Studied too much, stuck in an unstable dead-end job...how?

Zyklon

It's very risky to write about your career situation online.

Can you imagine how your colleagues will feel to read this online?

How many PhDs do you know completed their part time Engineering degree in 3.5 years?

There is much more to life than a PhD. Admirable, but just one component.

Not many, but definitely not just 1.

I personally know of two others who did it faster than me. They worked their ass off and had proper planning from the first day.

↡ Advertisement

Wow, thanks for all the comments, good or bad, appreciate.

Just to clarify,

1. I did not say my seniors are useless. I do not think they are. In fact, we have some of the brightest people I have seen within the same tiny office space we share. We also have some who just come to work for coming to work. It just happen that we are working on new things, but who isn't when it is research.

2. I am not complaining about the salary. To me...well, anyway the money I spend don't come from my job. What I am trying to say is that I don't think my expectation is high. I just want to find a job and do something meaningful, while turning myself into a better and more useful person.

3. I think I work well with people, generally. Though my peers sometimes do ask me why am I such a yes man. I just thought every chance is a chance to learn.

4. I am NOT PROUD to be a PhD. In fact, I was ashamed about it for a moment in life. It just didn't turn out to be as meaningful and world changing as I thought. Had the feeling that it was vague and a little fake.

Just wondering, if a higher degree is omitted from a resume, will there usually be any repercussion if the employer were to find out later?

Can under declare but cannot over declare.

• Praise 1

And just to further clarify, before I become target board again.

My take is that when I work for somebody, that somebody must be able to at least check on me and let me know when he feels I am going down a wrong track, before my mistake turns into a major problem.  

Sometimes, I just don't feel this happening and it makes me worried. On the best case, it means I didn't learn anything new. On the worst case, it means I am going down the wrong path, not knowing it, and still happily believe I am doing the right thing, repeating the mistake again and again.

I seriously do not think that getting scolded by your boss for making a mistake is a bad thing. Because from experience, if it is a real mistake, your boss's boss will definitely catch it, if your boss doesn't. In army sense, it will be that it is better to be caught by your PS and kanna left right up down, than to be caught by RSM and kanna 7 extra.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

And just to further clarify, before I become target board again.

My take is that when I work for somebody, that somebody must be able to at least check on me and let me know when he feels I am going down a wrong track, before my mistake turns into a major problem.

Sometimes, I just don't feel this happening and it makes me worried. On the best case, it means I didn't learn anything new. On the worst case, it means I am going down the wrong path, not knowing it, and still happily believe I am doing the right thing, repeating the mistake again and again.

I seriously do not think that getting scolded by your boss for making a mistake is a bad thing. Because from experience, if it is a real mistake, your boss's boss will definitely catch it, if your boss doesn't. In army sense, it will be that it is better to be caught by your PS and kanna left right up down, than to be caught by RSM and kanna 7 extra.

Go the consulting route then. Your proposals and recommendations will be challenged left right centre

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Brudder, you may be PhD but you need to improve on reading comprehension.

I am referring to the number who did it in exactly 3.5 years. Not less than 3.5 years. Based on your answer, it is close to 0 or 0.

Then you read that post again to understand what I am trying to tell you.

Not many, but definitely not just 1.

I personally know of two others who did it faster than me. They worked their ass off and had proper planning from the first day.

• Praise 3

If they find out, they can hold you to task as there is a disclaimer on being truthful

Of course you can be like that IDa NRI who got away Scot free .... Well no news as the masters not relevant to her job BUT she still declared

Stuck much between a rock n a hard place

I say network with your friends and try see if contacts can help you. Pays to b nice in this world... Really

@staff69 Alwes bully me... One day... Just one day...

post-131345-0-28522300-1463931490.jpg

• Praise 8

1)I think the problem is u have a PHD- which many company is not considering to hire. Even those who interview u do not have PHD- which is why even if u change industries or job function will not consider u.

2) Actually u must look at the job function & qualification required for the post- if they ask for basic degree- then resume just indicate basic degree. so long u satisfy the job requirement. PHD is not relevant to the job- dont have to indicate-  as this is for personal satisfaction not job related.

3) depend on your industries standard- PHD =could be a liability as it only shows the person is good at studying not working. and many will think- wrong fit for the company.

4) examine your EQ with your surrounding peers- how do they feel about u- any feedback from them or u r isolationist- dont like to mixed with other. what other interest or hobby u have that is common with your working peers.

5) sometime- people resent u- if u have PHD- cause the mentality is what are u doing here- u should be in  R&D or teaching profession. Does your job require PHD in the first place. Better play down your PHD unless your work shine.

6) Most senior prefer people of their kind- in terms of value, mindset & etc. Are u one of them? if NO- what is the chances of success in this company. Sometimes it is your bosses that make a big different in your career- who will mentor  n promote u.

My advice is forget about your PHD achievement- it does not work in the real world- the bottom line is what is your contribution to the company- can u think out of the box solution. can u write clearly n to the point in your email.  Can u provide solution that others have not thought of. The important thing is differentiate yourself-from the pack and stand up. if you have not- the company dont own you a living or anything.

• Praise 9

Probably you haven't really find your calling.

Since you are in engineering, would you be able to design and create something that can improve. enhance and change the lives of people, that would make your work very meaningful.

Like Thomas Edison works effectively change world, making human more productive because lighting allow more work to be done.

Have you ever thought your work may change the lives of those 3rd world country.

Emabark on a project that you think will help lives of people. You possibly will be able to find organisations and angel funds that will be very willing to support your good cause.

• Praise 5

The possibilities are endless.

Are you able to help the very poor have access to power source?

Design something that is energy efficient or usage of renewal energy source to help 3rd world country kids to have electricity? So they can study at night?

Help to purify water source at very affordable rates? So these kids do not need to die from dysentery?

Don't think of jobs.

Think bigger since you are empowered to do so.

or go this direction

Help people walk again.

Help people see again

Help people talk again

Help people hear again

Help people write again

Help to reduce carbon footprint

Help the Indons not to rely of slash and burn methods.

Help airplanes fly with less fuel, faster and more reliable

Help ships to sail further, safer and will not sink.

Help to build sustainable cities that float on the sea or oceans.

All of you shoot TS machiam like free target practice like dat.

To TS, I say, quit your job and start your own biz. Then everything is within your control. [grin]

Started my own biz after getting a local degree.

Never looked back. 

TS go for it.. #YOLO.

• Praise 2

1)I think the problem is u have a PHD- which many company is not considering to hire. Even those who interview u do not have PHD- which is why even if u change industries or job function will not consider u.

2) Actually u must look at the job function & qualification required for the post- if they ask for basic degree- then resume just indicate basic degree. so long u satisfy the job requirement. PHD is not relevant to the job- dont have to indicate-  as this is for personal satisfaction not job related.

3) depend on your industries standard- PHD =could be a liability as it only shows the person is good at studying not working. and many will think- wrong fit for the company.

4) examine your EQ with your surrounding peers- how do they feel about u- any feedback from them or u r isolationist- dont like to mixed with other. what other interest or hobby u have that is common with your working peers.

5) sometime- people resent u- if u have PHD- cause the mentality is what are u doing here- u should be in  R&D or teaching profession. Does your job require PHD in the first place. Better play down your PHD unless your work shine.

6) Most senior prefer people of their kind- in terms of value, mindset & etc. Are u one of them? if NO- what is the chances of success in this company. Sometimes it is your bosses that make a big different in your career- who will mentor  n promote u.

My advice is forget about your PHD achievement- it does not work in the real world- the bottom line is what is your contribution to the company- can u think out of the box solution. can u write clearly n to the point in your email.  Can u provide solution that others have not thought of. The important thing is differentiate yourself-from the pack and stand up. if you have not- the company dont own you a living or anything.

Fav cliche is apt here

635940930822085434265122679_handle-truth

If TS insists on being addressed as Doctor, it's not hard to smell the air of superiority from over on this side of the fence.

I ever had one that said EXACTLY tht!

'Why should I as a dr do such things?'  (in reference to ushering VIPs to a function)

Ignored the being and funnily, within 6 months, the being resigned...hahah

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

TS should have said he was an ask in the first place....

Would have saved me from typing so much earlier

TS you are right. You should not be stuck as a junior staff

You are meant for greater things. Go to THE company which would make you a director. It is your destiny.

• Praise 1

TS should have said he was an ask in the first place....

Would have saved me from typing so much earlier

TS you are right. You should not be stuck as a junior staff

You are meant for greater things. Go to THE company which would make you a director. It is your destiny.

Hypersonic

hahaha...knn....$700k elite damn funny nia...no wonder @porker lub you :grin:

I am a conservative person and prefer well dressed bodybuilding gays to ignore me

I am a conservative person and prefer well dressed bodybuilding gays to ignore me

↡ Advertisement