Opel Astra 2016

ki_chiu

53 minutes ago, Spurman said:

Hi ladies and gentlemen,

Was browsing motorist web-site and chanced upon a used Opel Astra 1.0T, 2017 Oct registered with some 70,000km on it.

It was listed 60k. I bidded less than the amt actually, a bit backside itchy itchy and it seems the owner willing to sell liao at my expected price.

Suddenly I am torn btw wanting to get this ride or not.

Main doubts:

1) Reliability. Any potential GB issues? Clutch issues on the 17 mode?

2) Wonder if the car is still under agent warranty?

Pros:

1) Nice price point.

2) Looks handsome

3) Low Roadtax and good power. And youtubers in UK seems to enjoy the handling of this baby

A close friend of mine used to drive the 1.0L variant, changed car after 2 years.. main complaint is the slow and jerky gearbox, makes overtaking a pain. It's also undecisive at times. I also noted that the engine is gruff sounding and not as refined as other cars in the price range.

Because of this, he jokingly says he don't overtake, he undertakes, because by the time the car has shifted gear properly and the engine RPM builds up to get ready for overtaking, it's time to press the brakes and undertake instead. 😆

Good points are is the low road tax, reasonable FC and relatively spacious cabin.

Basically, can't say much about reliability as he sold his car when it was relatively new. But manage your expectations when it comes to this car especially when it comes to overtaking on the highways.

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged
9 minutes ago, Rickster said:

A close friend of mine used to drive the 1.0L variant, changed car after 2 years.. main complaint is the slow and jerky gearbox, makes overtaking a pain. It's also undecisive at times. I also noted that the engine is gruff sounding and not as refined as other cars in the price range.

Because of this, he jokingly says he don't overtake, he undertakes, because by the time the car has shifted gear properly and the engine RPM builds up to get ready for overtaking, it's time to press the brakes and undertake instead. 😆

Good points are is the low road tax, reasonable FC and relatively spacious cabin.

Basically, can't say much about reliability as he sold his car when it was relatively new. But manage your expectations when it comes to this car especially when it comes to overtaking on the highways.

Thanks Bro for your swift reply. Hehe.

On 5/2/2020 at 1:30 AM, sinistral said:

Just saw that the facelifted Astra is now available locally. AD brings in the variant with a new generation GM 1.4L engine but is a 3-cylinder compared against the pre-facelifted 4-cylinder. Transmission-wise it is running a 7-speed CVT against the pre-facelifted 6-speed AT. Not sure who is the OEM for the transmission.

There is another variant with 1.2L engine with the same horsepower as the 1.4L. The 1.2L engine is mated to a 9-speed(!) AT. Not sure why this variant wasn't brought in instead.

I think this will be a decent competitor against the new VW Golf Mk8.

Edit: The 9-speed AT is only mated to Diesel engine.

I will say to you, GOOD LUCK if you get the new Astra.

I'm about to write an in-depth review of the Astra K soon. 

On 5/2/2020 at 1:30 AM, sinistral said:

Just saw that the facelifted Astra is now available locally. AD brings in the variant with a new generation GM 1.4L engine but is a 3-cylinder compared against the pre-facelifted 4-cylinder. Transmission-wise it is running a 7-speed CVT against the pre-facelifted 6-speed AT. Not sure who is the OEM for the transmission.

There is another variant with 1.2L engine with the same horsepower as the 1.4L. The 1.2L engine is mated to a 9-speed(!) AT. Not sure why this variant wasn't brought in instead.

I think this will be a decent competitor against the new VW Golf Mk8.

Edit: The 9-speed AT is only mated to Diesel engine.

CVT is CVT. Name is Continuous Variable Transmission. It is just a big cone with pulleys and no gears. Wonder why car dealers keep advertising 7-speed CVT!

1 hour ago, Wormee said:

CVT is CVT. Name is Continuous Variable Transmission. It is just a big cone with pulleys and no gears. Wonder why car dealers keep advertising 7-speed CVT!

the speed are nothing more than a series of preset cones/ pulleys positions. The intention is to mimic conventional torque converter AT as much as possible. 

Note these presets still can't totally eliminate the dreaded rubber band effect during take off.  One must not put unrealistic expectations into these presets that such simple mod will make CVT as good as conventional torque converter or the good old stick shift.

Having said that, these presets do have their uses. It is effective in offering variable engine brake when going downhill. Conventional CVT tends to have very poor engine braking capability. And you may use it to good effect when driving fast on twisty mountain roads, where u need to rev the engine had to keep the power on. 

(edited)

Here at Opel they call the CVT "Stepless gearbox". Well at least it's a step up from easytronic 3.0.

Maybe it wasn't all that easy after all.

Edited by Johnny86
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
On 10/30/2019 at 9:41 AM, Kezg1 said:

....the whole damn thing about COe implemented was to fatten up the coffer..n likewise AD ride on the bandwagon...imho

then again if no coe, every tom dick harry can afford a car and we will be the next indonesia/china with massive jams every where then as usual, singaporeans will whine and complain lor. 

Edited by ferrytales

On 7/19/2020 at 6:08 PM, Johnny86 said:

I will say to you, GOOD LUCK if you get the new Astra.

I'm about to write an in-depth review of the Astra K soon. 

You mean the 2020 version with 1.4 and CVT on sale now? Is it very jialat?

Turbo CVT is like driving a single speed electric vehicle, u may get fast acceleration but in a linear way. Having driven a CVT car previously for 9 years, my advise is to avoid the CVT Astra unless u prefer a gentle ride for family members. 

Tuning potential of the 1.4T engine will also be limited as CVT typically cannot handle high torque. Tune too much torque and the CVT will go kaputt.

Edited by Ceecookie

Thanks ceecookie. I think CVT is still a dealbreaker for people who enjoy driving. That's probably one of the biggest downsides to this less boring Corolla alternative.

On 10/24/2020 at 1:46 PM, Junyanyap said:

Am considering the Astra or Corsa. Any feedbacks? Any common issues? Expectation wise? It will be my first car. 

Are you looking for new or used? Latest Astra model is 1.4 CVT.

Previous model was 1.0T MTA or 1.4T 6 speed auto. The 1.4 engine is also different from the current one.

IMO

if you’re after a more budget conti car with a bit more go, the skoda Octavia should be on your radar.. the Opel dealership is rather small... do ask them how long does it take for replacement parts to come in for example..

Neutral Newbie

Hi all, I know this has been discussed many times. But after 4 years on the road, anyone has any reviews on the 1.0L Astra?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1