Opel Astra 2016

ki_chiu

5 hours ago, AndrewLee72 said:

Redjohn55.. Astra 1.0 is using MTA gearbox. You shld know this when you test drove the car. 

You have to gently coax the accelerator from gear 1 to 3 at least. Meaning depress from moving off.. Let rpm go to near 3K then release then accelerate again. Repeat till you hit 80km there about. Or chose to manual mode. Go read up more on MTA gearbox or join Opel facebook forum to get more tips / poisons. 

Welcome to Opel group! 

Andrewlee72 Thanks for the respond. Actually its more then that it jerk quite abit while moving slowly at carpark and sometime when depress the pedal nothing happen for a split second and jerk forward there after. I test drive the vehicle twice before buying, the first time i notice the sluggish gear change so i read up and its seem it the nature of a MTA gearbox so i took it for a spin a second time and was fine with it. But after collection on the second things happen😭😭🙏🏻

↡ Advertisement

Hi Redjohn55.. Ok i think you can join FB opel group. Then join us during our meetup.. We can test drive your car see see! 

CK motor maybe can help u.. They service opel cars. Me going there soon to get new rear brake pads changed. Im driving 2017 sports tourer. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, AndrewLee72 said:

Hi Redjohn55.. Ok i think you can join FB opel group. Then join us during our meetup.. We can test drive your car see see! 

CK motor maybe can help u.. They service opel cars. Me going there soon to get new rear brake pads changed. Im driving 2017 sports tourer. 

Opel owner group Singapore?

Redjohn55. Yep. FB opel owners grp. 

CK.. So far got members went for brake pads change. Price reasonable. Ofcos cheaper than Agent oso. 

Other works on Opel.. Im not sure. TBH. 

On 11/10/2019 at 7:32 PM, RedJohn55 said:

😭😭😭 Anyone overhaul GB here? Damage?

3yo car shouldnt require GB o/haul.

MTA gearbox means using clutch, not torque converter. Possibility is normal wear and tear of clutch system if your mileage above 60k

58 minutes ago, Ngbernie said:

3yo car shouldnt require GB o/haul.

MTA gearbox means using clutch, not torque converter. Possibility is normal wear and tear of clutch system if your mileage above 60k

So its probably the clutch that need to be change.

On 11/10/2019 at 7:32 PM, RedJohn55 said:

😭😭😭 Anyone overhaul GB here? Damage?

No need to overhaul GB lah. 

The jerking you felt during low speed (eg going up multistorey carpark) came from the engaging and disengaging of the clutch.

The ECU sees speed dropping and and you are stepping on the brakes and it will mitigate an engine stall by disengaging the clutch.

However, the moment you release your brake pedal and step on the gas, the ECU determines that you are trying to accelerate and it will engage the clutch again. It is the re-engaging of the clutch that gives you the jerk.

So if you drive the Astra like a regular AT car, you step brake step accelerator, repeat, you will get this jerking.

It is the most obvious when you drive up the ramp and at the peak of the ramp the ECU will be confused and you will get this engaging and disengaging going on.

The ECU will only engage half clutch from moving off from stationary.

For me, I will accelerate quick a little before going up the ramp to give the car momentum. You will find the sweet spot in momentum eventually.

As for the flat spot, the GB is not designed to function like the conventional planetary AT GB. When you are below 2,000 RPM and you try to force a shift down by depressing the gas, the ECU is slow to respond to your demand.

The correct and more enjoyable way is to pull the gear stick down to force it into MT mode and your gear will drop and immediately you will have power. After your overtaking just push the gear stick to the right to re-engage Auto mode again.

This car is very responsive. Give it some time and you will like the direct power from engine to wheels. No torque converter lag.

• Praise 2

On 11/10/2019 at 8:31 AM, RedJohn55 said:

Hi everyone,

I am a new owner of Astra K 1.0A. I bought it second hand its 3 years old. I facing some issue with the gearbox after collection of vehicle 😭. Its jerk alot, really sluggish and sometime when I try accelerate it have a flat spot it will not respond. Getting a little bit frustrated thou. Hope some bros here can give me some advice. 

May be time for clutch replacement. Heavy acceleration off the line, lugging of heavy load etc will wear out clutch faster, if not damaging gearbox. 

Same applies to DSG and manual GB.

On 11/14/2019 at 9:37 AM, Chisiang said:

No need to overhaul GB lah. 

The jerking you felt during low speed (eg going up multistorey carpark) came from the engaging and disengaging of the clutch.

The ECU sees speed dropping and and you are stepping on the brakes and it will mitigate an engine stall by disengaging the clutch.

However, the moment you release your brake pedal and step on the gas, the ECU determines that you are trying to accelerate and it will engage the clutch again. It is the re-engaging of the clutch that gives you the jerk.

So if you drive the Astra like a regular AT car, you step brake step accelerator, repeat, you will get this jerking.

It is the most obvious when you drive up the ramp and at the peak of the ramp the ECU will be confused and you will get this engaging and disengaging going on.

The ECU will only engage half clutch from moving off from stationary.

For me, I will accelerate quick a little before going up the ramp to give the car momentum. You will find the sweet spot in momentum eventually.

As for the flat spot, the GB is not designed to function like the conventional planetary AT GB. When you are below 2,000 RPM and you try to force a shift down by depressing the gas, the ECU is slow to respond to your demand.

The correct and more enjoyable way is to pull the gear stick down to force it into MT mode and your gear will drop and immediately you will have power. After your overtaking just push the gear stick to the right to re-engage Auto mode again.

This car is very responsive. Give it some time and you will like the direct power from engine to wheels. No torque converter lag.

Thanks for your information. Appreciate it. Kinda getting a hang of this gb but just required some attention. Now concern is the maintenance and reliability of this gb.

(edited)

Just saw that the facelifted Astra is now available locally. AD brings in the variant with a new generation GM 1.4L engine but is a 3-cylinder compared against the pre-facelifted 4-cylinder. Transmission-wise it is running a 7-speed CVT against the pre-facelifted 6-speed AT. Not sure who is the OEM for the transmission.

There is another variant with 1.2L engine with the same horsepower as the 1.4L. The 1.2L engine is mated to a 9-speed(!) AT. Not sure why this variant wasn't brought in instead.

I think this will be a decent competitor against the new VW Golf Mk8.

Edit: The 9-speed AT is only mated to Diesel engine.

Edited by sinistral

Supercharged

Hi ladies and gentlemen,

Was browsing motorist web-site and chanced upon a used Opel Astra 1.0T, 2017 Oct registered with some 70,000km on it.

It was listed 60k. I bidded less than the amt actually, a bit backside itchy itchy and it seems the owner willing to sell liao at my expected price.

Suddenly I am torn btw wanting to get this ride or not.

Main doubts:

1) Reliability. Any potential GB issues? Clutch issues on the 17 mode?

2) Wonder if the car is still under agent warranty?

Pros:

1) Nice price point.

2) Looks handsome

3) Low Roadtax and good power. And youtubers in UK seems to enjoy the handling of this baby

↡ Advertisement