12-year-old receives SCDF award for helping accident victims

Carbon82

(edited)

Hi people, please stop taking photos or videos on your mobile phone the next time you come across an accident. Help the victims, just like what the 12 year old did. [thumbsup]

He approached both drivers involved in a traffic accident to check on their well-being when no one else stepped in to help.

ST_20160603_AWARD03FBSA_2339745.jpg?itok

When 12-year-old Ashvin Gunasegaran was on his way home with his friends after school, they heard a loud "boom" behind them as they were crossing the road.

He turned around and saw that two cars had collided in a middle of the junction of Yishun Ring Road and Yishun Ave 2. Without a second thought, the Yishun Primary School Student rushed to attend to the victims. He was warned by his friends not to step forward as the roads were too dangerous.

"I thought someone would step up and help but then it turned out there was no one. Everyone was just taking pictures and no one was helping them," said Ashvin.

He approached the drivers one after another and he found out that one was pregnant and her leg was bleeding. He eventually waited for the ambulance to arrive before leaving the scene.

For his gallant efforts to ensure the well-being of the victims of the accident, which took place around 1.10pm last Tuesday (May 31), Ashvin was awarded the Public Spiritedness Award by the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) on Thursday (Jun 2).

Speaking at the award ceremony, Commander for the 3rd SCDF Division Lieutenant-Colonel Eric Chua said: "You are never too young to be somebody who renders a helping hand. Ashvin is just all of 12 grand years in age and I'm very surprised, in fact, and very happy that he has stepped forward."

"We hope all people could do likewise despite the fact that we had people standing by taking photographs and your friends were quite hesitant to come forth. He did so. He did a marvellous job," LTC Chua added.

Ashvin's mother, Swares Helen Louisa, 50, who was also present at the award ceremony, said she is very proud of her youngest son.

"He is my hero in the house now. I really didn't expect he went all the way to help the two ladies that (were) involved in the accident. So I'm really very happy," she said.

"I feel heroic. Because I actually thought that it would be a normal day after but suddenly everyone started calling me a hero, all my friends and all my family," said Ashvin.

Edited by Carbon82
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 12

Supercharged

This young boy is indeed commendable and put many drivers especially those kaypoh who slow down n look at accident that happened IN THE OTHER DIRECTION n nearly cause accident in their own direction to SHAME!!!

Throw an accident, out of 10 drivers easily half are kaypoh n worse tailgater.

• Praise 3

I remember sometime ago in USA we saw a car accident just not too far from us. We got up and wanted to provide help but our American colleagues stopped us and told us to call ambulance OK already. Later asked why? Can get sued even for helping because victim may claim you made his or her condition worse. I think we unfortunately are moving towards that direction.

• Praise 3

Supersonic

I remember sometime ago in USA we saw a car accident just not too far from us. We got up and wanted to provide help but our American colleagues stopped us and told us to call ambulance OK already. Later asked why? Can get sued even for helping because victim may claim you made his or her condition worse. I think we unfortunately are moving towards that direction.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law

But Good Samaritan laws vary by jurisdiction. I would be wary in the US as well.

Interestingly this was discussed in Singapore Parly as well, with the usual tai chee answer you'd expect from Indranee. :D

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/specialreports/parliament/news/no-need-for-good/1127064.html

• Praise 3

I think Malaysian is better in helping during an accident compare to Malaysia. In SG, everything leave it to Police & SCDF. In Malaysia, the 1st 1 who help is always the member of public...

Hi people, please stop taking photos or videos on your mobile phone the next time you come across an accident. Help the victims, just like what the 12 year old did. [thumbsup]

He approached both drivers involved in a traffic accident to check on their well-being when no one else stepped in to help.

ST_20160603_AWARD03FBSA_2339745.jpg?itok

When 12-year-old Ashvin Gunasegaran was on his way home with his friends after school, they heard a loud "boom" behind them as they were crossing the road.

He turned around and saw that two cars had collided in a middle of the junction of Yishun Ring Road and Yishun Ave 2. Without a second thought, the Yishun Primary School Student rushed to attend to the victims. He was warned by his friends not to step forward as the roads were too dangerous.

"I thought someone would step up and help but then it turned out there was no one. Everyone was just taking pictures and no one was helping them," said Ashvin.

He approached the drivers one after another and he found out that one was pregnant and her leg was bleeding. He eventually waited for the ambulance to arrive before leaving the scene.

For his gallant efforts to ensure the well-being of the victims of the accident, which took place around 1.10pm last Tuesday (May 31), Ashvin was awarded the Public Spiritedness Award by the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) on Thursday (Jun 2).

Speaking at the award ceremony, Commander for the 3rd SCDF Division Lieutenant-Colonel Eric Chua said: "You are never too young to be somebody who renders a helping hand. Ashvin is just all of 12 grand years in age and I'm very surprised, in fact, and very happy that he has stepped forward."

"We hope all people could do likewise despite the fact that we had people standing by taking photographs and your friends were quite hesitant to come forth. He did so. He did a marvellous job," LTC Chua added.

Ashvin's mother, Swares Helen Louisa, 50, who was also present at the award ceremony, said she is very proud of her youngest son.

"He is my hero in the house now. I really didn't expect he went all the way to help the two ladies that (were) involved in the accident. So I'm really very happy," she said.

"I feel heroic. Because I actually thought that it would be a normal day after but suddenly everyone started calling me a hero, all my friends and all my family," said Ashvin.

• Praise 8

I think Malaysian is better in helping during an accident compare to Malaysia. In SG, everything leave it to Police & SCDF. In Malaysia, the 1st 1 who help is always the member of public...

In Malaysia the people dun really can rely/depend on their police or scdf   [sweatdrop]  [sweatdrop]

In Malaysia the people dun really can rely/depend on their police or scdf   [sweatdrop]  [sweatdrop]

Yalor..... :lll._.:

Either they relieve off your wallet, brief case, lap-top, watches, rings & chain or the police will do it whilst your are semi-conscious state.... :pissed-off:  

Ambulance driver & attendance KPKB cos they are the last to the scene... :XD:

• Praise 1

My china colleague was telling me that in china it's better not to help.

Once you helped you're liable for the injury due to some stupid Chinese law.

Quite ridiculous

• Praise 1

Quite ridiculous

Not the law, but people's perception that once you are seen assisting the victim, you must be the culprit.

I am sad to see that many are so cold today, not only on the road, but simple thing like holding the lift door open for needy, offering to share umbrella with people (at least with old folk or young children) when raining, clearing table after finishing their meal. These are something so straight forward and required little effort, yet can make live a lot easier for others... ... I don't know what to say.

• Praise 6

Neutral Newbie

Quite ridiculous

Still can help if you want to but make sure take photo or videos before you help

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1