Tips on Cruise to Penang

Shouyi

Hi MCFers,

I am talking a cruise to penang and has about 5 hours in George Town. Wondering what are the places to go within this time frame.

I have in mind Kek Lok Si temple, Chew Jetty, Fort Cornwallis and Penang street art. Is this overly ambitious ? 

And I would appreciate if you could advise the taxi charges. I heard can book them for a few hours on a fixed rate...

↡ Advertisement

Hi MCFers,

I am talking a cruise to penang and has about 5 hours in George Town. Wondering what are the places to go within this time frame.

I have in mind Kek Lok Si temple, Chew Jetty, Fort Cornwallis and Penang street art. Is this overly ambitious ? 

And I would appreciate if you could advise the taxi charges. I heard can book them for a few hours on a fixed rate...

Thought there are packages available in the cruise that you can sign up for to tour in Penang ...

Maybe can check them out or give the cruise company a call :)

I went there 2 yr ago on a Royal Caribbean cruise. The stop was more than 5 hr though. Docked around 8 am, like the rest of the stops, and set sail late afternoon, around 4/5 pm. It was enough time for us to roam around one of its busier market areas, go to the famous (can't remember the name) temple, bought some biscuits and local products at a store famous for it, plus have lunch at a big hawker centre, before passing by the street art area en-route back to the jetty.

But sorry i left it to my wife and my bro-in-law (who brought his family along too) to plan it so can't remember the name of the places. We hailed 2 cabs at the jetty. There are many drivers waiting at the area once you come out, and they will tout for business. Again, i didn't nego the rates, but they were with us from start till end.

Oh, at the jetty, even on the ship, can see lots of big jellyfish in the water...

• Praise 1

Thought there are packages available in the cruise that you can sign up for to tour in Penang ...

Maybe can check them out or give the cruise company a call :)

About those package tours, if you're going in a group of 4 or more, it's far cheaper to get a cab to go on your own. Can borrow the ideas from the cruise's packages, and then negotiate with the cab driver to bring you there and back.

I know in Phuket, where we arranged for a van to bring 8 of us (plus a toddler) around the whole day, it cost us about S$150. Got to know a Chinese couple residing in Canada on the cruise, and they said they signed up for one package for that day and it was i think about US$200 each.

Hi MCFers,

going to Kek Lok Si will take some time unless you only visit the temple and not other places. Otherwise the limited time is good for makan of the famous street food, the art street, and a few temples/houses in George Town.

Agree that Kek Lok Si temple if walk from bottom to the top will take 3-4 hours. You can skip the bottom temples and straight drive to the top and just see the goddess of mercy and the view of Penang. Just make sure the cab u take is powerful enough to drive to the top. The top part, the road is pretty steep.

From my road trip : http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2682751-sg-ipoh-penang-kl-sg-road-trip-20th-to-24th-sep-2012/?p=5171781

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2682751-sg-ipoh-penang-kl-sg-road-trip-20th-to-24th-sep-2012/?p=4614240

I don't go for a package 3 yrs ago. I just go down stroll nearby. Their little india is in walking distance

I go for a quick walk bout 2 hrs including makan n some shopping before go back ship

Afterall i paid for the cruise so better stay inside longer lol

#kiasunism

Thanks to all for the useful tips.

There will be a total of 4 adults and one toddler going for the cruise. So I guess it is better to catch a taxi for say 5 hours. Does anyone knows the taxi charges ? Want to have a feel so that I know how much to negotiate. Thanks!

I went there 2 yr ago on a Royal Caribbean cruise. The stop was more than 5 hr though. Docked around 8 am, like the rest of the stops, and set sail late afternoon, around 4/5 pm. It was enough time for us to roam around one of its busier market areas, go to the famous (can't remember the name) temple, bought some biscuits and local products at a store famous for it, plus have lunch at a big hawker centre, before passing by the street art area en-route back to the jetty.

But sorry i left it to my wife and my bro-in-law (who brought his family along too) to plan it so can't remember the name of the places. We hailed 2 cabs at the jetty. There are many drivers waiting at the area once you come out, and they will tout for business. Again, i didn't nego the rates, but they were with us from start till end.

Oh, at the jetty, even on the ship, can see lots of big jellyfish in the water...

Take, look, see temple.

Not to be confused with the snake temple.

That one just look and see only better not take.

:D

• Praise 1

Take, look, see temple.

Not to be confused with the snake temple.

That one just look and see only better not take.

:D

ha ha... can't praise you yet...

come to think of it, maybe another temple. The one we went got a very big buddha sleeping/lying there one. Not on top of hill one leh... famous or not? Nothing to take, except photos...  [:p]

Honestly just go there jiak lah.

I went to Penang as a boy. And even then i'm distinctly unimpressed with the temple. Even though I'm not well traveled. The view also nothing much.

Just go there and stuff your face!!!  [laugh]

Honestly just go there jiak lah.

I went to Penang as a boy. And even then i'm distinctly unimpressed with the temple. Even though I'm not well traveled. The view also nothing much.

Just go there and stuff your face!!! [laugh]

Malaysia attraction got nice one meh? Sorry but i really feel that they don't have one. So when i go malaysia normally i go jiak and sleep only. Best thing about malaysia is the toll infrastructure. And genting too, its cooling so its nice though the place ald run down.

For TS can consider go butterfly dome in penang, newly built, maybe copycat sg. See the pic like quite nice

Malaysia attraction got nice one meh? Sorry but i really feel that they don't have one. So when i go malaysia normally i go jiak and sleep only. Best thing about malaysia is the toll infrastructure. And genting too, its cooling so its nice though the place ald run down.

For TS can consider go butterfly dome in penang, newly built, maybe copycat sg. See the pic like quite nice

I agree so far nothing in malaysia impresses me.

But i won't mind going to the temple if it's a few day trip. Just saying for a few hours offshore activity, it's a waste of time.

I agree so far nothing in malaysia impresses me.

But i won't mind going to the temple if it's a few day trip. Just saying for a few hours offshore activity, it's a waste of time.

Maybe just go offshore to makan ... At least a change of food from the cruise food ....

Feet touch land, at least a solid footing than on cruise :D

If time is really tight, better stay on cruise and relax in the pool when there is lesser ppl :))

If you had more time I'd agree with Kek Lok Si and then go on to the cable car up Penang Hill.

Great views.

But not enough time.

So why not try the Komtar building and go to the 58th ? floor for great views of the city.

It was free when we went but I think its been renovated since then.

Good Dim Sum open air place just opposite E & O Hotel.

Wouldn't bother with the Chew Jetty.  Not when time is short.

Edited by Neutrino
↡ Advertisement