Stopping at Yellow Box

Revole

Been quite confused how does the yellow box work. Read this somewhere:

"Under the Road Traffic Rules, although part of the vehicle was in the yellow box, it was not causing obstruction to any other vehicle proceeding to or along that road junction and, as such, no offence was committed"

and "if there is nothing to impede the flow of traffic one does not have to stop."

Does this actually means that it is safe to stop in a yellow box, if there are no cars that I'll be blocking? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

1. You are not supposed to stop when going straight unless turning out from a side road.

2. I have never seen TP booking such an offense, but the culprits are a idiotic inconsiderate lot.

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

Nowadays, dunno how people have passed their Basic Theory, practically no one obeys the yellow junction box anymore, thereby causing further unnecessary congestion on our already congested roads!

• Praise 5

Thx to TS for starting this thread.

In the CBD area for example, there are a lot of yellow boxes for cars exiting carparks to get out onto the roads but when traffic is moderate to heavy, you will see inconsiderate idiots blocking the yellow boxes.  

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

"Under the Road Traffic Rules, although part of the vehicle was in the yellow box, it was not causing obstruction to any other vehicle proceeding to or along that road junction and, as such, no offence was committed"

and "if there is nothing to impede the flow of traffic one does not have to stop."

Does this actually means that it is safe to stop in a yellow box, if there are no cars that I'll be blocking? 

I think if part of the car stopped in the yellow box but the cars from the side road can still exit then no offence. But the best is to just don't go into the yellow box. Just follow the law and also be considerate. There are some small roads that are almost impossible to exit without using the yellow box due to traffic...

Another one is at the junction. I was honked at yesterday cuz I stopped behind the stop line at the junction as traffic is heavy infront. If I move forward, I will have to stop in the middle of the junction. Don't know what the car behind is thinking. Luckily I never move forward or else I will be blocking the cars turning right later on when the light turns red.

Edited by Nzy
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

Yellow box is ill-defined and open to interpretation.

Originally, it was meant to prevent gridlock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_junction

So stopping in a box junction and impeding traffic flow in the other direction is illegal.

However, it has come to mean "giving way" for side traffic joining the main road for some people.

If you follow the original intention of preventing gridlock and not impeding flow, the same side road traffic going into the box junction is also wrong. They make a gridlock by preventing, the main road traffic from moving forward.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

There are occasions I actually go into the yellow boxes. For example if there a long queue and the yellow box is for bus to get out of the bus stop. If I don't go forward into that box, nothing moves behind me since there is no bus at the bus stop.

So it only makes sense to move into the box so that the cars behind me can also move forward while the bus behind can enter the bus stop.

• Praise 7

There are occasions I actually go into the yellow boxes. For example if there a long queue and the yellow box is for bus to get out of the bus stop. If I don't go forward into that box, nothing moves behind me since there is no bus at the bus stop.

So it only makes sense to move into the box so that the cars behind me can also move forward while the bus behind can enter the bus stop.

Good considerate driver! More drivers shd be aware of the surroundings like you. Well done.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

The "somewhere" you read it was probably STOMP a few years back (or at least, STOMP was the original source). The circumstances were that a police car had been photographed inside the yellow box by a STOMPer. The police released the above "explanation" as to why no offence had been committed by the police car. Interestingly, when I tried searching for that article again a couple weeks later, it seemed to have been removed by STOMP.

Make of all this what you will. The only question to answer is this: do you think you'll be as "lucky" as the cop car if you do the same thing?

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic

If you are going straight you must enter the box

and block off any cars turning into the box.

They paint the box to tell cars turning that

cars going straight have right of way.

And if you see a car trying to turn in and

not happy that you are in the box you must

give them the - are you stupid I have the right

of way look. I see this everyday so it must be right.

:D

• Praise 6

Turbocharged

I think if part of the car stopped in the yellow box but the cars from the side road can still exit then no offence. But the best is to just don't go into the yellow box. Just follow the law and also be considerate. There are some small roads that are almost impossible to exit without using the yellow box due to traffic...

Another one is at the junction. I was honked at yesterday cuz I stopped behind the stop line at the junction as traffic is heavy infront. If I move forward, I will have to stop in the middle of the junction. Don't know what the car behind is thinking. Luckily I never move forward or else I will be blocking the cars turning right later on when the light turns red.

He/She is not thinking :D

• Praise 1

Better go back to driving school and re-take theory test again! How you passed your driving in the first place?

• Praise 1

6th Gear

Take a look at the taxi stand at Ikea Alexandra as I ve suggested a yellow box drawn on the Q where human traffic is passable!

When this bus wanted to leave the bus stop, the yellow box would be occupied by your vehicle  (if traffic ahead is still not moving).

Therefore, the bus driver need to understand that your gracious maneuver had caused your vehicle to be in the yellow box.

• Praise 2

Nowadays, dunno how people have passed their Basic Theory, practically no one obeys the yellow junction box anymore, thereby causing further unnecessary congestion on our already congested roads!

just like stop-lines, nobody stops before the stop-lines anymore.

• Praise 3

Many people dunno how yellow box works.... seriously !! 

simple --> 

1. as long as your road bigger, wider than side roads, please prepare to STOP before/outside if you are unable to proceed further. 

2. as long as your road smaller, thinner than main road, please GO INTO yellow box as soon as traffic has come to stand still ....... 

Almost everyday without fail, i will encounter this bunch of company drivers at a junction who will remain in their (smaller) road while i wait behind the yellow box. so yellow box is empty .............. OR they will drive their van all the way outside of the box, thus stopping on the crossing !!!! I came to the conclusion that they think they should not be in the yellow box. They didn't know that the yellow box is for drivers IN THEIR SITUATION  :wacko:

• Praise 4

Supercharged

Quote.

Causing obstruction to vehicles proceeding along road junction

26. Any person who drives or rides, or turns a vehicle or part thereof into a yellow box indicated by yellow lines connecting the 4 corners of —

(a)

a road junction and hatching the junction diagonally, notwithstanding that the light signals controlling the movement of vehicular traffic permit him to do so; or

(b)

an area of road at a road junction or on any part of the road as defined under rule 7(8) of the Road Traffic (Traffic Signs) Rules (R 33), notwithstanding that he has the right of way,

[s 764/2013 wef 20/12/2013]

and by doing so causes obstruction to any other vehicle proceeding to or along that road junction or any part of the road shall be guilty of an offence.

Unquote.

Read the last line.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1