Why was Uni. professor not charge for fraud?

Kezg1

I am still wondering when i read the news about these discovery and $10 millions was used in the research to invent something-successful was a fraud. Those that involved was only asked to leave their jobs. All the while, I thought our gahment was very serious with people cheating them and will be

charge in court and put to jail. Am I missing something here? Any forummers can enlighten me ?  

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

(edited)

bad publicity and damaging the university or research center ... chop chop curry pok case close

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 6

I am still wondering when i read the news about these discovery and $10 millions was used in the research to invent something-successful was a fraud. Those that involved was only asked to leave their jobs. All the while, I thought our gahment was very serious with people cheating them and will be

charge in court and put to jail. Am I missing something here? Any forummers can enlighten me ?  

in future please quote the case or provide link, no head no tail how people going to know?

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/3-spore-based-scientists-linked-to-research-fraud

• Praise 5

bad publicity and damaging the university or research center ... chop chop curry pok case close

I think there was enough bad publicity as it is... In which case, least they could do was make an example of these frauds... which would have been a good publicity for the rule of law.

Wasn't there a recent case of fraudulent research by a South Korean PHD who was charged... in the US I think. Something about cloning or stem cell.

• Praise 1

did they take the money? or giving empty promises of what they are researching that will never be materialized?  but if they have no idea and just talk and do for fun then is cheating.

i guess these investment on research are usually like gambling, no guarantee win one. Out of 10 research if 1 or 2 success is like strike jackpot liao.

in future please quote the case or provide link, no head no tail how people going to know?

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/3-spore-based-scientists-linked-to-research-fraud

sori...thanks mod

did they take the money? or giving empty promises of what they are researching that will never be materialized?  but if they have no idea and just talk and do for fun then is cheating.

i guess these investment on research are usually like gambling, no guarantee win one. Out of 10 research if 1 or 2 success is like strike jackpot liao.

...As in this case, they claimed to have successfully invented and these was being announced..to the many if not the world. In my own opinion..is a v very serious and clear cut case of fraud.

I think there was enough bad publicity as it is... In which case, least they could do was make an example of these frauds... which would have been a good publicity for the rule of law.

Wasn't there a recent case of fraudulent research by a South Korean PHD who was charged... in the US I think. Something about cloning or stem cell.

The South Korean cloning case is not recent. In fact, it's been quite a while. He was shamed when exposed many years ago, after a few years of unprecedented fame.

After the expose, apparently it has been so long that he has since rebuild some of his credibility by doing some real work/results.

Back to the original question, somehow in academia and research, i don't think there's been any case of anyone being charged for fraud. The most is shame and sack on expose. Maybe in a way it might be due to the verification/review process being not good enough to allow the results/papers to be published in the first place, so the ones who approved the papers/presentations maybe also paiseh??

(edited)

The South Korean cloning case is not recent. In fact, it's been quite a while. He was shamed when exposed many years ago, after a few years of unprecedented fame.

After the expose, apparently it has been so long that he has since rebuild some of his credibility by doing some real work/results.

Back to the original question, somehow in academia and research, i don't think there's been any case of anyone being charged for fraud. The most is shame and sack on expose. Maybe in a way it might be due to the verification/review process being not good enough to allow the results/papers to be published in the first place, so the ones who approved the papers/presentations maybe also paiseh??

You're right... the cloning case by the South Korean was in 2005 or something. Yes... he wasn't indicted for that.

But the case I was remembering was this... also a South Korean

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/20/us/ac-alleged-science-fraud-investigation/index.html

Federal prosecutors accuse Korean-born researcher Dr. Dong Pyou-Han of deliberately falsifying key blood research into a possible vaccine for HIV.

An indictment brought against Han says he falsely showed that rabbits infected with the virus had shown remarkable improvement. That improvement was so advanced that the government's National Institutes of Health awarded Iowa State and Han nearly $15 million in federal research grants.

He was sentenced to 57 months in jail and $7m in fine according to wikipedia.

So researchers who deliberately set out to cheat have been charged before. Time to set a precedent here as well.

Edited by ins1dious
  • Praise 1

Am pretty sure all 3 got their pink IC by now?

:ninja:

Like u lor

U from China? Haaaaaaa.... Classic comment bro

Sometimes, they cannot find in their law books. So, if not inside law books, cannot anyhow charge one even if it's questionable.

We are ruled by law; don't be riled by loopholes in the law.

[laugh]  

• Praise 2

Am pretty sure all 3 got their pink IC by now?

:ninja:

One of them got the PhD awarded here revoked, right?

Then it's very possible to revoke the pink IC as well, if they were given already. Pls bring the whole clan back...

• Praise 1

They falsified data from laboratory experiments leh, this to me is a very serious cheating case.

Taxpayers' monies right?

• Praise 1

My great grandparents got theirs when they came from China.... save me the hassle of going to ICA to apply lah :grin:

Like u lor

U from China? Haaaaaaa.... Classic comment bro

Pink IC once given cannot anyhow revoke de, but PR can.

One of them got the PhD awarded here revoked, right?

Then it's very possible to revoke the pink IC as well, if they were given already. Pls bring the whole clan back...

• Praise 1

Pink IC once given cannot anyhow revoke de, but PR can.

But this is serious right? So it's not anyhow anyhow revoke. It's very serious so need to revoke. And all it's likely they brought a whole clan here, who will likely learn to do the same thing too. Better get rid of them.

No need to jail (still need to feed them), just pack them off. If can recover some $$ from the grants, even better.

• Praise 1

(edited)

From what my BIL tells me, the falsified data in the experiments was done by the guy not in SG. The Lokireddy.

This guy, Kambadur, is just the lab head or supervisor.

From what my BIL says, it's likely Kambadur is just the fall guy. 

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1