DIY copper water piping/BluePica House Issues

Bluepica

Hi,

Looking for an electrician to rewire my friend's resale HDB.

Actually do we need EMA certified electrician to do the work? Cos I guess a lot of electrician from the north do not have such certification but of course their price are cheaper. By the way, if you have any good electrician pls recommend....

I found some with $45 for single 13A power gang and $55 for double power gang, $28 for light point.... See any can be better than this...

Thanks!!

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

make sure cheap, they also use good expensive wires... hahahahaha...

If not, later wire insulation melts burn down house.

If you noticed, many of today's USB charging wires for smartphones fray or melt. Here, we are talking about small current. Will be more interesting for your house electricity supply.

If concealed wiring, it will be subjected to more initial wear and tear (abrasion) when electrician pull in the new wires. If quality no good, good luck...

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 5

Supersonic

Wiring is about thickness of the cable.

The thicker it is, the more expensive, but it will carry more current, without overheating.

If the circuit breaker is rated for 25A, then only a lmited thickness is good enough. No need for giant, expensive cables.

• Praise 3

Hi,

Actually do we need EMA certified electrician to do the work? Cos I guess a lot of electrician from the north do not have such certification but of course their price are cheaper. By the way, if you have any good electrician pls recommend....

I found some with $45 for single 13A power gang and $55 for double power gang, $28 for light point.... See any can be better than this...

Thanks!!

It will be more helpful for HDB owner currently sourcing sub-contractors if it includes below : 

1. Electrical
  2. Air-con
  3. Plumping & Sanitary
  4. Wall & Kitchen Cabinets
  5. Floor Tiling & Cementing works
  6. Doors & Window Grille
  7. CCTV
  • Praise 3

The thicker it is, the more expensive, but it will carry more current, without overheating.

If the circuit breaker is rated for 25A, then only a lmited thickness is good enough. No need for giant, expensive cables.

This is one consideration - insulation thickness.

I learnt from my aircon installer that there was a batch of MIC cables that contain more that normal amount of aluminium than copper. This resulted in my aircon wirings broke circuit and I had to re-wire again, in less than 2 years.  

• Praise 3

Supersonic

I learnt from my aircon installer that there was a batch of MIC cables that contain more that normal amount of aluminium than copper. This resulted in my aircon wirings broke circuit and I had to re-wire again, in less than 2 years.  

It's not really about insulation thickness.

Aluminum is less conductive than copper. It is also cheaper.

By adding more aluminum, conductivity reduces, resistance increases and heating effect increases.

Bcuz pure copper is expensive, sometimes they "cheat" by using cheaper aluminum-clad copper.

In this case, the wire size would need a bit of upsizing to increased heating effect.

Insulation breaks down over the years due to heating effect.

So if you have old wiring that handles a lot of current, like those you use for electric kettle, aircon, then you should consider replacing the wiring.

Circuit breakers in most of our houses, apartments, act like a fuse. It trips when insulation breaks down and a small leakage current is detected.

• Praise 3

Ya I also kenna.

My wiring was 3-4 yrs old when it started to trip, Aircon contractor said they were conned by supplier with MIC wires and since my warranty was over I have to pay 'friendship' price to rectify! [furious]    

Got a few quotes but they were cheapest so lan lan suck thumb  [thumbsdown]

Hypersonic

HDB circuit breakers are now all rated for 40 amps, only some old ones pre-upgrading are at 30amps.

Supersonic
(edited)

HDB circuit breakers are now all rated for 40 amps, only some old ones pre-upgrading are at 30amps.

My old hdb only 20A breaker for mains and 6A for lighting.

If you have 40A breaker, then I think the wires running from that breaker should be thicker.

If you go buy electrical wires (100ft coil), they will ask you what capacity you are running.

The higher capacity, thicker wire is obviously more expensive.

Edited by Kb27

Hypersonic

My old hdb only 20A breaker for mains and 6A for lighting.

If you have 40A breaker, then I think the wires running from that breaker should be thicker.

If you go buy electrical wires (100ft coil), they will ask you what capacity you are running.

The higher capacity, thicker wire is obviously more expensive.

I see. That was the information i gleaned from reading renovation forums previously.

6th Gear

HDB may just allowed max of 20A circuit breaker.

Rewire concealed wiring only solution just above skirting will be partial hidden.

Better get EMA certified for peace of mind.

Hi,
Thanks!!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1