Drone Enthusiasts fall in!

tenyawph

Turbocharged
(edited)

I got a simple drone and tried experimenting with it.  It  flew too fast and almost landed into the river   I had to do crash landings several times.

What are the trainings available in Singapore, for short beginner course to full-license professional drone pilot?

Where do they conduct and how much for the course?   Many thanks sifus.

Edited by Albeniz

Turbocharged

I am currently attending a simple course on flying a drone.

Is it worth the time and effort to take the full course and take the exam for  professional UAPL licence?

15 hours ago, Albeniz said:

I am currently attending a simple course on flying a drone.

Is it worth the time and effort to take the full course and take the exam for  professional UAPL licence?

I am not sure. I am self taught and self learn type. 

Turbocharged
On 6/12/2021 at 8:07 AM, Albeniz said:

I got a simple drone and tried experimenting with it.  It  flew too fast and almost landed into the river   I had to do crash landings several times.

What are the trainings available in Singapore, for short beginner course to full-license professional drone pilot?

Where do they conduct and how much for the course?   Many thanks sifus.

Nowadays off-the-shelf drone come with all the electronic magic onboard.

But us traditional radio control flyers all mainly self-taught - though admittedly this is a tougher route nowadays because of stricter control over airspace, and loss of much of the open spaces that we used to have all around SG.

Long ago before the magic of auto-stabilization and compass/GPS, we assembled and fly drones like helicopters. Learn to hover the heli/drone in the 4 orientations, before proceeding to forward flight and maneuvers [laugh] Old school, and crash a lot!

Now, just press a button, the drone takes off by itself and obediently keeps still at a fixed height. Magic!

• Praise 1

$50-60k fine. Mai play play.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/man-admits-he-unlawfully-flew-drone-causing-2-rsaf-aircraft-to-re-route

Man admits he unlawfully flew drone, causing 2 RSAF aircraft to reroute

Jason Ng Yok Sen pleaded guilty to three charges under the Air Navigation Act linked to the drone. ST PHOTO: KELVIN CHNG

Shaffiq Alkhatib

Court Correspondent

PUBLISHED

12 APR 2022, 6:49 PM SGT

FacebookTwitter

SINGAPORE - A man unlawfully operated a drone in September 2020, causing two Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) aircraft to reroute after an aeroscope at Tengah Air Base detected the device.

There was a risk of a collision and the RSAF also had to impose a 30-minute runway closure.

On Tuesday (April 12), Jason Ng Yok Sen, 43, pleaded guilty to three charges under the Air Navigation Act linked to the drone - an unmanned aircraft (UA). Fourteen other charges will be considered during sentencing.

He bought the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom drone, which weighed about 900g, in late 2018.

He registered the device with the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) on Jan 11, 2020.

Before operating the UA outdoors for a recreation purpose at an altitude exceeding 60m above mean sea level, Ng had to obtain a Class 2 Activity Permit. The court heard that he did not do so.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Chong Ee Hsiun said that if Ng had applied for the permit, CAAS would have required him to use the drone in line with safe operating conditions to ensure the safety of persons, aircraft and properties.

These include obtaining clearance from RSAF before operating the drone to ensure that the device's flights do not interfere with the RSAF's operations.

Instead, he went to Taman Jurong Park on two separate occasions in May 2020 and flew the drone until it reached heights of more than 100m.

On one occasion that lasted for about 30 minutes, the device covered a distance of around 5.6km in the vicinity of Chia Ping, International and Second Chin Bee roads.

On another occasion, Ng operated the drone for about 20 minutes and it covered a distance of around 1.8km in the vicinity of Second Chin Bee Road. It also entered an airspace within 5km of Tengah Air Base's aerodrome.

Ng was at the park at around 7.40pm on Sept 8 that year when he again launched the drone, which reached an altitude of 134m above mean sea level.

He operated the device for about 20 minutes and it covered a distance of 931m in the vicinity of Corporation Road.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Man fined $16,000 after flying drone near Gombak Base multiple times

S'pore branch of China Railway First Group fined $22,000 for flying drone without permit

The court heard his actions that evening endangered RSAF personnel and aircraft.

The DPP said: "The altitude and location of the accused's UA meant that it was directly within the flight path of a Tengah Airbase runway. Two (RSAF) aircraft with a total aircrew of four personnel were scheduled to use that runway for landing within the next hour after the drone was detected by the airbase aeroscope.

"There was a risk of collision, which would have threatened both lives and property. The RSAF had to re-route the two affected aircraft away from the said runway, and impose a 30-minute runway closure due to the accused's actions."

On Tuesday, the DPP asked the court to sentence Ng to a fine of between $53,000 and $63,000, adding that unregulated operation of drones, especially within close proximity of aerodromes, poses serious consequences to aircraft safety.

Defence lawyer Azri Imran Tan from IRB Law pleaded for his client to be given a fine of up to $46,000, adding: "It cannot be ignored that there was no actual injury to persons and/or damage to property or aircraft.

"Jason was a mere drone hobbyist, who while having the intention of flying the drone, had no specific aims or malicious intentions of endangering lives or property, let alone endangering aircraft in flight."

Ng will be sentenced on Thursday.

1 hour ago, Adrianli said:

$50-60k fine. Mai play play.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/man-admits-he-unlawfully-flew-drone-causing-2-rsaf-aircraft-to-re-route

Man admits he unlawfully flew drone, causing 2 RSAF aircraft to reroute

Jason Ng Yok Sen pleaded guilty to three charges under the Air Navigation Act linked to the drone. ST PHOTO: KELVIN CHNG

Shaffiq Alkhatib

Court Correspondent

PUBLISHED

12 APR 2022, 6:49 PM SGT

FacebookTwitter

SINGAPORE - A man unlawfully operated a drone in September 2020, causing two Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) aircraft to reroute after an aeroscope at Tengah Air Base detected the device.

There was a risk of a collision and the RSAF also had to impose a 30-minute runway closure.

On Tuesday (April 12), Jason Ng Yok Sen, 43, pleaded guilty to three charges under the Air Navigation Act linked to the drone - an unmanned aircraft (UA). Fourteen other charges will be considered during sentencing.

He bought the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom drone, which weighed about 900g, in late 2018.

He registered the device with the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) on Jan 11, 2020.

Before operating the UA outdoors for a recreation purpose at an altitude exceeding 60m above mean sea level, Ng had to obtain a Class 2 Activity Permit. The court heard that he did not do so.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Chong Ee Hsiun said that if Ng had applied for the permit, CAAS would have required him to use the drone in line with safe operating conditions to ensure the safety of persons, aircraft and properties.

These include obtaining clearance from RSAF before operating the drone to ensure that the device's flights do not interfere with the RSAF's operations.

Instead, he went to Taman Jurong Park on two separate occasions in May 2020 and flew the drone until it reached heights of more than 100m.

On one occasion that lasted for about 30 minutes, the device covered a distance of around 5.6km in the vicinity of Chia Ping, International and Second Chin Bee roads.

On another occasion, Ng operated the drone for about 20 minutes and it covered a distance of around 1.8km in the vicinity of Second Chin Bee Road. It also entered an airspace within 5km of Tengah Air Base's aerodrome.

Ng was at the park at around 7.40pm on Sept 8 that year when he again launched the drone, which reached an altitude of 134m above mean sea level.

He operated the device for about 20 minutes and it covered a distance of 931m in the vicinity of Corporation Road.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Man fined $16,000 after flying drone near Gombak Base multiple times

S'pore branch of China Railway First Group fined $22,000 for flying drone without permit

The court heard his actions that evening endangered RSAF personnel and aircraft.

The DPP said: "The altitude and location of the accused's UA meant that it was directly within the flight path of a Tengah Airbase runway. Two (RSAF) aircraft with a total aircrew of four personnel were scheduled to use that runway for landing within the next hour after the drone was detected by the airbase aeroscope.

"There was a risk of collision, which would have threatened both lives and property. The RSAF had to re-route the two affected aircraft away from the said runway, and impose a 30-minute runway closure due to the accused's actions."

On Tuesday, the DPP asked the court to sentence Ng to a fine of between $53,000 and $63,000, adding that unregulated operation of drones, especially within close proximity of aerodromes, poses serious consequences to aircraft safety.

Defence lawyer Azri Imran Tan from IRB Law pleaded for his client to be given a fine of up to $46,000, adding: "It cannot be ignored that there was no actual injury to persons and/or damage to property or aircraft.

"Jason was a mere drone hobbyist, who while having the intention of flying the drone, had no specific aims or malicious intentions of endangering lives or property, let alone endangering aircraft in flight."

Ng will be sentenced on Thursday.

Maybe that's the cost of keeping the two Vipers in the sky, additional maintenance and overtime pay for all involved......

Thinking of getting a drone to take pics n vids for my NZ trip.

Zero experience.

Any recommendations for newbies?

Thanks in advance!

ps: sorry for the very brief brief - because I really duno what to ask!

On 4/7/2023 at 11:22 AM, Wildfaye29 said:

Zero experience.

Thanks in advance!

@RadX NZ also got volcano corright? 😁

On 4/7/2023 at 11:36 AM, mersaylee said:

@RadX NZ also got volcano corright? 😁

Iceland la… fly the drone insai 😂

• Haha! 1

Zero experience.

Thanks in advance!

take note of signboards.

some places specifically say no drones.

ive seen pretty bad practices when people fly it in very crowded areas where a collision/accidnet would have caused injuries. 

Also... the last thing people want is while enjoying a view and taking photos... and having drones intruding the view.

• Praise 2

On 4/7/2023 at 11:38 AM, RadX said:

Iceland la… fly the drone insai 😂

You donated it to Iceland...? Or the propellers melted...and kamikaze...?😅

(edited)

Zero experience.

Thanks in advance!

DJI Mini 3 pro. It's everything you need. And at 249g, no registration needed. Bought one last year used in Australia in June and in cold storage since.... 

I ordered on their website direct, so buy early as it may take 2 weeks or so to ship. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged
On 4/7/2023 at 10:22 AM, Wildfaye29 said:

Zero experience.

Thanks in advance!

Bro, go for DJI, easy control and stable. Worth the investment as the price is higher. Less trouble. Choose according to your flying environment. Mavic Mini onwards, the bigger can handle the wind better.........Cheers to join the club

• Praise 2