is for themselves and their next generations.  If you need more obvious illustrations why I said that, let me know.

Oh yes, I've long taken out all my money from DBS (I refused to add POSB to it) and park it somewhere else.

did you also stick to one telco for 20 years and wake up one day?  you mean all these while you have been sitting there waiting for durian to drop?

Turbocharged

And do you know why wages have to go up?

Of all things, it has to be because property prices, both commercial and residential went up many time more than the 30% you quoted.

Why do the property prices go up? Because it has been allowed to - intentionally.

And who was it who allowed it ? It's not just a person - yes he's an idiot but letting him go is just finding a scapegoat.

rental is just one component. Tokyo more expensive rent psf compared to SG. Yet my opex costs 10% lower. Coz the Japs manpower per head costs less and also lesser manpower to run a cafe..so I also confused..

4th Gear

What did you mean ?

did you also stick to one telco for 20 years and wake up one day?  you mean all these while you have been sitting there waiting for durian to drop?

Turbocharged

Now we see the true Sporeans.. Can't even make more babies now want to teach the masters in Double entry.. Where got hope where got hope?
↡ Advertisement