Opel Astra 2016

ki_chiu

Hello all,

thanks to this thread, i booked myself the 1.4T. but no LED headlight model anymore. that 1k was attractive but i was late by a week.

driving it reminds me of my old 1.4M fiat punto. lol. but it’s good.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

One thing to add though is please change out the eye-sore long antenna at the top!

Can get a shark fin antenna at less than $10, file down the profile very slightly and it will fit the car perfectly. Can attest reception is even better than the stock.  [laugh]

• Praise 1

i did realise the car pulled to the left still thou. lol

...make appt. to get it check at AG...imo

i was deciding between seat arona and astra. but because my mileage per year is quite high. current drive is a QQ 1.2T. 68+k for 2 years.

so i went for a more safer approach.

My 1.0 still going strong.

Vibration at idling, AG tightened the engine mounting tensioner, much better. Otherwise problem free, going for my 40k servicing soon.

i was deciding between seat arona and astra. but because my mileage per year is quite high. current drive is a QQ 1.2T. 68+k for 2 years.

so i went for a more safer approach.

Safer approached? I thought there are complaint on QQ 1.2T cvt transmission?

I'm driving Opel crossland x, 1 year about 25k mileage. So far no issue. i bought those $60 pnp odb2 ecm, now gear runs even creamier with linear pickup and even better instant torque. Please note opel crossland x is 1.2 tonne car. The QQ is 1.4 tonne...

To me the Astra is not for everyone, especially not for someone who knows nuts about cars.

If you are the kind that likes to DIY and don't mind the nitty gritty issues, you can certainly enjoy the ride for the 1.4T. If not you are certainly gonna be carrot by AD or outside workshop and find a hole in your pocket very soon.

The common rattle issue I literally had to take out the speedometer gauge and 4 door panels to do some modification to minimize the noise. Not forgetting the panels in the tailgate which also did rattle slightly. Build quality is not excellent tbh, but you won't see parts falling apart.

So far no issue with steering column after 2 years. No major issue to complain. Engine is smooth, gearbox could do bit more and suspension maybe tune to be slightly better but other than it is definitely a great car at this price point.

As time goes by you definitely need to be able to source your own parts in order to reduce the service cost. For example doing the brake pads at AD or outside workshop will be more than twice the amount compared to when you source your own parts + labour

Some say conti is expensive to maintain, I say is a matter of how much effort you put in to save that money.

Furthermore parts is readily available online especially in the UK (vauxhall). Yes there is the shipping cost but after including the freight charges somehow the parts + labour still cheaper than doing here at AD [:)]

$230 exclude gst to change brake pads front and rear for astra at outside workshop still consider expensive? Quite a few done at stocklist united motors.

Safer approached? I thought there are complaint on QQ 1.2T cvt transmission?

I'm driving Opel crossland x, 1 year about 25k mileage. So far no issue. i bought those $60 pnp odb2 ecm, now gear runs even creamier with linear pickup and even better instant torque. Please note opel crossland x is 1.2 tonne car. The QQ is 1.4 tonne...

as in the 6spd torque converter is safer. the QQ has a lag sometimes when accel from stop. encounter it a few dozen times alrdy. pump 98 oct and it’s better. but fuel consumption is avg 9km/L.

kinda regretted not getting the 2.0 last time thou

$230 exclude gst to change brake pads front and rear for astra at outside workshop still consider expensive? Quite a few done at stocklist united motors.

Purchase online + labour = $210. Can choose ur own brake pad brand some more. Is all up to you. To me I like to know what parts I'm putting on my car.

Then again i might just spend that extra $20 and go to United Motors to do.

You do risk buying the wrong parts online therefore require a fair bit of time researching for the right one. Again back to my point of whether u want to spend that extra effort saving money. 

The bad thing is I can't get hold of the maintenance manual, if not I would be doing myself.

• Praise 1

i did realise the car pulled to the left still thou. lol

My car had the same issue. I kept thinking was my wheel alignment. I did wheel alignment at 4 different tyre shops. Still pulling to the left.

Went to agent and they suspect is the steering wheel needs centering cos it is electronic steering wheel. (Maybe manufacturing defect or QC issue)

End up still no use.

as in the 6spd torque converter is safer. the QQ has a lag sometimes when accel from stop. encounter it a few dozen times alrdy. pump 98 oct and itâs better. but fuel consumption is avg 9km/L.

kinda regretted not getting the 2.0 last time thou

I test driven the QQ 1.2 before cos I was interested. The auto start stop failed when we are at a traffic light. Engine failed to restart. Have to turn off the ignition button and start the ignition again.

I asked the SE, if you are me, will you dare to buy this car. Lol.

my QQ was quite okay. just that the occasion power loss was really hard to live with. and also other words my backside itchy. cause the price for the astra was really quite okay. too bad the tourer didn’t have the 3k off. if not i’ll eould have gone for the tourer.

• Praise 1

(edited)

my QQ was quite okay. just that the occasion power loss was really hard to live with. and also other words my backside itchy. cause the price for the astra was really quite okay. too bad the tourer didnât have the 3k off. if not iâll eould have gone for the tourer.

My friend used to drive a QQ 1.2 also. He almost got into an accident cos of the power loss.

He was at a cross junction waiting to make a right turn.

He saw the oncoming car was very far away so he decided to go ahead and turn.

Suddenly the car lost power in the middle of the turn and he was stuck in the path of the oncoming car.

Within the next month, he sold his QQ and bought a 2nd hand golf.

Edited by Whattheheck
  • Praise 1

My friend used to drive a QQ 1.2 also. He almost got into an accident cos of the power loss.

Suddenly the car lost power in the middle of the turn and he was stuck in the path of the oncoming car.

How much he lost? Why cannot go back to AD? Selling Makes no sense

How much he lost? Why cannot go back to AD? Selling Makes no sense

actually we did went to AD for checks. but the problem is that it’s not consistent. and there are like no special conditions to trigger it.

sometimes just heng heng u saw a gap and want to make your way thru. but the car refuse to accel. it happened to me was that i realised powerlos, i braked. the car behind horn me like no tml.

• Praise 1

he bought a 2nd golf? dry dual clutch? if yes..then it's still an unreliable car.
  • Praise 2

he bought a 2nd golf? dry dual clutch? if yes..then it's still an unreliable car.

I thought that VW already fixed the defects and the DSG is now OK so no more problem?

Anyway back to this thread: Suddenly, it has become active again.

I just came back from Selangor with my Astra 1.4T HB with a detour to Melaka, Trip from my home and back is about 993 km.

Super shiok! Only I feel that the ride is a little bumpy, maybe I set the tyre pressure in ECO mode and on 17" rims.

The trunk roads in Selangor is uneven even when they just resurfaced it with new tar. Maybe the contractor "anyhow do with no QC" or sometimes the ground sinks at some parts.

Cheers.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2