How to deal with medium to long term pain?

Windwaver

Quite a healthy lifestyle, never over or under weight all my life. Don't drink or smoke and does half marathon runs weekly.

Recently I had a bad issue of upper right back pain (close to spine C7 or T1) and right chest pain (close to Sternum, slightly higher than nipple). Sometimes the pain can extend all the way to the back of my upper right arm and behind the armpit.

Saw 2 doctors, took Xrays of right chest and all just gave me anti inflammatory medicine and muscle rub.

Breathing is painful, deep breaths are even worse. Many times the pain feels worse after waking up from sleep (why is that so?)

Doctors told me it should be cartilage of the ribs and back muscles that are inflamed and overworked.

Took the medicine for 2 months and the medication doesn't seem to work. Occasionally it seems to bring down the pain but it will come right back soon after (even without me exercising).

Have anybody here deal with this type of pain and how did you manage to overcome the problem?

Thanks in advance.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Signs of seniority. Have you submitted your eldershield form or collected pioneer package?

Sounds like modern age symptoms - 低头族。

People catch too much mouse, face too much radiation from the tubes.

Go for good massage without extra/special and see if it helps. It will never cure, but it will help. If possible, try 拉筋。

If not, very soon, you can't even lift up your hands right up.

Edited by Kangadrool

(edited)

Quite a healthy lifestyle, never over or under weight all my life. Don't drink or smoke and does half marathon runs weekly.

Recently I had a bad issue of upper right back pain (close to spine C7 or T1) and right chest pain (close to Sternum, slightly higher than nipple). Sometimes the pain can extend all the way to the back of my upper right arm and behind the armpit.

Saw 2 doctors, took Xrays of right chest and all just gave me anti inflammatory medicine and muscle rub.

Breathing is painful, deep breaths are even worse. Many times the pain feels worse after waking up from sleep (why is that so?)

Doctors told me it should be cartilage of the ribs and back muscles that are inflamed and overworked.

Took the medicine for 2 months and the medication doesn't seem to work. Occasionally it seems to bring down the pain but it will come right back soon after (even without me exercising).

Have anybody here deal with this type of pain and how did you manage to overcome the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Spinal cord nerve issue? Painful nerves...

Sadly for some pain, it can become chronic... My dad for example has pain that comes and goes too. And it has been like that for past 30 years. It first occurred when he was 40.

This is known as painful nerve or compressed nerve.

Cervical radiculopathy, commonly called a "pinched nerve" occurs when a nerve in the neck is compressed or irritated where it branches away from the spinal cord. This may cause pain that radiates into the shoulder, as well as muscle weakness and numbness that travels down the arm and into the hand.

Nerves extend from your brain and spinal cord, sending important messages throughout your body. If you have a pinched nerve (nerve compression) your body may send you warning signals such as pain. Don't ignore these warning signals.

Damage from a pinched nerve may be minor or severe. It may cause temporary or long-lasting problems. The earlier you get a diagnosis and treatment for nerve compression, the more quickly you'll find relief.

In some cases, you can't reverse the damage from a pinched nerve. But treatment usually relieves pain and other symptoms.

Signs of seniority. Have you submitted your eldershield form or collected pioneer package?

Sounds like modern age symptoms - ä½å¤´æã

People catch too much mouse, face too much radiation from the tubes.

Go for good massage without extra/special and see if it helps. It will never cure, but it will help. If possible, try æç­ã

If not, very soon, you can't even lift up your hands right up.

TS may need to seek the help of a neurosurgeon, go for full spine MRI to assess his spine nerves. Sometimes spinal cord surgery may be able to help but ts needs to weigh the pros and cons.

Click on the below for more information from National Neuroscience Institute. The same Institute that operated on Minister Heng. They have the best neurosurgeon in the region.

https://www.nni.com.sg/patients/pt-education-resources/conditions/Pages/spine-peripheral-nerve.aspx

Edited by Ivan_06
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Yup, better to seek second opinion.

OK for therapy or treatment. But, I have reservation on operating spine. That should be the last resort.

My right hand stretching to the back, for the whole of last year was in terrible pain. Can't raise up hand fully and having difficulty in changing/wearing t-shirts. 

Went for many sessions of massage without specials and extras. Told the masseur my problem and got tortured. It helps. I can raise up fully without feeling pain now. Apparently, he has many customers with the same issues. If you spend lotsa of time catching mouse or driving, chances very high.

Riding a vibrating machine like one in my avator also seems to alleviate.

Spinal cord nerve issue? Painful nerves...

Sadly for some pain, it can become chronic... My dad for example has pain that comes and goes too. And it has been like that for past 30 years. It first occurred when he was 40.

This is known as painful nerve or compressed nerve.

Cervical radiculopathy, commonly called a "pinched nerve" occurs when a nerve in the neck is compressed or irritated where it branches away from the spinal cord. This may cause pain that radiates into the shoulder, as well as muscle weakness and numbness that travels down the arm and into the hand.

Nerves extend from your brain and spinal cord, sending important messages throughout your body. If you have a pinched nerve (nerve compression) your body may send you warning signals such as pain. Don't ignore these warning signals.

Damage from a pinched nerve may be minor or severe. It may cause temporary or long-lasting problems. The earlier you get a diagnosis and treatment for nerve compression, the more quickly you'll find relief.

In some cases, you can't reverse the damage from a pinched nerve. But treatment usually relieves pain and other symptoms.
TS may need to seek the help of a neurosurgeon, go for full spine MRI to assess his spine nerves. Sometimes spinal cord surgery may be able to help but ts needs to weigh the pros and cons.

Click on the below for more information from National Neuroscience Institute. The same Institute that operated on Minister Heng. They have the best neurosurgeon in the region.

https://www.nni.com.sg/patients/pt-education-resources/conditions/Pages/spine-peripheral-nerve.aspx

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 3

Thanks in advance.

Just to share my family's experience with sudden chronic back/shoulder aches.

My Aunt suddenly developed constant back pains for 1 continuous month, despite repeated visits to the GP with pain killers etc.

The GP then asked her to go for X-ray on the portion, and there were no signs of inflammation in the specific area, but they detected particles in the lungs, and the prognosis is cancer of the lungs.

Further investigation led to suspected spread to the brain matter, and the cause of the pain is due to the cancer tumours pressing on specific nerve areas linked to the back pain receptors.

She passed on 2 weeks later.

The above is from what I remembered some years back, so it may not be word for word on the condition and development.

Better to find out the root cause with the right doctors, as not all have experienced seemingly unrelated issues, leading to treatment delays.

Thanks in advance.

i kana right back pain and chest area....want to breathe also pain! I tried tying the area with a bandage (very tight) but the pain persist. Painful even when take shallow breath. Finally went to see doctor...did xray doctor say got slight abrasion on the cartilage or something. He told me maybe i injured the area while coughing or exercising. Take med also pain persist. Rest a few days then okay liao. This happened when i was 41....

Cud just B muscle ischemia. However monitir it as cud b early spondy. Then again, depending on which nerve, it shd radiate down shoulder/arms, etc

Early morning as blood flow is challenged so might take a while for muscle fibers to relax.

If inflammation, Costal chondritis?

Yup, better to seek second opinion.

OK for therapy or treatment. But, I have reservation on operating spine. That should be the last resort.

My right hand stretching to the back, for the whole of last year was in terrible pain. Can't raise up hand fully and having difficulty in changing/wearing t-shirts.

Went for many sessions of massage without specials and extras. Told the masseur my problem and got tortured. It helps. I can raise up fully without feeling pain now. Apparently, he has many customers with the same issues. If you spend lotsa of time catching mouse or driving, chances very high.

Riding a vibrating machine like one in my avator also seems to alleviate.

This seems most more like an issue of frozen shoulder, where the muscles of the shoulder sort of get inflamed and "stick" together. Lots of stretching exercise, message helps to slowly release the muscles back to norm.Common for people in the 50s.

Thanks in advance.

I try to refrain from making a diagnosis and management plan online because what we can interpret from the story given is only a small percentage of what is required. It is like looking through a peep hole read a novel.

You seem to have seen 2 doctors and both did xrays of ypur chest and gave you similar treatment. Seem to me you had doctor hopped and that usually is detrimental to your overall progress since everytime you hoped, you have to start the investigation process all over again and the trial of medications might be repeated.

The good news is that with the chest xrays done, you are "unlikely" to have lesions within the lungs or the bony skeleton. Lesions meaning tumours and any space occupying lesions.

Your symptoms seem to suggest a nerve root distribution pattern to it. A pinched nerve root might be the cause of all your suffering. The reason why waking up in the morning, the symptoms are worse, is due to the fact that while sleeping your spinal column are held in a particular position for a long time with all your erectus muscles all relaxed. Put it simply your pinched nerve might have been pinched more through the night without you realizing it until you wake up.

The diagnosis might be easy with just a cervical/thoracic spine mri (no need to waste money on a full spine mri unless you got money to burn), but treatment options might not be as easy.

Usually non surgical options of physio therapy combined with antiinflammatory might help alleviate early disease. Part of the aim of physio is also to train and strengthen plus correct your posture so that the nerve pressure is relieved.

Ultimately if the non surgical method do not work, then surgical options should be considered especially when the disease has progressed beyond just pain. Numbness, muscular weakness etc...

Get yourself referred to an orthopaedic surgeon with special interest in spine (or spine surgeon as they are also called).

Hope you can sort out your problem soon. Cheers!

• Praise 3

You seem to have seen 2 doctors and both did xrays of ypur chest and gave you similar treatment. Seem to me you had doctor hopped and that usually is detrimental to your overall progress since everytime you hoped, you have to start the investigation process all over again and the trial of medications might be repeated.

The good news is that with the chest xrays done, you are "unlikely" to have lesions within the lungs or the bony skeleton. Lesions meaning tumours and any space occupying lesions.

Your symptoms seem to suggest a nerve root distribution pattern to it. A pinched nerve root might be the cause of all your suffering. The reason why waking up in the morning, the symptoms are worse, is due to the fact that while sleeping your spinal column are held in a particular position for a long time with all your erectus muscles all relaxed. Put it simply your pinched nerve might have been pinched more through the night without you realizing it until you wake up.

The diagnosis might be easy with just a cervical/thoracic spine mri (no need to waste money on a full spine mri unless you got money to burn), but treatment options might not be as easy.

So far, Xrays turned out fine and Diclofenac doesn't seem to have a great effect. However, Orphenadrine (e.g. Anarex, Suniton) appears to be more effective.

There were 2 or 3 occasions where the pain was pretty severe that I literally went nuts exercising [laugh] . I went on interval training where I kept 80% of my maximum heart rate for a good 10 mins each rep. I can feel my lungs expanding to their maximum and my heart racing for blood. Ironically, that seem to alleviate the problem (no more pain on the upper right back), slight pain on the right chest with normal breathing (Costochondritis?).

At first I suspect Fibromyalgia or Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) that ended up in the right lung. Fibromyalgia because I  may have a heightened pain response to pressure because I am hyper active since young.

With all the above observations, what can be deduce from it? Will an Xray catch DVT?

So far, Xrays turned out fine and Diclofenac doesn't seem to have a great effect. However, Orphenadrine (e.g. Anarex, Suniton) appears to be more effective.

There were 2 or 3 occasions where the pain was pretty severe that I literally went nuts exercising [laugh] . I went on interval training where I kept 80% of my maximum heart rate for a good 10 mins each rep. I can feel my lungs expanding to their maximum and my heart racing for blood. Ironically, that seem to alleviate the problem (no more pain on the upper right back), slight pain on the right chest with normal breathing (Costochondritis?).

At first I suspect Fibromyalgia or Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) that ended up in the right lung. Fibromyalgia because I  may have a heightened pain response to pressure because I am hyper active since young.

With all the above observations, what can be deduce from it? Will an Xray catch DVT?

if you have a pulmonary embolism, u would be breathless even at rest. Unlikely u can still do your interval training  [laugh]

Just to add, I may have a mild case of herniated disk on my lower back (along the same level as my waist). Think I got this from NS as I was a combat soldier and my vocation requires lifting of heavy loads at time.

Since it's so far down, I wonder if that will contribute to the overall problem I am facing.

if you have a pulmonary embolism, u would be breathless even at rest. Unlikely u can still do your interval training  [laugh]

Thanks, so unlikely DVT  ^_^ .

There were occasions where my throat is irritated and I started coughing but it usually goes away the next day. Might be a coincidence or may be some kind of symptom because of my prolonged chest pain (reflux?).

(edited)

err u linking more and more things together.

I think keep a curb on your imagination/over thinking things.

Edited by Lala81

So far, Xrays turned out fine and Diclofenac doesn't seem to have a great effect. However, Orphenadrine (e.g. Anarex, Suniton) appears to be more effective.

There were 2 or 3 occasions where the pain was pretty severe that I literally went nuts exercising [laugh] . I went on interval training where I kept 80% of my maximum heart rate for a good 10 mins each rep. I can feel my lungs expanding to their maximum and my heart racing for blood. Ironically, that seem to alleviate the problem (no more pain on the upper right back), slight pain on the right chest with normal breathing (Costochondritis?).

At first I suspect Fibromyalgia or Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) that ended up in the right lung. Fibromyalgia because I may have a heightened pain response to pressure because I am hyper active since young.

Just a few pointers. You seem to have been googling and that can be a double edged sword. The list of probable diagnosis is long. Every symptom listed can appear to resonate with you and as you are the one suffering..very hard for you to remain objective.. More so when you do not know how to weigh the possibility of the diagnosis as well as to put all symptoms into a coherent diagnosis.

To answer you question if xray can catch DVT, my layman answer to you is no. @Radx can fill you in of the technicalities and rare occasion that a a chest xray might pick up a massive pulmonary embolism.

In summary, reading up on your condition is good, but do not get carried away. you need a professional to guide you along to help you assimilate what you had found out. That is the role of a good gp or the spine surgeon we have mentioned previously.

• Praise 2

Just a few pointers. You seem to have been googling and that can be a double edged sword. The list of probable diagnosis is long. Every symptom listed can appear to resonate with you and as you are the one suffering..very hard for you to remain objective.. More so when you do not know how to weigh the possibility of the diagnosis as well as to put all symptoms into a coherent diagnosis.

To answer you question if xray can catch DVT, my layman answer to you is no. @Radx can fill you in of the technicalities and rare occasion that a a chest xray might pick up a massive pulmonary embolism.

In summary, reading up on your condition is good, but do not get carried away. you need a professional to guide you along to help you assimilate what you had found out. That is the role of a good gp or the spine surgeon we have mentioned previously.

Yup, I think the spine surgeon (cervical/thoracic spine MRI) is something I will go for but why would strenuous exercise alleviate the problem? Both doctors actually advised me not to exercise  [confused] .

Why Diclofenac doesn't seem to have a great effect but Orphenadrine (e.g. Anarex, Suniton) appears to be more effective?

↡ Advertisement