Resigning and using leave to offset notice period

Doppel

lol

sorry to indicate..if its base on resignation wise..

coz i feel if ownself or force to clear leave for notice period ..very bo hua

30-40 days can be achievable ma

this year 21 days,bring over to next year 22 days, by Oct resign..

2+2 months pay LOL

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

It's not unfair la. Think of it as you paying off your notice period.

Like that I will confirm work until end of notice. Take the salary for the notice period, and another lump sum pay in lieu for the A/L....

• Praise 7

(edited)

Can I hijack this thread for a short while?

35 yr old male

Need some comments...

Current company (MNC)

- low pay (not saving much, very thrifty already)

- work load is low

- boss is very good to me (work for 10 years already)

- company future not bright (Singapore office losing money)

Potentially new company (MNC)

- higher pay (20%)

- work load sure higher

- boss unknown (but is from India)

- company future ok

How would you decide?

Where you want to go and do should be driven by your needs and wants

can be financial, emotional, physical etc....

Just weigh the importance.

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 1

lol

sorry to indicate..if its base on resignation wise..

coz i feel if ownself or force to clear leave for notice period ..very bo hua

30-40 days can be achievable ma

this year 21 days,bring over to next year 22 days, by Oct resign..

2+2 months pay LOL

can do, just piss your boss so hard that he terminate you with immediate effect and pay you 2+2 :D
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

Like that I will confirm work until end of notice. Take the salary for the notice period, and another lump sum pay in lieu for the A/L....

Most people would do that and not pay off notice period unless:

1. Same situation as TS

2. New company needs someone desperately and are paying off the notice period (encountered before)

3. New company is paying you more than what your leave and 1 month salary is worth.

• Praise 2

(edited)

Some years ago when i was still working, i had a subordinate.

I took him in, up his basic salary by 35% and showed him 100% of the ropes.

When he was falling, i supported him with my own tables to keep him alive in the foodcourt.

But unfortunately, this person is very political and very uncontented and green eyed.n

Wanted a lot more. So within 2 yrs, he moved to another foodcourt but within a few mths started the same pattern in the new foodcourt. Of course, was told to leave.... Hai.z....

So the moral of the story is, dont think that every Boss is professional, caring and supportive.

Mosttimes that is more important than a few thousand dollars

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 3

Supersonic

35 yr old male

Need some comments...

Current company (MNC)

- work load is low

- higher pay (20%)

- work load sure higher

- company future ok

How would you decide?

You sure this is your profile and you are almost living hand to mouth?

Wasn't it just a while ago that you were considering a landed property?

You sure this is your profile and you are almost living hand to mouth?

Wasn't it just a while ago that you were considering a landed property?

If that is his profile and he was considering landed property, it can only mean that he ASK loh.....

Muayhahaha

• Praise 1

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Under MOM's rules, I can use my leave to offset the notice period:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practices/termination-of-employment/termination-with-notice

I understand the rationale of keeping the relationship, not burning any bridges etc..

Without giving too many details, let's just say I won't go back to work for my current company again after I leave and there is no way my current manager may become my boss again in another company.

I have worked for this company for many years and in the past two years under this new manager hasn't been the best of times.

And I could imagine he would probably not be very cordial during my notice period and this would further aggravate the already tense relationship.

I don't wish to subject myself to further abuse and humiliation, hence the plan.

Update HR about your decision and seek their opinion. As for your boss, I think it's better to leave ASAP in case the relationship turns even worse (I have seen colleagues threaten to sue each other).

• Praise 1

i dun encourage HR to call ex-company to check on a new employee, for some rank and file maybe ask about performance but not executive level n above. We never know how petty some manager can be for staff to leave them and can also talk bad about them, not necessary always the employee's fault.

and for the hiring manager who assess the new staff and decide to hire him, it is unfair to judge the candidate just by another person's words.

i ever received a call from the company asking about my ex staff, you never know.

my ex staff didnt burn the bridges so i supported her  [thumbsup]

later bro enye going to suan lausai :grin:  

• Praise 4

actually yours wasn't a very bad situation. big boss on your side

since the big boss know that she is emo, unstable and unreasonable, there is no way you can get sacked.

even if you get appraised poorly, you can reach out to the big boss for a fairer appraisal.

It was bad because we cannot expect Big Boss to intervene every time Female Boss acts up, which was a weekly kind of thing. And the Big Boss was also too weak to right the wrongs that she did, she was well known to go to war with everyone who opposed her. Once during a thrash out session with me, she was rude to Big Boss with me witnessing, the Big Boss though angry did not stop her. And my appraisals and promotion did suffer as a result, because even the Big Boss will give in to her. I was promoted shortly after I changed unit.

From that episode, I learnt that 'what doesn't kill you, will make you stronger'.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

i ever received a call from the company asking about my ex staff, you never know.

my ex staff didnt burn the bridges so i supported her [thumbsup]

later bro enye going to suan lausai :grin:

you high flyer big boss leh

I kah kia never had any subordinate

不敢不敢

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Thats unfair! If you offset your leave using AL, they should still pay you for the notice period!

Bro,

Those are the rules.

You wanna play, gotta go by them.

• Praise 1

Bro,

Those are the rules.

30 days confirmed by HR? Cause offset means your last day brought forward.. So might end up with 29 days only..

If u offset 1 mth means you using ur leave to cancel out your contractual obligation.. So they wont pay you.

Best is they allow u to take 30days of leave so that the last day conicide with ur leave.

• Praise 1

Bro,

Those are the rules.

For me, I ever "offset" my leave by taking balance leave. No issue, lI took 10 days of leave during my notice period, to offset 1/2 month worth of notice, I got full month salary paid for the notice period.

Anyway, If thats the case, bro, just serve the notice. I dont think its worth to offset the leave under such unfair terms. Just things easy during this period and fulfil the contract. Just make sure that your handover was done properly, summarised all the handing over via email and cc copy to your private email to cover your arse...

• Praise 11

u think you are covered under MOM employment act ah?

basically, please look at the terms in your employment contract.

Suggestion as per other bro here, handle this professionally, u never know how it will come back and hunt u.

I think he means this one lah: http://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practices/termination-of-employment/termination-without-notice

A bit like immediate quit.

yeah, but bear in mind that its not a entitlement or a right. It is only a practice in the workforce. Not a mandatory law.

Its still up to HR and your boss to decide on it. They can come up with "valid sounding" reasons not to approve it. 

That's why we have been saying to you, not to burn bridges and be nice cordial. At this stage, you need them more (for approval to offset leave) than they need you.  

Aiya, come on.  don't you need the money from encashing your leave?  you can just submit resignation letter, serve one month notice, and just lie low during the notice period.  Whatever the boss tell you, u just simply nod yr head, wayang abit, give the minimum info to whatever your boss is asking you to do.  a month will pass by very fast one. 

and its actually not one full month hor.  its only 22 working days. if got public holiday, its even lesser.  time will fly.  And if you want to chao geng, take MC here and there. for few days.  effectively, your working days could be 10+ only.

you got kids?  got childcare leave?  

There are many ways to skin a cat.  

Actually I just read the link and saw this.

Ya it's just a guideline, not mandatory. Ultimately it's up to the company whether they want to let you do what you wanna do.

Honestly one month really passes very fast. Don't sweat the small stuff.

35 yr old male

Need some comments...

Current company (MNC)

- work load is low

- higher pay (20%)

- work load sure higher

- company future ok

How would you decide?

For this I say, whatever you feel makes you happy.

Is the higher pay commensurate with the potential higher workload, in your opinion? How much do you value your relationship with your boss? Do you see the companies' futures aligned with your own future? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1