Respite care

Ysc3

Twincharged

anyone engaged respite care services for their family when they temporarily could not care for a member of their family ?

↡ Advertisement

Do you need a registered nurse or just someone to help look after with basic functions?

My MIL (a registered nurse) used to be doing this but has since stopped. According to her, some of these providers are very unethical and after signing up to their package, you'll realise their actual service provider are untrained elderly folks (some in their 60s and 70s) who might not be too physically strong to meet your demands. Mind you, this is from one of the "big" and "renowned" players in the market.

Worse situation I heard of was that they knowingly hired a HIV patient to do the job. Flame me for discrimination and ignorance if you guys want, but I definitely won't want a HIV patient taking care of my lived ones daily.[:(]

Due to the above, I don't feel comfortable recommending any specific provider to you guys but the charges for a non nursing staff is around 15-20 per hr depending on duration and whether or not you sign a package with them. If you are extremely lucky (1/50 chance?), You might get assigned a registered nurse who will be able to help with injections, sucking of phlegm and the like (I've told my MIL not to engage in such jobs because I feel it is damn disgusting and exposes her to diseases).

anyone engaged respite care services for their family when they temporarily could not care for a member of their family ?

My recommendation. Call the private nursing agency for the latest rates of enrolled nurses and registered nurses who can do private nursing for the short term.

And make the first few days of service before you cannot care for your family member. At least you know if the nurse is suitable before you really have no choice. You can still change.

Consider alternatives like a maid or something if not much medical work is needed or focus is on basic care. The reason is because it is likely this will not be a one off time but as years pass you might need to engage help more often. At least you lay the ground now instead of struggling later.

• Praise 1

My mum goes here twice a week for 3 hours each time.  It's $50 per 3-hour session, so $400 a month, not including transport.  Transport you have to arrange yourself.

I have visited the centre a few times and talked to the Dr running the centre and observed my mum as she was engaged in various activities there.  My family felt that it was worthwhile continuing so she has been going for the past half year now.

My Dad therefore gets 2 half-days of respite from looking after my mum.

http://www.mfdcsg.com/

• Praise 1

Twincharged

you are talking about going on holiday or breaks for several days?

if that's the case, St Luke's Hospital accept respite care cases on a case by case basis.

http://www.slh.org.sg/wp/contact-us/useful-contacts/

yup. bringing my mom for a week long holiday overseas ... but my dad does not want to go ... there goes the the air-ticket...

surprisingly, some places are full when my sister called them up.

yup. bringing my mom for a week long holiday overseas ... but my dad does not want to go ... there goes the the air-ticket...

surprisingly, some places are full when my sister called them up.

Not sure about now, but in the past, all the community hospitals offered respite care, as long as they have the beds available. But because respite care is not subsidised by Govt, the family will have to pay full costs so only eligible for 4 bedders and higher, cannot stay at subsidised wards. Oh, think must be cash too, and not payable using medisave. This in a way is the deterrent else many people might opt for it, if it's too affordable.

There's also a limit on length of stay, obviously, as they would worry about family parking the patient there and not wanna discharge home later.

Apart from St Luke, other CHs include St Andrews, AMK-THK Hosp, Bright Vision, and Renci. Not sure where got others or not as my knowledge is at least 4-5 yr ago one, when my grandma was around and the caregiver was due for home leave and the family was exploring options.

Not sure about now, but in the past, all the community hospitals offered respite care, as long as they have the beds available. But because respite care is not subsidised by Govt, the family will have to pay full costs so only eligible for 4 bedders and higher, cannot stay at subsidised wards. Oh, think must be cash too, and not payable using medisave. This in a way is the deterrent else many people might opt for it, if it's too affordable.

There's also a limit on length of stay, obviously, as they would worry about family parking the patient there and not wanna discharge home later.

Apart from St Luke, other CHs include St Andrews, AMK-THK Hosp, Bright Vision, and Renci. Not sure where got others or not as my knowledge is at least 4-5 yr ago one, when my grandma was around and the caregiver was due for home leave and the family was exploring options.

yes the comm hospital full day respite care is expensive.

↡ Advertisement