Opel Astra 2016

ki_chiu

I have done abt 5k since replacement. Shall see if problem comes back when reach 10k. Btw can I know if yr replacement of control arms was to address steering sound issue, or ride pliant issue? I find my ride getting very unsettled these days (even on relatively smooth roads). Wonder if it could be due to faulty control arms?

steering replacement was to address turning issue. after changing, no improvrmrnt

but now it seems more of a brake issue

↡ Advertisement

Yeah. I went back to agent for a short while the other day to ask them to see if they can diagnose the part that was causing the issue.

I told them I can't leave the car there for the whole day so just diagnose first.

They checked my brakes and say couldn't find any fault there.

They lubricated the stabilisers rod as they suspect the sound might be coming from there. But no effect. Still got sound.

So need to go back another day and leave the car with them to fully diagnose the problem and fix it.

But I agree that at least they are trying to fix the problem. When we tested the car, they also acknowledge that the sound is strange.

Update:

I sent my car in to try to fix the weird sound when turning and braking. They acknowledge that this is not normal.

So they loosened all the link rods etc in the undercarriage and lubricated the joints and tighten it.

So far I tested it, there is still the weird sound but it is not as loud as before.

Update:

I sent my car in to try to fix the weird sound when turning and braking. They acknowledge that this is not normal.

So they loosened all the link rods etc in the undercarriage and lubricated the joints and tighten it.

So far I tested it, there is still the weird sound but it is not as loud as before.

that's good bruh. still got 2mths to go before I get it looked at

that's good bruh. still got 2mths to go before I get it looked at

Yeah. So now the next step is to update AG and then we can further narrow down the exact part that is causing this. Will update again when AG has a solution.

Yeah. I went back to agent for a short while the other day to ask them to see if they can diagnose the part that was causing the issue.

I told them I can't leave the car there for the whole day so just diagnose first.

They checked my brakes and say couldn't find any fault there.

They lubricated the stabilisers rod as they suspect the sound might be coming from there. But no effect. Still got sound.

So need to go back another day and leave the car with them to fully diagnose the problem and fix it.

But I agree that at least they are trying to fix the problem. When we tested the car, they also acknowledge that the sound is strange.

Update:

AG say they found the issue.

It was due to my front brake disc rotor edges were very sharp. They resulted in the sounds.

But the price they quoted is very high. $550 before GST and before $80 labour.

I haven commit yet. I want to know if it will definitely fix the sound. I dont want a case where I change liao doesn't fix the problem and I am still expected to pay.

And I may consider getting it fixed outside.

GM China recalls vehicles including Buick over problems in suspension system, https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/saic-gm-to-recall-3-3-million-vehicles-over-suspension-flaw-10784188.

One of the Buick models looks exactly like Astra: (别克威朗)

(三)2015年8月6日至2018年9月18日期间生产的部分2016至2019年款别克威朗两厢汽车,共计39,444辆;

SAIC-GM's notice is at: https://www.saic-gm.com/www/web/saic-gm/new.

Will the Astra here be recalled?

Update:

AG say they found the issue.

It was due to my front brake disc rotor edges were very sharp. They resulted in the sounds.

But the price they quoted is very high. $550 before GST and before $80 labour.

I haven commit yet. I want to know if it will definitely fix the sound. I dont want a case where I change liao doesn't fix the problem and I am still expected to pay.

And I may consider getting it fixed outside.

Those disc rotors must have been made of gold. [laugh]

GM China recalls vehicles including Buick over problems in suspension system, https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/saic-gm-to-recall-3-3-million-vehicles-over-suspension-flaw-10784188.

One of the Buick models looks exactly like Astra: (别克威朗)

(三)2015年8月6日至2018年9月18日期间生产的部分2016至2019年款别克威朗两厢汽车,共计39,444辆;

SAIC-GM's notice is at: https://www.saic-gm.com/www/web/saic-gm/new.

Will the Astra here be recalled?

Maybe affect those manufactured in China?

Bro.. $550 to change front pair new rotors?

Try skim the rotors...

Haha. Tell me about it. I hear liao also stunned.

I am more surprised that a less than 2 year old car will have such issue. And why would the edge of the disc rotor be too sharp? I heard of uneven wear of rotor or even warped rotor. Never heard of the edge of the rotor too sharp. Lol. I am driving a spinning knife.

Those disc rotors must have been made of gold. [laugh]

I think platinum. Hahaha.

Dono should go outside and change anot. 550 is too ex liao.

Haha. Tell me about it. I hear liao also stunned.

I am more surprised that a less than 2 year old car will have such issue. And why would the edge of the disc rotor be too sharp? I heard of uneven wear of rotor or even warped rotor. Never heard of the edge of the rotor too sharp. Lol. I am driving a spinning knife.

I think platinum. Hahaha.

Dono should go outside and change anot. 550 is too ex liao.

do keep us updated bro.

Edited by Johnny86

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls,

I have been driving the Astra 1.4T HB since February 2017 (mileage 31889 km)and here is my long term review:

I have made 7 or 8 trips up north and the car is still very stable and relaxed at high speeds.

In fact, overtaking at 140 km/h is still a breeze.

However, after driving more than 20 years on the NSH, it is very difficult to hit above 180 km/h due to the increased volume of traffic.

I don't encourage high speed driving (Above 160 km/h), as it is still not my country - Leave it to the Malaysians if they want to speed.

And so far, no problems with the car at all.

In fact, the "rattling" sound on my driver's door panel near the speaker has disappeared!

Now it's a good time to buy one (new or 2nd hand) if you want to buy.

Cheers!

• Praise 4

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls,

I have been driving the Astra 1.4T HB since February 2017 (mileage 31889 km)and here is my long term review:

I have made 7 or 8 trips up north and the car is still very stable and relaxed at high speeds.

In fact, overtaking at 140 km/h is still a breeze.

However, after driving more than 20 years on the NSH, it is very difficult to hit above 180 km/h due to the increased volume of traffic.

I don't encourage high speed driving (Above 160 km/h), as it is still not my country - Leave it to the Malaysians if they want to speed.

And so far, no problems with the car at all.

In fact, the "rattling" sound on my driver's door panel near the speaker has disappeared!

Now it's a good time to buy one (new or 2nd hand) if you want to buy.

Cheers!

.....worth it when is below 100k....and you are driving a Conti....

• Praise 1

Astra sales stalled when VES 2.0 was implemented. that 20K surcharge is hard to swallow. 

Anyway just gotten 40k servicing at AG and they advised me to change the front brake pads @ $260  :o.

Of course didn't go ahead with it.  Went online got EBC Ultimax @ around $60sgd including shipping. 

Don't get carrot guys. [laugh]

mine 1.0l astra k hb bought in 2017 april.

to add on to bro whattheheck review,

pros:

-low road tax.

-good torque, no issue picking up and cruising.

-good fc for me about 80% highway, I get 6.5l/100km. normally travel 700km for 1 full tank. Take note, some guys travel only 400km to 500km especially if they doing lotsa start stop driving.

-mta gearbox, love it or hate it. I have no issues with it as I drive in manual mode and I love it.

cons.

-vibration more profound as car is 3 cylinder during idling, surprising no such idling if aircon is off.

-under-carriage sounds. I got it too and it was resolve after AD replace the link rod, according to them, it is a batch issue.

-quite a few complained about rattling sound, surprising I have no issue with it. but understand it is something that sound proofing can overcome.

all in, still loving my astra, just sad that VES had properly killed the sales for this car...

rattling from the door can be resolved by teflon tape. it works for mine car and also another guy from opel group chat . AG can resolve this
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1