Recommendations for a commercial van

Piyopico

I have a question.

Vans are mainly registered for commercial use but there are cases where owners are using them as domestic vehicles.

In the event of an accident when the passengers are found to be family members instead of workers, will insurance still cover?

↡ Advertisement

33 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

I have a question.

Vans are mainly registered for commercial use but there are cases where owners are using them as domestic vehicles.

In the event of an accident when the passengers are found to be family members instead of workers, will insurance still cover?

Depending on the insurance company. I dunno whether all others do the same.

I came across fwd comprehensive covers the passengers in the vehicle if there is an accident. Other plans like third party I am not too sure. One of the more important factors is that you must be one of the assigned drivers(in the policy) when something happen.

Usually insurance is "what you pay is what you get". 

• Praise 1

On 9/14/2021 at 8:48 PM, Smoothscott said:

@Dfx16  how about the old hiace of early 2000s? 

I wont recommend anything that is more than 10yo for commercial vehicles. Reason being the vehicle has to go for vehicle inspection every 6months.

You will see that the inspection fee consist of one vehicle inspection fee and a smog test fee.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 6

21 minutes ago, ZaiNan said:

Is nissan nv200 still the most popular?

Read somewhere there's e version, will it be in SG soon?

its the most popular small size van now. esp the diesel version. only because of the large rear space. and cheap price for a new 1.

the maintenance is very high.  if u really really want a nv200 and u dun carry heavy. buy the petrol version.

if u got enough money , buy lite ace. ( there is a pro ace , avoid it at all cost )

ftw a diesel nv200 is a renault kangoo in  disguise

there is indeed a e-version. but i believe its BYD

• Praise 1

20 minutes ago, Beregond said:

its the most popular small size van now. esp the diesel version. only because of the large rear space. and cheap price for a new 1.

the maintenance is very high.  if u really really want a nv200 and u dun carry heavy. buy the petrol version.

if u got enough money , buy lite ace. ( there is a pro ace , avoid it at all cost )

ftw a diesel nv200 is a renault kangoo in  disguise

there is indeed a e-version. but i believe its BYD

kangoo maintenance is a killer back then. same as opel combo.

not too sure how the NV200 diesel variant stack up but as long as not fully jap parts inside, be prepare to spent more time in the workshop.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Jumpmanz said:

kangoo maintenance is a killer back then. same as opel combo.

not too sure how the NV200 diesel variant stack up but as long as not fully jap parts inside, be prepare to spent more time in the workshop.

NV200 diesel engine is Renault one. 🥴

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

18 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Heard quite problematic.  Petrol ones more reliable.  Anyone can confirm this ?

Changing the oil filter is a PITA already. It’s not at the bottom like most Japanese, it’s somewhere in the middle and not easily accessible.

The O2 sensor also was faulty during the 3rd and check engine light was lighted up. Tan Chong changed it.

Other than that, the engine was ok for 6.5 years before I sold it.

• Haha! 1

If you find a car too expensive now and then try looking at vans I wouldnt recommend it.

Cos one of the biggest money pit for commercial vehicles is that there is no PARF value when you sell it within that 10 years. It so call depreciates more than a car. IMO can be more expensive than owning a car.

That is why a lot of companies use the vehicles for the full 10years. Anyway now got what lalamove and logistics companies that come with drivers companies dont even want to own a fleet of vans. It is draining their resources.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

26 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Changing the oil filter is a PITA already. It’s not at the bottom like most Japanese, it’s somewhere in the middle and not easily accessible.

The O2 sensor also was faulty during the 3rd and check engine light was lighted up. Tan Chong changed it.

Other than that, the engine was ok for 6.5 years before I sold it.

if u drive 6.5 years only o2 sensor fail mean u very very lucky liao. or u are a light user

heavy user change clutch like 1 year once🤣 other stuff dun say

• Haha! 1

3 minutes ago, Beregond said:

if u drive 6.5 years only o2 sensor fail mean u very very lucky liao. or u are a light user

heavy user change clutch like 1 year once🤣 other stuff dun say

Hahaha, I only said the engine ma.

Yes, now that you mentioned it I remembered the clutch was changed once. 

Mine was the NV200+6.

• Praise 1

38 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

If you find a car too expensive now and then try looking at vans I wouldnt recommend it.

Cos one of the biggest money pit for commercial vehicles is that there is no PARF value when you sell it within that 10 years. It so call depreciates more than a car. IMO can be more expensive than owning a car.

That is why a lot of companies use the vehicles for the full 10years. Anyway now got what lalamove and logistics companies that come with drivers companies dont even want to own a fleet of vans. It is draining their resources.

Those buy lorry van one die die must use 20 years one if not boh hua

• Praise 1

20 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Those buy lorry van one die die must use 20 years one if not boh hua

alot of those only dyna and old cabstar old hi-ace. they normally use 20 years till scrape 1. 

but the nv200 is impossible. can use to 10 years already very good. even the nv350 is inferior when comparing to hi-ace. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

alot of those only dyna and old cabstar old hi-ace. they normally use 20 years till scrape 1. 

but the nv200 is impossible. can use to 10 years already very good. even the nv350 is inferior when comparing to hi-ace. 

Cabstar is sure use 20 years one 

very good quality

• Haha! 1

Don't get van with Conti engine.

Because of Covid wait long long to get spare parts.

:D

Only get Sushi engine easier to get spare parts.

And commercial no need to buy new.

Save money and get used as van drivers will bang here bang there.

Buy new and it will also looked like used.

I not allowed to advertise as MCF says I have to pay money

so I cannot say I have many good condition used commercial vans.

Because I don't want to pay MCF money.

• Haha! 1

24 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Cabstar is sure use 20 years one 

very good quality

the old f23 is lasting.

the new f24 still reasonable. but the repair cost is higher. more labour to work on it also 

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Why is having no PARF a problem? You pay less upfront anyway. Why store money with LTA for 10years? 
its not like the old system where you get back lots by having the fixed parf. The 29k for a 1600-2000cc engine was so attractive then. I remember the Subaru Legacy 1.8 benefitted most from this. Cheap to buy with huge parf in the end. 

i like low parf for cars the best. It allows one to renew coe for hardly any loss. And once coe prices drop, then scrap it for a new car. 

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4