S'porean Father died trying to save Daughter @ Waterfall

Lala81

Hypersonic

Wanted to start a thread for Singaporeans who pass away from accidental deaths (car accidents) or otherwise.

I think previously they are all scattered in different threads and sometimes in a bit irrelevant type of grouping.

Mods can decide whether this is relevant.

Thanks.

RIP to this father.

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/singaporean-dies-after-plunging-down-kulai-waterfall-while-trying-to-save-7-year-old

OHOR BARU (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - A 47-year-old Singaporean died after plunging down the Gunung Pulai waterfall in Kulai on Sunday (July 3) afternoon.

Kulai Fire and Rescue Department chief Mohd Zainuddin Khairi said the deceased was identified as David Cho Kah Loong.

He said Mr Cho, his wife Chua Soon Hoon, 46, and their daughter Rachael, seven, went to the waterfall - a popular spot among locals and Singaporeans - for a picnic.

Also in the group were Madam Chua's sister Chua Mei Chin, 47, and seven-year-old Elizabeth Choo.

"We received a call at around 12.55pm and sent five personnel, who arrived at the scene after a few minutes," said Mohd Zainuddin.

He said Mr Cho and his wife fell when they tried to save Rachael, who had earlier slipped from the waterfall from a height of 20m.

Mr Cho's wife, Rachael and Elizabeth were injured in the incident, he added.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

JOHOR BARU (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - A 47-year-old Singaporean died after plunging down the Gunung Pulai waterfall in Kulai on Sunday (July 3) afternoon.

kulai1.jpg

Kulai Fire and Rescue Department chief Mohd Zainuddin Khairi said the deceased was identified as David Cho Kah Loong.

He said Mr Cho, his wife Chua Soon Hoon, 46, and their daughter Rachael, seven, went to the waterfall - a popular spot among locals and Singaporeans - for a picnic.

Also in the group were Madam Chua's sister Chua Mei Chin, 47, and seven-year-old Elizabeth Choo.

"We received a call at around 12.55pm and sent five personnel, who arrived at the scene after a few minutes," said Mohd Zainuddin.

He said Mr Cho and his wife fell when they tried to save Rachael, who had earlier slipped from the waterfall from a height of 20m.

Mr Cho's wife, Rachael and Elizabeth were injured in the incident, he added.

The daughter whom the father was trying to rescue escaped with injury but survived..yet...

Rest In Peace.... [smallcry]

• Praise 4

(edited)

Gunung-waterfall-title-pic1-730x410.jpg

gunung-pulai-waterfall.jpg

looks treacherous man....

RIP. always v sad to read about such news.

how does this waterfall looks like? 

Edited by Vratenza
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic

I thought most people go to waterfalls to stand at the bottom where the pool is.

Slippery rocks are treacherous man.

I hope the poor girl can live with this mental trauma. To have your parent die for you ...  [dead]

• Praise 4

(edited)

Indeed, then pose for selfies/photos. But still need to walk through some slippery rocks. A pool can also lead immediately to a fall.

I see many local kids jumping into the pool. Just don't know how they assess the depth of the pool. Quite scary and my balls shrink every time they jump. To them, like nothing....

I thought most people go to waterfalls to stand at the bottom where the pool is.

I hope the poor girl can live with this mental trauma. To have your parent die for you ...  [dead]

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 5

Twincharged

My eyes always well up when I read of such news. We parents will do anything without hesitation and with no regard to our own safety when we see our kids in danger. i guess that is what being a Dad is about.....safety of our child is paramount.

• Praise 16

Hypersonic

Indeed, then pose for selfies/photos. But still need to walk through some slippery rocks. A pool can also lead immediately to a fall.

I see many local kids jumping into the pool. Just don't know how they assess the depth of the pool. Quite scary and my balls shrink every time they jump. To them, like nothing....

i guess they can't understand. 

I watched the movie about the spanish man whose fight to get himself euthanised which failed.

He jumped off a ledge and hit a rock below.

quadriplegic for 10-20 years before eventually he persuaded someone to help him kill himself.

why did they climb to the higher part of the waterfall with a kid??  

sad to see such accident happen, parents should be more aware of the danger in such places.

• Praise 2

For a specific case in Kulai which I went to last year. The mother was actually there.  [sweatdrop]

I would not jump even if the pool is "certified" deep enough. You never know some big rocks would have shifted or dropped down into the pool. No joke hitting them on landing.

i guess they can't understand. 

I watched the movie about the spanish man whose fight to get himself euthanised which failed.

He jumped off a ledge and hit a rock below.

quadriplegic for 10-20 years before eventually he persuaded someone to help him kill himself.

Be at Peace Mr David Cho

You did what any parent would do without hesitation

the why/what/where questions are not relevant so STFU - lets celebrate it as an example of unmeasurable parental love

• Praise 11

Any places with water is always dangerous. Hills, mountains, cliffs and slopes as well.

Putting these together makes for a scenic place, but can be very dangerous.

I've been to Mt ophir and Berkelah Falls decades ago and they were ok, or at least we managed the risks carefully.

Anyone going to such waterfalls must really take lots precaution. The slime n algae accumulated over time makes it impossible to have good grips on the legs. Taking bigger steps will compromise your stability so must avoid...

Very sad n tragic.

RIP.

• Praise 4

Agree with you on being selfless in the face of danger to our kids.

But, another component of parenthood is looking out for dangers before an accident can happen with our years of life experience which our kids do not possess.

Not every time we have the opportunity to tell them "I told you so...."

My eyes always well up when I read of such news. We parents will do anything without hesitation and with no regard to our own safety when we see our kids in danger. i guess that is what being a Dad is about.....safety of our child is paramount.

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

So meaning the father, mother and daughter all fell down the 20m waterfall?? I'm amazed someone can survived the fall, looking at all the jagged sharp edges of the rocks.

Twincharged

Agree with you on being selfless in the face of danger to our kids.

But, another component of parenthood is looking out for dangers before an accident can happen with our years of life experience which our kids do not possess.

Not every time we have the opportunity to tell them "I told you so...."

:a-good:

So meaning the father, mother and daughter all fell down the 20m waterfall?? I'm amazed someone can survived the fall, looking at all the jagged sharp edges of the rocks.

When someone falls in those situations, it's really down to luck - in that there is little control on what angle the body is at, which part lands first, how near the 'wall', which part one his first (sharp or not), etc.

Also, the father could have sacrificed himself by shielding the wife and girl by using his body to cushion their impact.

We'll never know.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1