Cops mistake icing from Krispy Kreme for crystal meth

Porker

Turbocharged

Daniel Rushing probably won’t be eating Krispy Kreme doughnuts in his car any more.

The 64-year-old was arrested on drug charges when Orlando police officers spotted four tiny flakes of glaze on his floorboard and thought they were pieces of crystal methamphetamine, The Orlando Sentinel reports.

Cpl. Shelby Riggs-Hopkins wrote in an arrest report that during a traffic stop on 11 December she noticed the flakes on the floorboard. Two roadside drug tests were positive for the illegal substance and Rushing was arrested. But a state crime laboratory test cleared him several weeks later.

“It was incredible,” Rushing said. “It feels scary when you haven’t done anything wrong and get arrested ... It’s just a terrible feeling.”

It started on a Friday afternoon when Rushing dropped off a neighbor at a hospital for a weekly chemotherapy session. Then, he drove to a convenience store to pick up a friend who needed a ride home.

Riggs-Hopkins said she was staking out the area for drug activity. Rushing told her he had a concealed weapons permit, according to an arrest report. She asked him to step out of his car and noticed a “rock like substance” on the floorboard.

“I recognized through my eleven years of training and experience as a law enforcement officer the substance to be some sort of narcotic,” she wrote.

Rushing agreed to a vehicle search. “I didn’t have anything to hide,” he said. “I’ll never let anyone search my car again.”

Riggs-Hopkins and other officers spotted three other pieces of the substance.

“I kept telling them, ‘That’s ... glaze from a doughnut,” Rushing said.

He was charged with possession of methamphetamine with a firearm and spent 10 hours in jail before being released on bond.

The Florida’s law enforcement department told the newspaper that an analyst in its Orlando crime lab did not try to identify what police found in the car, only to determine whether it was an illegal drug. They determined it was not and three days after Rushing’s arrest the state attorney’s office dropped the charges.

Rushing, who retired after 25 years as an Orlando parks department employee, told the newspaper he had hired a lawyer and plans to sue the city because he was arrested “for no reason at all”.

Orlando police said in a statement that the arrest was lawful.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Daniel Rushing probably wonât be eating Krispy Kreme doughnuts in his car any more.

The 64-year-old was arrested on drug charges when Orlando police officers spotted four tiny flakes of glaze on his floorboard and thought they were pieces of crystal methamphetamine, The Orlando Sentinel reports.

Cpl. Shelby Riggs-Hopkins wrote in an arrest report that during a traffic stop on 11 December she noticed the flakes on the floorboard. Two roadside drug tests were positive for the illegal substance and Rushing was arrested. But a state crime laboratory test cleared him several weeks later.

âIt was incredible,â Rushing said. âIt feels scary when you havenât done anything wrong and get arrested ... Itâs just a terrible feeling.â

900.jpg?w=460&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fi

Chelsea Manning faces solitary confinement and charges after suicide attempt

Read more

It started on a Friday afternoon when Rushing dropped off a neighbor at a hospital for a weekly chemotherapy session. Then, he drove to a convenience store to pick up a friend who needed a ride home.

Riggs-Hopkins said she was staking out the area for drug activity. Rushing told her he had a concealed weapons permit, according to an arrest report. She asked him to step out of his car and noticed a ârock like substanceâ on the floorboard.

âI recognized through my eleven years of training and experience as a law enforcement officer the substance to be some sort of narcotic,â she wrote.

Rushing agreed to a vehicle search. âI didnât have anything to hide,â he said. âIâll never let anyone search my car again.â

Riggs-Hopkins and other officers spotted three other pieces of the substance.

âI kept telling them, âThatâs ... glaze from a doughnut,â Rushing said.

He was charged with possession of methamphetamine with a firearm and spent 10 hours in jail before being released on bond.

The Floridaâs law enforcement department told the newspaper that an analyst in its Orlando crime lab did not try to identify what police found in the car, only to determine whether it was an illegal drug. They determined it was not and three days after Rushingâs arrest the state attorneyâs office dropped the charges.

Rushing, who retired after 25 years as an Orlando parks department employee, told the newspaper he had hired a lawyer and plans to sue the city because he was arrested âfor no reason at allâ.

Orlando police said in a statement that the arrest was lawful.

In mcf, people will think it is siao on the dashboard :XD:

Don't see anything wrong. 

The officer had a suspicion and acted upon it. Lol don't bust a dealer also want to bust a user.

Turbocharged

Don't see anything wrong. 

The officer had a suspicion and acted upon it. Lol don't bust a dealer also want to bust a user.

Was it ok that they charged him without evidence?

This is very surprising. Considering that most American cops are world authorities on donuts. :D

In other news, Obama has release hundreds of non violent drug offenders. It's like night and day comparing SG and America in some respects.

Edited by Turboflat4

Was it ok that they charged him without evidence?

I'm no lawyer, neither do I understand their law process.

But at that point in time, they still suspected him for possession.

So it's easier to charge someone then drop the charges if the evidence doesn't corroborate rather than the other way round?

Preliminary charging?

This is very surprising. Considering that most American cops are world authorities on donuts. :D

In other news, Obama has release hundreds of non violent drug offenders. It's like night and day comparing SG and America in some respects.

Their prisons too full lol.

Yeah the cops part is quite ironic consider it's donut frosting

Turbocharged

I'm no lawyer, neither do I understand their law process.

But at that point in time, they still suspected him for possession.

So it's easier to charge someone then drop the charges if the evidence doesn't corroborate rather than the other way round?

Preliminary charging?

You don't need to be a lawyer to know that that kinda process can be subject to abuse by law enforcement. And isn't it easier to charge someone if evidence is present?

Can't believe how I used to eat Krispy Kreme. It's literally diabetes in a mouthful ha

You don't need to be a lawyer to know that that kinda process can be subject to abuse by law enforcement. And isn't it easier to charge someone if evidence is present?

it's a loophole or flaw. But guess drug possession suspects arent going to be the advocates or bastion of changing police procedure.

But i don't think stick a knife in and licking the crystal meth or donut frosting is considered evidence. So even if u bag the fella with ten kilos of coke. U still have to wait for lab evidence. Haha

Turbocharged

it's a loophole or flaw. But guess drug possession suspects arent going to be the advocates or bastion of changing police procedure.

But i don't think stick a knife in and licking the crystal meth or donut frosting is considered evidence. So even if u bag the fella with ten kilos of coke. U still have to wait for lab evidence. Haha

It's not a loophole. It's just common human decency and courtesy the way I see it.

If you wanna accuse someone of stealing your bagel then you better f*cking produce evidence before concluding that he is the thief. If not this world will descend into anarchy  :D

Turbocharged

My principle stays, " No food and sweet drinks in the car". In fact it is "no eating and drinking in the bedroom" too...LOL 

• Praise 1

My principle stays, " No food and sweet drinks in the car". In fact it is "no eating and drinking in the bedroom" too...LOL

Life has no meaning if I can't eat in bedroom

• Praise 1

I have those exact rules for my kids but my wife is always the one who bend the rules...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1