New Peugeot 5008 (no longer an MPV?)

Riverfish

http://auto.sina.com.cn/newcar/x/2016-09-07/detail-ifxvqctu6465222.shtml?cre=sinapc&mod=g&loc=8&r=15&doct=0&rfunc=56&tj=none

It basically says the new generation will be be based on EMP2 and debut on 29th Sep in Paris Auto show.  

It'll still be a 7-seater:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2017-peugeot-5008-revealed-striking-new-look

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Looks quite classy. But really seems more like a 7-seater SUV than MPV. It's probably a conscious decision to widen its appeal.

Looks nice. The SUV look. Bet the price will be high when gets here

Bonnet longer now, looks more like SUV, but at the same time the body from behind the bonnet looks quite MPV. Except for high ride height.

At the same time it might be the right choice because 3008 is also a SUV, so it's like more consistent.

Pricing wise I don't expect it to be uncompetitive... Peugeot's sales volume here is so small that they price quite decently

• Praise 1

Looks quite classy. But really seems more like a 7-seater SUV than MPV. It's probably a conscious decision to widen its appeal.

Bonnet longer now, looks more like SUV, but at the same time the body from behind the bonnet looks quite MPV. Except for high ride height.

At the same time it might be the right choice because 3008 is also a SUV, so it's like more consistent.

Pricing wise I don't expect it to be uncompetitive... Peugeot's sales volume here is so small that they price quite decently

The article says it will indeed be a 7-seater SUV rather than MPV. :)   

• Praise 1

I think the French are going a mpv crossover design. New Renault grand scenic also moving almost there with large frontal presence.
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

The use of a 3D rotating outer surface of a ring for the digital meters is quite interesting and unique, though I feel the tach could be a bit more visible.

As always, French style is truly in a world of its own.

Looks pretty good. This 7 seater SUV segment becoming highly competitive, with Peugeot 5008, Skoda Kodiaq, Renault Koleos all launching soon.

And CX 9 (hopefully) coming to Singapore as well.

• Praise 1

Looks pretty good. This 7 seater SUV segment becoming highly competitive, with Peugeot 5008, Skoda Kodiaq, Renault Koleos all launching soon.

And CX 9 (hopefully) coming to Singapore as well.

There are still fine lines between SUV and crossover. 5008 is more of a crossover to me, just like the new Grand Scenic & Espace from Renault. As for SUV, CX 9 is of another class, targeting at large size 7 seater SUV such as Q7, XC90, etc. And Koleos don't come with 7 seat, iirc.

Looking at short to mid term, SUV will be the trend in motoring scene, and might up root the sales of sedan by surprise. Crossover is more of bridging the gaps between hatch / wagon and compact SUV...

• Praise 4

very nice !! but french made  ..hmmm

Yeah, nice design but being french is the biggest deal breaker.

If the 5008 was jap fitted wif a 1.6 turbo petrol mated to a conventional aisin 6-spd auto, it'll be sg's best seller.

There are still fine lines between SUV and crossover. 5008 is more of a crossover to me, just like the new Grand Scenic & Espace from Renault. As for SUV, CX 9 is of another class, targeting at large size 7 seater SUV such as Q7, XC90, etc. And Koleos don't come with 7 seat, iirc.

Looking at short to mid term, SUV will be the trend in motoring scene, and might up root the sales of sedan by surprise. Crossover is more of bridging the gaps between hatch / wagon and compact SUV...

Yeah SUV vs Crossover is confusing. Think the old definition was truck body based (like Fortuner, Prado) vs car body based (like most of the soft roaders being discussed including cx9, Sorento etc). But now, there is increasing overlap in the terms being used.

Renault just confirmed a 7 seater for the Koleos. Size wise, Koleos will be 4650 in length, slightly shorter than the Kodiaq and slightly longer than the xtrail. Imagine the 5008 will be in the same ballpark.

http://www.motoring.com.au/renault-confirms-seven-seat-koleos-53931/

Yeah SUV vs Crossover is confusing. Think the old definition was truck body based (like Fortuner, Prado) vs car body based (like most of the soft roaders being discussed including cx9, Sorento etc). But now, there is increasing overlap in the terms being used.

Renault just confirmed a 7 seater for the Koleos. Size wise, Koleos will be 4650 in length, slightly shorter than the Kodiaq and slightly longer than the xtrail. Imagine the 5008 will be in the same ballpark.

http://www.motoring.com.au/renault-confirms-seven-seat-koleos-53931/

If you are looking at mid size 7 seater SUV / crossover, it will be very competitive in no time.

Chevrolet Captiva

Honda CRV (2017)

Hyundai Santa Fe

Kia Sorento

Land Rover Discovery Sport

Lexus RX LWB (2018)

Mitsubishi Outlander

Nissan X-trail

Peugeot 5008

Renault Grand Scenic

Renault Koleos

Skoda Kodiaq

VW Tiguan LWB (2018)

• Praise 5

Beautiful design. As a Peugeot 508 owner I love the design of all the Peugeot cars lately. But they better know their poor reputation for reliability and make it right this time. Don't think they will price it high as the market in this segment is pretty competitive now. Good luck. :relief:

The 3rd row folding method and mat to cover the 3rd row seats looks like the same system as the Citroen grand Picasso.

Peugeot and Citroen are under the PSA group.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupe_PSA

Their cars share the same platforms and parts.

I think it's aimed at the US market. If you look at French roads such cars will have difficulty with the narrow roads.

Edited by Watwheels

Peugeot and Citroen are under the PSA group. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupe_PSA

Their cars share the same platforms and parts.

I think it's aimed at the US market. If you look at French roads such cars will have difficulty with the narrow roads.

Are you referring to the long wheel base? If so I agree. It is even more glaring if you try to drive such car into their car parks. The passageway to the car park is often narrow and winding. Not to mention the initial portion is wider and gets narrower as you drive in. Sort of an entrapment. The car park is French design after all, you can't explain it.

↡ Advertisement