2017 Toyota Corolla Altis new Facelift

AltisOwner

Current FL Altis at 92k looks like a good deals. Any FL Altis owner can share their experience (pros/cons) of the car?

How's the freebies now for altis?

Last time only give 1 year free service.

If still same, will suggest you get the new model kia cerato or hyundai elantra which is cheaper and give more servicing years.

Not sure for elegance version if head unit has apple carplay support, standard do not have it.

Before others flame me, my current ride is a FL altis and i am driving for one year already.

I still love my ride, just that if can choose of course choose cheaper one with more freebies and servicing.

If still same, will suggest you get the new model kia cerato or hyundai elantra which is cheaper and give more servicing years.

Not sure for elegance version if head unit has apple carplay support, standard do not have it.

Before others flame me, my current ride is a FL altis and i am driving for one year already.

I still love my ride, just that if can choose of course choose cheaper one with more freebies and servicing.

Thanks but looking at Altis civic or city, but need to check to see if any known issues with the car so far....

Then why did you not choose the cheaper one then ? Dont fame me also , i am also having a 9.5 year old pre pre pre facelift Altis, (Good) time deciding what to do next ... my thought in order is elantra, altis and civic. Edited by Ct3833

Kia and Hyundai share mostly same parts and they hard sell their "reliability". But I told them I know best.

I got my previous new Forte 2009 Nov. I used it until Jun 2018 - 8.5 years (160k km).  Spent quite a lot of money after warranty ended especially the last 2 years until I gave up.

- 2 x Windshield cracked (seems initial batches known defect).
(2nd time it happened, CnC refused to even check for me under warranty; when I called, they asked me claim insurance. Luckily my insurance covered.)
- 2 x rack and pinion due to steering giving loud squeaking sound( about 2nd year and 4th year)
- 4th year - bushing change due to suspension giving loud knocking sound
- 7.5th year - ECU faulty causing transmission shift erratically
- 8th year -  aircon compressor
- 8.5th year-  gasket -old leak
- 8.5 th year - alternator

Faults never repaired and gave up on the car before my planned 10 years ussage
- steering giving loud squeaking sound (likely rack and pinion)
- suspension giving loud knocking sound
- Fuel consumption creeping up

Gotten an Altis end Jun 18. For now, I find Altis ride definitely much better- quieter cabin, quieter engine, comfortable suspension, spacious, easier to drive,  good ergonomic, less stressful and less tiring driving long distance.

I understand now why Korean brands never popular at Malaysia while Toyota, Honda is more popular even though more expensive.

So, between cheap and reliability, quality, it's own choice.
  • Praise 3

Kia and Hyundai share mostly same parts and they hard sell their "reliability". But I told them I know best.

I got my previous new Forte 2009 Nov. I used it until Jun 2018 - 8.5 years (160k km). Spent quite a lot of money after warranty ended especially the last 2 years until I gave up.

(2nd time it happened, CnC refused to even check for me under warranty; when I called, they asked me claim insurance. Luckily my insurance covered.)

- 2 x rack and pinion due to steering giving loud squeaking sound( about 2nd year and 4th year)

- 8th year - aircon compressor

- 8.5th year- gasket -old leak

Gotten an Altis end Jun 18. For now, I find Altis ride definitely much better- quieter cabin, quieter engine, comfortable suspension, spacious, easier to drive, good ergonomic, less stressful and less tiring driving long distance.

I understand now why Korean brands never popular at Malaysia while Toyota, Honda is more popular even though more expensive.

I drive a 2009 Avante for 9.5 years now at 140k km. I got a different thought on "hard sell" their reliabilty. Considering the major replacement of the Avante, I got its air-con compressor replaced at its year 6 along with the front shocks and lower A-arms due to one bushing starting to crack. And at its 120k km, replaced the engine cover gasket due to aging and starting to leak engine oil. And the famous steering coupling bushing issue of Avante, was replaced around the same year period. Year 8, replaced the clutching master and slave cylinder (mine's a manual).

Other than that, it is just usual periodic servicing. And it's a good reliable ride for my case. Still quiet and smooth, and reasonable fuel economy at average of 13km/l (on 80% city driving).

Edited by Heartbreakid
  • Praise 1

Then why did you not choose the cheaper one then ? Dont fame me also , i am also having a 9.5 year old pre pre pre facelift Altis, (Good) time deciding what to do next ... my thought in order is elantra, altis and civic.

Haha. That time buy never think so much as last car was also a Toyota and serves me well for 10 years with no major problem.

So can say I buy since it proven its reliability for me.

If me, i will choose civic.

Edited by Wlbwlb

Kia and Hyundai share mostly same parts and they hard sell their "reliability". But I told them I know best.

I got my previous new Forte 2009 Nov. I used it until Jun 2018 - 8.5 years (160k km). Spent quite a lot of money after warranty ended especially the last 2 years until I gave up.

- 8th year - aircon compressor

- 8.5th year- gasket -old leak

Gotten an Altis end Jun 18. For now, I find Altis ride definitely much better- quieter cabin, quieter engine, comfortable suspension, spacious, easier to drive, good ergonomic, less stressful and less tiring driving long distance.

My friend 2009 forte gearbox up lorry on the 8.5 year and he no choice change to the new k3.

He do his servicing regularly, so can only say reliability also must see heng suay one.

Haha. That time buy never think so much as last car was also a Toyota and serves me well for 10 years with no major problem.

So can say I buy since it proven its reliability for me.

If me, i will choose civic.

Civic is in my heart too but my head said i have to pay more for less airbags. The other consideration is its lower platform. Anyway have to make my decision soon. Edited by Ct3833

I drive a 2009 Avante for 9.5 years now at 140k km. I got a different thought on "hard sell" their reliabilty. Considering the major replacement of the Avante, I got its air-con compressor replaced at its year 6 along with the front shocks and lower A-arms due to one bushing starting to crack. And at its 120k km, replaced the engine cover gasket due to aging and starting to leak engine oil. And the famous steering coupling bushing issue of Avante, was replaced around the same year period. Year 8, replaced the clutching master and slave cylinder (mine's a manual).

Other than that, it is just usual periodic servicing. And it's a good reliable ride for my case. Still quiet and smooth, and reasonable fuel economy at average of 13km/l (on 80% city driving).

140kkm already experienced so much issue is far from "reliable".

My expensive issues mostly above 140kkm and up. Most expensive was the ECM ($2k). I still hang on until 160+k km before gave up (parts keep breaking down).

So, quite high probability random parts will turn faulty with those cars, even low millage below 140kkm? Just pure luck it is cheap or expensive parts. Maybe mine heng suay, the expensive ones broke down. 

140kkm already experienced so much issue is far from "reliable".

My expensive issues mostly above 140kkm and up. Most expensive was the ECM ($2k). I still hang on until 160+k km before gave up (parts keep breaking down).

So, quite high probability random parts will turn faulty with those cars, even low millage below 140kkm? Just pure luck it is cheap or expensive parts. Maybe mine heng suay, the expensive ones broke down.

For me is acceptable as I don't think is far from reliable, given the fact that I am doing mostly city driving which is consider as harsh condition with consistent start stop. Other than the air con compressor, mostly wear and tear are mechanical due to condition. So far and hope would not encounter any electronic issues. Edited by Heartbreakid
  • Praise 1

Civic is in my heart too but my head said i have to pay more for less airbags. The other consideration is its lower platform. Anyway have to make my decision soon.

Same thought too. Civic is nicer in and out, newer tech and much appealing design than Altis. However the lower platform is quite a concern to me, the driver seat view is Low and getting in/out of the seats requires some lifts

Kia and Hyundai share mostly same parts and they hard sell their "reliability". But I told them I know best.

I got my previous new Forte 2009 Nov. I used it until Jun 2018 - 8.5 years (160k km).  Spent quite a lot of money after warranty ended especially the last 2 years until I gave up.

- 8th year -  aircon compressor
- 8.5th year-  gasket -old leak

Gotten an Altis end Jun 18. For now, I find Altis ride definitely much better- quieter cabin, quieter engine, comfortable suspension, spacious, easier to drive,  good ergonomic, less stressful and less tiring driving long distance.

These are the common problems in the 2014 to 2018 Kia Cerato Forte K3 too.

- Steering knocking sound

- Headlamps got water vapour inside

- Motrex sound system failure

- Reverse camera failure

- Erratic and jerky gear change after cold start 

If you read in the Kia K3 thread, many K3 owners who used to own Altis swear that K3 road holding, stability and comfort are much much better than Altis.

It's an ego issue - nobody will admit that their own car is lousy

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 1

The Corolla is the car that flies in the face of those who are into mod cons..

No it's not barebones, but it's an affront to those who want auto everything. It has the essentials, and a full suite of passive safety features. 
It lacks the active ones like auto-brake, lane keep and other such gadgets, but even the similarly sized A4 lacks these, even at almost twice the price.

It's engine is spritely enough to keep up with traffic, and yet sips fuels. 

What's there to dislike? Well if you belong in the world which looks at features, then it's definitely not your car. It's not that sporty in it's looks, and for the money you can definitely score many others with all kinds of features. I mean, you can pay 10k less and get a full featured Korean made K3 which has everything it has except it does with two airbags (unless you pay Corolla money). 

You can score a conti Skoda, a turbo charged i30, and many more.

But for the uncles and aunties who want a fuss free car, which does what it says on the box, sans the woes of motoring, is easy to service, sell, and doesn't make you visit the pump station so often, then this could be your car.. but caveat emptor... see what you like, flash, features and all that? Nope..

Will it be in the top ten of the year, yeah, but I suspect barely... this year, there are many alternatives, not least the Elantra, which gets close to it in reliability, and sells for 10k less. Sure, the fit and finish aren't as good, but for the money you pay, you can afford the extra trips to the pump, and spend it on all those mods that make the car even slower. But hey, there's 10k of change to do all kinds of things to it.

The bottom line: it's the car for many who aren't in this forum. Who don't mod, who just want to get in, crank up that motor, and drive, point A to B, never worrying if the car may die somewhere along the way. Enuf said.

• Praise 3

These are the common problems in the 2014 to 2018 Kia Cerato Forte K3 too.

- Steering knocking sound

- Headlamps got water vapour inside

- Motrex sound system failure

- Reverse camera failure

- Erratic and jerky gear change after cold start 

If you read in the Kia K3 thread, many K3 owners who used to own Altis swear that K3 road holding, stability and comfort are much much better than Altis.

It's an ego issue - nobody will admit that their own car is lousy

They likely are right. My previous Forte handling aspect it's no doubt much better than Altis. You feel it  immediately during test drive.

Enjoyed prefer handling when younger. But now prefer comfort and steady ride.

I understand it's a trade off - Handling vs comfort tuned. 

But the main reason was really afraid another surprise expensive part breakdown and compromised safety (like my episode of erratic gear change).

↡ Advertisement