Opel Astra 2016

ki_chiu

Strange combo of engine size and tourer body.

Hahaha, that's what i feel too. 

Sth that's ard 4.7m long powered by a 999CC engine. 

↡ Advertisement

anyone tried android auto in the Astra?

dun think android auto is available in Astra yet.. so far only Apple Carplay, but heard that a firmware update will be provided once the service is available in future :a-m1212: :a-m1212:

dun think android auto is available in Astra yet.. so far only Apple Carplay, but heard that a firmware update will be provided once the service is available in future :a-m1212: :a-m1212:

I asked the SE. It is available in the system. However, the Android Auto app is not available in the singapore market. 

You can sideload the Android Auto apk. Just google for it and it can be easily found. 

Am wondering if anyone has tried it?

Any news when they will bring in the 1.4t Sports Tourer? Currently the Tourer is only available in the 1.0t

I was told by my SE that the 1.4T Sport Tourer will arrive in Singapore by the end of this year. The current 1.0T Tourer is not available for test drive and so I told her to inform me when the 1.4T is available.

In fact, the MOKKA and new Insignia should be made available by then as well which will make my car shopping experience a very fun event. [bounce2] 

Just in time before my trusty car expire next June.    [bigcry]

Still driving my Astra H 1.8 from Day 1 - 7.5 years old now. The longest I've had a car!

(Had an Astra G Manual 1.4 previously - I bought it when it was 6.5 years old and drove it all the way to the last day. That good experience was why I bought the Astra H brand new.)

Reading all this, and having gone down to Suntec and also Ubi, I am very tempted to now get the new Astra! (Only thing stopping me is that I still have 2.5 years left of my current Astra!)

Change..............................................  [sly]   

#maituliao

(edited)

spotted something from the UK Vauxhall, not sure if it applies here:

https://www.docdroid.net/Qmd8T4a/my16-faq-navi-900-touch-r700-intellilink-software-update-android-auto.pdf.html

Fuel Gauge / Tank Issue:

Contact your Dealership and ask them to carry out Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 3245. 

The dealership will need to program the P16 instrument cluster with latest software available in TIS2WEB/SPS.

It affects all VIN's/Chassis numbers between G8000000 and G8060668. If the last 8 digits of your chassis number fall in this range call your local dealership . The software update takes an hour or so and will need to be applied by one of their better trained technicians so expect to leave it for half a day / the day depending on the size of the dealership and staff levels. 

This will be covered by warranty and there will be no charge to you at all in the first 3 years / 60,000 miles of the vehicles life. 

Android Auto Software Update - Now Available!:

Please refer to the following FAQ direct from Opel/Vauxhall: http://docdro.id/Qmd8T4a

As of Monday 16/05/2016 Opel & Vauxhall have released the software update for Android Auto for any Model Year Insignia's or Astra K's that did not have it factory fitted. This update can be applied to ALL Model Year 2016 Astra K's and Insignia's. Keep in mind even if you picked up your vehicle last year (2015) it will still be classed as Model Year 2016 as this is the first year of full production. 

You must have Radio Units: RF700 touch OR RF900 Navi (Navi900) 

The update is useful even for Apple users as it also provides voice recognition and navigation improvements alongside list scrolling to make menu navigation easier. If you live in Germany you also get TMCPro as part of the update. 

PLEASE NOTE: This is considered an extra feature by Vauxhall and will be charged for. It will not be covered by warranty or Vauxhall Customer Care. If you want the update you must pay the dealership Service Department the fee that they quote. The key point to note is the dealership sets the price and not Vauxhall so prices may vary. I would estimate, working in this environment daily, that most dealers will charge 1 hour at their hourly labour rate. The reason for this is it is quite an involved process. It involves covering the daylight sensor of the car, re-programming the touch screen, radio and Instrument Panel Cluster and finally conducting a fault code readout and deleting any fault codes. This is a good hours labour for an experienced diagnostic technician as they will want to test operation afterward (preferably with a member of staff's Android Auto to confirm it works). 

Approach your dealer and ask for: 

DACT4166 to be carried out reference MY16 RF700 touch & RF900 navi Android Auto (phone projection) software update.

So for those looking at Android Auto, probably would be good to make sure it is all updated before collection....

Edited by Aaur4man

(edited)

This GM 1.4 turbo engine had problems with cracked pistons / piston rings, in their prior implementation in Chevrolet model. Had led to oil flowing into cylinder heads, inter coolers and even oil laydown on the turbine blades!!

I wonder if GM had fully resolved the design problem?

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/7582-gm-finally-admitting-there-problem-1-4l-pistons.html#/forumsite/20578/topics/7582?page=1

Not that great, this GM 1.4T EcoTec engine ... even in recent 2015 Chevy models.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/chevy-cruze.html

Edited by merc280v6

1st Gear

Hi all, after reading your positive feedback, I just signed on the dotted line 3 hours ago.

(edited)

Hi all, after reading your positive feedback, I just signed on the dotted line 3 hours ago.

Good luck on your new GM-brand car! *thumbs up* :D Edited by merc280v6

Welcome to the club. Which model did u take?

1st Gear

Welcome to the club. Which model did u take?

I bought the 1.4. It was made on the spur of the moment. I realised that the lights are halogen and they replaced the shark fin with antenna rod.

(edited)

This GM 1.4 turbo engine had problems with cracked pistons / piston rings, in their prior implementation in Chevrolet model. Had led to oil flowing into cylinder heads, inter coolers and even oil laydown on the turbine blades!!

I wonder if GM had fully resolved the design problem?

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/7582-gm-finally-admitting-there-problem-1-4l-pistons.html#/forumsite/20578/topics/7582?page=1

Not that great, this GM 1.4T EcoTec engine ... even in recent 2015 Chevy models.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/chevy-cruze.html

good heads up on that.

however as far as GM announcement go they did introduce their new ecotec 1.4T for the astra in June 2015.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/06/opel-drops-the-details-on-astra-ks-new-all-aluminum-1-4l-turbo-powerplant/

So the new ecotec uses aluminum block instead of cast iron. Not sure how it will fair in terms of reliability.

Specs wise both are indeed different; and worse Cruze ecotec's lower bhp and torque lugging a 1.3 tonner off the traffic.

also if you compare photos of both engines they are slightly different. turbocharger wise havent been able to read much into it.

Cruze (left hand drive)

Chevrolet_Cruze_ECOTEC_India.jpg

Astra (taken today at the showroom):

OsAfZab.jpg

However complains on engine for the Cruze in SG are not widely known yet.

Fingers crossed for the new Ecotec then

Tip on how to protect the astra turbo:

Turbocharger Protection

Hi all,

For those of you with Turbocharger's on your new Astra K's here is a bit of important advice from page 147 of the owners manual you may have overlooked:

'After running at high engine speeds or with high engine loads, operate the engine briefly at a low load or run in neutral for approximately 30 seconds before switching off, in order to protect the turbocharger'. 

Essentially if you've been on a long drive (20-30 minutes+), dual carriageway, motorway or activated Sport Switch then when you pull up and park leave the car parked in neutral on idle for 30 seconds or so before you switch it off. This will protect your turbocharger and keep it in better condition for longer. 

In the Winter high engine load can be induced by having simple things such as the heated windscreens on and the cold will increase the strain on the engine to start. The battery will also be draining faster in the cold so the ECU will put more strain on the engine to keep the battery charged.

Personally I would recommend after any journey in a turbocharged car giving it a few seconds on idle after parking won't do it any harm and may help to protect the turbo. 

That explains turbo timer on some cars.

Edited by Aaur4man

What's the omv of the 1.4t thinking of 1.0 but like not enough power. My 2010 Astra was great to drive. Can't forget it even after 2 cars in between. ð

$20,800

Come come.. I recommend my SE to u

• Praise 1

Is yours SLD or SLE?

What brand is the front and rear camera and how is it wired (direct to the car battery)?

SLE liao

SLE liao ð

Iroad V7.. Directly to the car batt I think.. I'm not so sure abt that as I'm not a very technical person ð

Did help my friend to Enquire with my SE on that. First batch of Tourer should be delivering in mid aug or early Aug.

If u want can pm me for my SE no.. Can check with him directly ð

Bro ur SE info not updated lei lol.. Cos my friend also keen in tourer, he just test drive the 1.0 over the weekend. He felt that the gb when put to manual it's pretty fun. But still he wanna wait for the 1.4 before making his decision ð

Nicely hidden.. Connect to batt I guess ð I also not so sure. But the camera stop when I off my engine.

Was told that I'll need to go back to do some setting if I wanted the camera to continue running aft I off my engine. FOC service

Haha...I didn't get the free front cam offer....anyway see how coe bidding goes. May not get it though

Haha...I didn't get the free front cam offer....anyway see how coe bidding goes. May not get it though

Whose ur SE?

I recommend my SE to u. A few of the bros here also visited and made their bookings with him. He quite steady one..

From day 1 till now I'll would say his very prompt and enthu and patient with me.. Will rate him 9/10 in my opinion.

↡ Advertisement