Opel Astra 2016

ki_chiu

From 1000km till now - steering turning clunk + rattling over uneven grounds + pulling left

Recently sent in for above + AC Button peeling off, came back the AC button worse than before replacement

I'm not even being fussy about the flexing noises since it's normal for Conti cars (at least entry levels)

Only consolation is the ECU update improved engine response by alot, daily drivability very enjoyable less the above

The next time go in, I confirm be gentleman

Mother father gentleman

Sian, I kena the steering sound also.

For my case, at carpark speed and turning more than 90 deg. (Typical multi level carpark)

Steering pulling to the left also. I did laser wheel alignment after I Changed rims. The diagnosis also showed that the car is aligned to the left. After that become better Liao. Not perfectly straight but still got abit.

To make you feel better, my wife’s 6mth old Mini One, is flooded from rainwater. Apparently the rubber seal and sealant don’t work. Her shoes etc in the boots all grew mould. She is not the only Mini owner affected. Her car was in the workshop for 2 full weeks before it was fixed. Lol.

My old K3, had misaligned bonnet, paint stain, door and dashboard rattling and odd engine vibration at 1300rpm on the day of the collection.

I guess not all cars are perfect. Haha.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Sian, I kena the steering sound also.

For my case, at carpark speed and turning more than 90 deg. (Typical multi level carpark)

Steering pulling to the left also. I did laser wheel alignment after I Changed rims. The diagnosis also showed that the car is aligned to the left. After that become better Liao. Not perfectly straight but still got abit.

To make you feel better, my wifeâs 6mth old Mini One, is flooded from rainwater. Apparently the rubber seal and sealant donât work. Her shoes etc in the boots all grew mould. She is not the only Mini owner affected. Her car was in the workshop for 2 full weeks before it was fixed. Lol.

My old K3, had misaligned bonnet, paint stain, door and dashboard rattling and odd engine vibration at 1300rpm on the day of the collection.

I guess not all cars are perfect. Haha.

Bro I thought u had some parts changed? That did not solve your problems?

Steering clunk understand factory still no clear direction on how to fix...but pulling left ....bloody unacceptable.

I don't feel better haha....cos could have better used the money get a second hand faster cars.... Heck even get used Astra and less than 3K later everything swee swee.

Edited by Johnny86

Bro I thought u had some parts changed? That did not solve your problems?

Steering clunk understand factory still no clear direction on how to fix...but pulling left ....bloody unacceptable.

I don't feel better haha....cos could have better used the money get a second hand faster cars.... Heck even get used Astra and less than 3K later everything swee swee.

Ya. They changed the link arm and the undercarriage sound is gone. The sound that you will hear when you go over uneven road.

Now I can hear the steering sound like you.

To rub salt into your wound, I bought my astra 90k, 1 year old car. Hahaha

Ya. They changed the link arm and the undercarriage sound is gone. The sound that you will hear when you go over uneven road.

Now I can hear the steering sound like you.

To rub salt into your wound, I bought my astra 90k, 1 year old car. Hahaha

PUI

lol

some 1.0 owners did tuning at tdi tuning if I remember correctly.

from 105 horses become 130 horses, not bad for a light car.

but as with the additional power, fc starts to suffer due to more 'spirited' driving.

Driving the 1.4 variant bro. I guess I should go check them out too.. Any rough idea how much will it set me back? 

My fuel consumption quite bad already... Averaging about 8.7-9.3 litres/100km  [hur]

• Praise 1

(edited)

Driving the 1.4 variant bro. I guess I should go check them out too.. Any rough idea how much will it set me back?

My fuel consumption quite bad already... Averaging about 8.7-9.3 litres/100km [hur]

Actually can not compare with other ppl one.

There are too many variables that will affect your FC.

Distance, traffic condition, highway/urban, driving style etc.

Even if you and another person drive on the sane route, same time, same traffic condition, your own driving style also can affect.

That’s just my opinion. =D

Anyway I was thinking of doing stage 1 tuning at monster tune. But I Dono whether our gearbox can handle the torque increase anot. That’s what stopping me.

Edited by Whattheheck

Even if you and another person drive on the sane route, same time, same traffic condition, your own driving style also can affect.

That’s just my opinion. =D

Anyway I was thinking of doing stage 1 tuning at monster tune. But I Dono whether our gearbox can handle the torque increase anot. That’s what stopping me.

Thats true. Totally agree with it  [laugh]

I know Race Chip Singapore said its alright as I have passed them my Chassis number and they had send the info over to Germany to check if its compatible and it indeed is compatible with our car. Gains like I have been saying, We can expect to see a increase of up to 180hp & 300nm of torque. Very impressive for our car already I feel. Like you, Not sure if I should purchase a plug and play(Race chip) or go to a professional shop like Monster tune to do calibration.  [hur]

• Praise 2

Thatâs just my opinion. =D

Anyway I was thinking of doing stage 1 tuning at monster tune. But I Dono whether our gearbox can handle the torque increase anot. Thatâs what stopping me.

Tuning the ecu will definitely improve the engine performance, but your vehicle internal components will wear down faster. Try to find out the gear box specification. Be consevative in your tuning and understand the limit of the gear box. Note that your water pump get to change frequently due to leak. The culprit is the extra heat produce from aftermarket tune. Just to share base on my past experiences.
  • Praise 4

Actually I feel that this car is fast enough for me. But backside itchy want to tune.

Most likely I will be changing to coilover first. The stock suspension set up too soft for me.

I don’t like the feeling when the car sinks down after clearing a hump. I am not even carrying any passenger.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Actually I feel that this car is fast enough for me. But backside itchy want to tune.

Most likely I will be changing to coilover first. The stock suspension set up too soft for me.

I don’t like the feeling when the car sinks down after clearing a hump. I am not even carrying any passenger.

fast enough for me too. esp after ECU update, like to chiong from 40km/h to beyond. it just goes till road legal infinity. cheap thrill for entry conti.

dont know about ur suspension, but have done some tests before with a few astras. there is batch difference, some suspension softer. mine is the harder one. hate it when going through humps and roads that had some works done but not patched yet. this suspension is definitely more suitable for well made EU roads

anyway about tuning, dont wanna be a cold blanket, but still for the sake of GB longevity i throw these stats out:

https://www.opel-infos.de/technik/getriebe/6t.html

Edited by Johnny86
  • Praise 1

Just gotta find the sweet spot between the lifespan and power and not push to its limits. This is why most cars are all down-tuned for it to "last" longer. And yes like what people are all quoting that the current 1.4 has already reached its "peak" its kinda hard to stomach that Opel will even push it to the limits already. And when you tune your car, you definitely got to upgrade to better internals for it to work better. Stock parts will definitely not work well with tuning especially if the cars aren't top of the line (for instance our Astra). Maybe if it was a "M" or "AMG" series then you can just tune and leave to the current set up. 

fast enough for me too. esp after ECU update, like to chiong from 40km/h to beyond. it just goes till road legal infinity. cheap thrill for entry conti.

dont know about ur suspension, but have done some tests before with a few astras. there is batch difference, some suspension softer. mine is the harder one. hate it when going through humps and roads that had some works done but not patched yet. this suspension is definitely more suitable for well made EU roads

anyway about tuning, dont wanna be a cold blanket, but still for the sake of GB longevity i throw these stats out:

If start at 0, you really gotta floor the accelerator or downshift.. Maybe thats why my FC so bad  :a-happy:

(edited)

To me, stock 1.4 is enough. At 135 km/h,Civic was tailgating me till I decided to "floor" it. Ooops, sorry I could not upload the video. Going to make another trip up north soon....Loving every minute of it.

Edited by Teo2000
  • Praise 1

Ya. I rather preserve the gearbox also. Not like the car is very slow to begin with.

To me, stock 1.4 is enough. At 135 km/h,Civic was tailgating me till I decided to "floor" it. Ooops, sorry I could not upload the video. Going to make another trip up north soon....Loving every minute of it.

Haha. Ya. Similar thing happened to me also. I was happily driving along, then this Mazda 3 just start to tail gate me. So I just accelerate abit more and maintain. He couldn’t catch up to me. Then I decided to slow down and let him catch up and I just maintain my speed that I was at before I accelerate.
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Some time ago a lao lan Forester Turbo came tailgating as well. I floor it and he got problem catching up.

Don’t wanna play too much as my kids are on board. Let him have his ego boost

Edited by Chisiang

Fortunately mastered enough control not to rage when wife + kid in car

Usually compensated for when alone

Life is a series of inputs and outputs

Some time ago a lao lan Forester Turbo came tailgating as well. I floor it and he got problem catching up.

Don’t wanna play too much as my kids are on board. Let him have his ego boost

Hey bro, maybe he wasn't trying to catch up or tailgate.. from your video, he was simply trying to pass.. IMO, it's a bit harsh to call him a 'douche'..

Not the driver BTW..

• Praise 1

Hey bro, maybe he wasn't trying to catch up or tailgate.. from your video, he was simply trying to pass.. IMO, it's a bit harsh to call him a 'douche'..

Not the driver BTW..

bro, a few seconds before the video started this douche dude was "gunning" down every single car that travelled on lane 1. 

You can see him high beam the white Altis at 11 second of the video. When I switched to lane 1 I tried to cruise at a faster speed but he still come and tried to gun on my six.

The rear camera is wide angle but when I look at the rear mirror I cannot even see his headlamps. I already signalled I am going to change to lane 2 and let him pass but he still tailgating. 

At I was in excess of whatever road limits there is and the road is coming to an end with traffic building up. He just continued gunning down in excess of 140kph and abruptly cutting into the exit lane. Only wanna overtake me nia all other factors not important lol.

I don't think daily dude in a rush would gun down every motorists on the street lah.

Anyway, my point is, the Astra is not a simple push over even for a Forester Turbo. Although only 1,000cc but the car can surely make bigger car run for their money.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Last time when I drove a 1.4T Cruze with aftermarket tune to 180hp, I play with a group of wrx tailgating each other at 200km/h at NSHW. I can easily hit 220km/h with 5 pax and luggages. The other higher bhp wrx overtake me to see what is the make of the car. So tailgating at 135km/h is not that scary afterall. Now after changing to lower bhp car and without tune, I drive slower than before.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1