Advise needed - damage to car in condo

Quickfusion

Sorry but I have to call BS on some of the things you say - highlighted in red.

What you want is to be compensated for wrongful damage to your car, fact that you had parked for free in the condominium notwithstanding. Dragging in other possibilities/outcomes to serve your agenda doesn't look good at all. Don't make yourself out to be so noble and trying to keep things safe for everyone - I mean, would you give two hoots about the falling lightning fixture if your car hadn't been damaged?

Just tackle the situation based on the facts of the matter. Good luck.

Thanks for your contribution.

Yes, I want to be compensated for the wrongful damage but the fact is I don't park there for free, I pay a monthly maintenance fee which includes the use of car park.

And yes, I give 2 hoots even if my car was not damaged FYI but I agree that maybe I should not bring in other possibility. But honestly safety is a huge concern of mine.

Bro, similar thing happen to me at HDB carpark...

Barrier fell on my car... badly dented.

I sent complaint to

1) HDB

2) Carpark operator/ contractor

3) Straits Times Forum.

And told them i got video footage and failure to hear from them in 1 week, will put footage online and seek legal advice.

3 days problem settled.

Thanks!
↡ Advertisement

Thanks for your contribution.

Yes, I want to be compensated for the wrongful damage but the fact is I don't park there for free, I pay a monthly maintenance fee which includes the use of car park.

And yes, I give 2 hoots even if my car was not damaged FYI but I agree that maybe I should not bring in other possibility. But honestly safety is a huge concern of mine.

Thanks!

I was under the impression that you were visiting the condo. Apologies are in order, and a lot of what I said wouldn't apply because:

#1 in paying fees you are entitled to a parking lot that is reasonably safe.

#2 In being at the condominium regularly/daily, personal safety *is* then an issue.

If you are forced to take this on by yourself, you can demand the insurer to show proof that the lights were inspected and maintained regularly and even how those inspections were carried out (not just light bulb on or not, but also if the fixtures were secure), in order to substantiate that the lights were properly maintained which results in you having no case.

As I said, my apologies for jumping to conclusions.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

Hi All,

Like to check with you guys.

Should you park your car in a condo car park and a light drops from the ceiling and damages the car, the condo management should be responsible and compensate for damages right?

Initially the condo management said they would compensate and then proceeded to make claim with their insurer.

But here is the twist, insurer contacted me saying that the condo management has done their due diligence to do regular checks to make sure the light fittings are all in good condition and so the condo management nor the insurance company is not liable.

This makes totally no sense to me. Can anyone advise on this please?

Thanks!

No, the condo management ( MA)  is not held responsible . The MA may facilitate to help you make claims from insurance , for which they have done , but if the insurers deny liability , there is nothing that the MA can do .

The MA is not obliged to pay you from their own pocket . 

Common areas are collectively owned by the residents , not the MA. The residents engage a MA to run the condo for them . In the event that the MA decides to compensate you , it will be from the condos sinking fund and not the MA's own company fund. And, the MA cannot make these decisions unilaterally as approval has to be obtained from the Residents Committee. 

In other words , the light that falls  on your car belongs to the residents , and if compensation is made out it will be from the sinking fund which also belongs to the residents , and this approval has to be obtained from the Residents Committee , which are made up of residents . 

Ownself ask ownself whether can pay ownself with ownself money . 

Edited by F355

I was under the impression that you were visiting the condo. Apologies are in order, and a lot of what I said wouldn't apply because:

#1 in paying fees you are entitled to a parking lot that is reasonably safe.

#2 In being at the condominium regularly/daily, personal safety *is* then an issue.

If you are forced to take this on by yourself, you can demand the insurer to show proof that the lights were inspected and maintained regularly and even how those inspections were carried out (not just light bulb on or not, but also if the fixtures were secure), in order to substantiate that the lights were properly maintained which results in you having no case.

As I said, my apologies for jumping to conclusions.

No prob Bro and thanks for the suggestions and feedback.

Also the light dropped on my car was just the first incident that I know. Few months later another light dropped but I dunno if it hit anything.

No, the condo management ( MA) is not held responsible . The MA may facilitate to help you make claims from insurance , for which they have done , but if the insurers deny liability , there is nothing that the MA can do .

The MA is not obliged to pay you from their own pocket .

Common areas are collectively owned by the residents , not the MA. The residents engage a MA to run the condo for them . In the event that the MA decides to compensate you , it will be from the condos sinking fund and not the MA's own company fund. And, the MA cannot make these decisions unilaterally as approval has to be obtained from the Residents Committee.

In other words , the light that falls on your car belongs to the residents , and if compensation is made out it will be from the sinking fund which also belongs to the residents , and this approval has to be obtained from the Residents Committee , which are made up of residents .

Ownself ask ownself whether can pay ownself with ownself money .

Well... Makes sense. So is there a way in your opinion or is it a suck thumb situation?

Turbocharged

Well... Makes sense. So is there a way in your opinion or is it a suck thumb situation?

I would say more or less LLST already la . If damage is minor , just forget it and move on. There are more important things in life to attend to . 

If damage is major , first choice  is claim condo insurance , if that is not sucessful , claim own insurance . 

I would say more or less LLST already la . If damage is minor , just forget it and move on. There are more important things in life to attend to .

If damage is major , first choice is claim condo insurance , if that is not sucessful , claim own insurance .

Ok. Agree there is better things to do in life than get hung up on shit like this.

But now as I walk around the car park I can see lights that potentially could fall off, those lights are a huge hazard. Altogether there is already 3 lights missing, 2 is drop off and 1 I dunno how it got missing. Something has to be done.

Last time branch fall on our car, Nparks asked if we got keep the branch to show them or not what the @!#@!#?

Then they say because I don't have the branch cannot prove its due to the negligence (during the pruning)

Lesson learn, touch wood if happen again lug the branch into the car

The insurer person who contacted u must had worked for NParks before
Last year my colleague's car got hit by fallen tree branch. That was the same reason given...
Done their regular pruning n checks bla bla..........not liable"
My colleague LL such thumb settled own repairs

• Praise 3

Ok. Agree there is better things to do in life than get hung up on shit like this.

But now as I walk around the car park I can see lights that potentially could fall off, those lights are a huge hazard. Altogether there is already 3 lights missing, 2 is drop off and 1 I dunno how it got missing. Something has to be done.

As owner, why nvr grill MA?

MA everything just throw to insurer which is not right... Sigh...

Why nvr grill MA for lights dropping since you are so worry about it

Why nvr grill MA for lights dropping since you are so worry about it

I am grilling, but all MA is doing is waiting for insurer to reply and insurer does reply.

I am grilling, but all MA is doing is waiting for insurer to reply and insurer does reply.

Since you are worry about safety, did you grill them on safety issue????

Last time branch fall on our car, Nparks asked if we got keep the branch to show them or not what the @!#@!#?

Then they say because I don't have the branch cannot prove its due to the negligence (during the pruning)

Then NParks will say that you have contaminated alleged evidence by moving it or NParks is unable to verify that this is the branch that bashed your head in.  Please see Clause #1: You LLST. [laugh]

• Praise 1

There is the BMSMA Act that govern strata living in Singapore.

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/aol/search/display/view.w3p;page=0;query=DocId%3A%22d5027d68-dd92-4311-a3bf-07692781cb44%22%20Status%3Ainforce%20Depth%3A0;rec=0

MC and MA are always protected. How often do SP win in legal cases against the MA and MC ?

You can go kpkb and raise a motion in the next AGM. I would say dont waste time as all the MC members are likely to be in cahoots with each other. Most MC members are in the committee for their personal gains.

Bro, similar thing happen to me at HDB carpark...

Barrier fell on my car... badly dented.

I sent complaint to

1) HDB

2) Carpark operator/ contractor

3) Straits Times Forum.

And told them i got video footage and failure to hear from them in 1 week, will put footage online and seek legal advice.

3 days problem settled.

At the end , which one paid you ? Hdb or carpark operator or town council Edited by Angcheek
  • Praise 1

wah lao..like that they also can say? but i think even if can show the branch, it will be very long process.......and result is same... [lipsrsealed]

My colleague has video to show them the tree branches fell...he spoke with insurance, and Npark..took him some time and lotsa chasing...still....in the end insurance told him 

ownself claim ownself (wont affect NCD and he will lose the excess)

we gotta pray hard tree dont fall on us

but on the other hand we langga the tree.............................no nid say more

:a-bang:

Edited by Sunny

MA employees like to siam extra work for themselves as they still get paid regardless. Go and inform your MC Chairman or council members about the car park safety issue. They are the ones who appoint the MA, so the MA listens to them when things need to be done.

If still nothing happens, then volunteer to be in the MC. At MC meeting, can tekan the MA about no action being taken on residents feedback. If yours is an ageing or big to medium condo, trust me, there are hundreds of other issues that need addressing. These are not usually known to the general residents.  

↡ Advertisement