Opel Astra 2016

ki_chiu

For those with the weird undercarriage sound when turning and braking, I may have isolated the fault origin.

It should be from the stock brake calipers.

I have replaced brake pads, rotors to no avail.

I went to replace my front brake system with Brembo 6 pot calipers, Brembo brake pads, rotors and brake hose and guess what, no more sound when turning and braking.

Anyway for those who wants to change to BBK, I suggest you have 18in and above rims then change. Because 6 pot BBK requires some clearance space cos it is huge.

I changed mine with Braking Point. Friendly chaps. Those interested can contact them directly for quotation.

Can I check if the brake replacement has also helped to remove the 'tock' (or clunking) sound when braking/accelerating at slow speed? Assuming yours is a 1.4T.
↡ Advertisement

Nah they will last. even before this the older generation of cars not many on the streets they still stand.

Don't forget they got their fair share of Commercial vehicles on the road as well

Before getting in Opel market, they are also dealer for Chevrolet. They should be bringing new Chevrolet cars soon.

Not to forget the family business of Alphine Motors/Credit for second hand car market.

Cheers.

Before getting in Opel market, they are also dealer for Chevrolet. They should be bringing new Chevrolet cars soon.

Not to forget the family business of Alphine Motors/Credit for second hand car market.

Cheers.

With Opel selling off to PSA not sure what's the future arrangement like. 

GM not exactly doing very good either and even then Chevy cars aren't really selling.

Maybe the second hand car market can sustain them. Then again with COE prices so low second hand car market also quite quiet these days. Same depre for new car.

• Praise 1

Can I check if the brake replacement has also helped to remove the 'tock' (or clunking) sound when braking/accelerating at slow speed? Assuming yours is a 1.4T.

Nope. No difference. I still suspect that is the gearbox.

For me I noticed that that sound is more obvious if you accelerate slowly.

So I accelerate harder from standstill. Like rpm to 3k.

Edited by Whattheheck

Nope. No difference. I still suspect that is the gearbox.

For me I noticed that that sound is more obvious if you accelerate slowly.

So I accelerate harder from standstill. Like rpm to 3k.

i had the tock sound that sounded like coming from gearbox when slowing down at traffic light but after mentioning to AG they said that the engine mounting wasn’t set properly. After 20k service the tock tock sound is no longer there when slowing down so you might want to check w AG if it’s an engine moiunting issue which is causing the sounds
  • Praise 2

With Opel selling off to PSA not sure what's the future arrangement like.

GM not exactly doing very good either and even then Chevy cars aren't really selling.

Maybe the second hand car market can sustain them. Then again with COE prices so low second hand car market also quite quiet these days. Same depre for new car.

Anyway, I don't think its going to affect the local dealership. Since Opel has already been sold to PSA group.

AG is the local sole distributor for Opel. Similarly, Alpine Motors who is sole distributor for Chevy. Both are owned by Alpine group.

Cheers.

Edited by Wormee
  • Praise 1

Anyway, I don't think its going to affect the local dealership. Since Opel has already been sold to PSA group.

AG is the local sole distributor for Opel. Similarly, Alpine Motors who is sole distributor for Chevy. Both are owned by Alpine group.

Cheers.

...AG owner probably very very rich and comfortable...don't need to sell many many cars like other brand....thats why they act in this way..imo

Hi, shortlisted new Mazda 3, golf, astra.  Any idea about tuning potential for Astra 1.4T?  I usually drive NSHW at 180-220km/h in my current touran.  Would like to know more on soundproofing and actual engine rpm at HIGH speeds. Test drove old Cruze 1.4T but was super disappointed. Any idea if this car shares same platform or engine? Thanks in advance! Cheers! 

• Praise 1

Hi, shortlisted new Mazda 3, golf, astra. Any idea about tuning potential for Astra 1.4T? I usually drive NSHW at 180-220km/h in my current touran. Would like to know more on soundproofing and actual engine rpm at HIGH speeds. Test drove old Cruze 1.4T but was super disappointed. Any idea if this car shares same platform or engine? Thanks in advance! Cheers!

This is based my opinion after driving the 1.4T for 1 year and many of my friends who drive Mazda 3.

Soundproof

Astra beats Mazda 3. My friends' Mazda 3 is all damn noisy. The engine noise and tyre noise is unbearable for me.

For astra 1.4T, the engine is loud when you listen outside the car. But once you go inside and close the door, you can feel the sound proofing of the car.

Aatra 1.4T is definitely not a hot hatch. At most I would consider it a warm hatch. Don't expect it to be like a Golf GTI.

If you are considering the Astra 1.4T, you can also consider the Hyundai i30. My wife just bought 1 and I think it is not bad. And it is much cheaper also.

That's just my opinion.

• Praise 1

This is based my opinion after driving the 1.4T for 1 year and many of my friends who drive Mazda 3.

Soundproof

Astra beats Mazda 3. My friends' Mazda 3 is all damn noisy. The engine noise and tyre noise is unbearable for me.

For astra 1.4T, the engine is loud when you listen outside the car. But once you go inside and close the door, you can feel the sound proofing of the car.

Aatra 1.4T is definitely not a hot hatch. At most I would consider it a warm hatch. Don't expect it to be like a Golf GTI.

If you are considering the Astra 1.4T, you can also consider the Hyundai i30. My wife just bought 1 and I think it is not bad. And it is much cheaper also.

That's just my opinion.

Thanks! Am comparing new mazda 3 (2020 MY) and golf 1.4t CL. Other jap and korean makes all suck. Tested new i30. Just about enough pull. However, the gearbox is laggy, cheap feeling materials, cost cutting on much needed features. Hence these 3 cars are in my shortlist. Would like to know tuning potential of Astra 1.4T thanks!

Thanks! Am comparing new mazda 3 (2020 MY) and golf 1.4t CL. Other jap and korean makes all suck. Tested new i30. Just about enough pull. However, the gearbox is laggy, cheap feeling materials, cost cutting on much needed features. Hence these 3 cars are in my shortlist. Would like to know tuning potential of Astra 1.4T thanks!

How u compare a car that is not even out for test drive yet? (new-gen Mazda3) Even when it comes into Singapore it probably wouldn't have the SkyactivX either. or at least a huge premium.

Anyway what's the price of the Astra 1.4T now? Considering VES surcharge of 20k I'm surprised is even in the shortlist.

If want to tune you would probably be changing gearbox every year given the current 6AT is handling almost at limit max torque out from engine.

If Tune just get the Golf. Since already well-known for tuning and its unreliability so fix also easier (parts easily available)  [laugh]

Soundproof

That's just my opinion.

The 1.4T I wouldn't say is a warm hatch.  Maybe the 1.6T that isn't offer here locally. 

• Praise 1

Hi, shortlisted new Mazda 3, golf, astra.  Any idea about tuning potential for Astra 1.4T?  I usually drive NSHW at 180-220km/h in my current touran.  Would like to know more on soundproofing and actual engine rpm at HIGH speeds. Test drove old Cruze 1.4T but was super disappointed. Any idea if this car shares same platform or engine? Thanks in advance! Cheers! 

Hi

Please read all my post on the Astra 1.4T HB in this thread.

OK, I have been driving it for 23 months already. Already 34K km on the odometer. No problems whatsoever.Cost me nothing. Free servicing by AG.

The "tuck" sound sometimes at very low speed does not bother me, not that loud anyway.

Some creaking sounds when going up MSCP does not bother me either. It's the rubber seals on the door. Can be rectified as mentioned in this thread.

I have made about 8 trips to Malaysia. 220 km/h? Maybe not. Did cross 200 km/h but lasted less than 5 secs. Why? Traffic on NSWH now heavier compared to 10 years ago.

About 5 years ago, I hit a monkey that came out of nowhere to cross the NSHW in my previous car when I was doing about 140 km/h. Minor damage, cost me about $650 to repair. So now, more cautious about speeding... Hee Hee..Rarely exceed 160 km/h now.

160-180 km/h- No sweat.

Chevy Cruze 1.4T? test drove it before. Sucks! Cannot compare with the Astra 1.4.

Can look for 2nd hand in the used car market if you don't want to buy new.

Cheers!

• Praise 3

Hi

Please read all my post on the Astra 1.4T HB in this thread.

OK, I have been driving it for 23 months already. Already 34K km on the odometer. No problems whatsoever.Cost me nothing. Free servicing by AG.

The "tuck" sound sometimes at very low speed does not bother me, not that loud anyway.

Some creaking sounds when going up MSCP does not bother me either. It's the rubber seals on the door. Can be rectified as mentioned in this thread.

I have made about 8 trips to Malaysia. 220 km/h? Maybe not. Did cross 200 km/h but lasted less than 5 secs. Why? Traffic on NSWH now heavier compared to 10 years ago.

About 5 years ago, I hit a monkey that came out of nowhere to cross the NSHW in my previous car when I was doing about 140 km/h. Minor damage, cost me about $650 to repair. So now, more cautious about speeding... Hee Hee..Rarely exceed 160 km/h now.

160-180 km/h- No sweat.

Chevy Cruze 1.4T? test drove it before. Sucks! Cannot compare with the Astra 1.4.

Can look for 2nd hand in the used car market if you don't want to buy new.

Cheers!

Did the monkey get proper burial? or become BAchor? May i know what the rpm is at 200km/h? Thanks!

Edited by opgamerkkhk

Just sent my car for 30k servicing, AG no longer giving Cab Charge or Grab voucher... :(

My 40K servicing  last month still have, but cap at $15.00.

My 40K servicing  last month still have, but cap at $15.00.

....by now i believe AG do not provide anymore...as they are not selling  many opel cars at the moment...

↡ Advertisement