2017 Hyundai i30

Thecarboy302

Carwow reviewing which one? i30?

Well, they do usually acknowledge that the hyundais although very sedate drive and not fun to drive they are supremely comfortable and refined for their price which is what may be more important to mass-market.

Yup i30

Yes think the carwow guy prefers a more engaging drive and he biased when it's not sporty. So maybe if he doesn't curse at the car and just gives a bored face it should be perfect for our comfort

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Yup i30

Yes think the carwow guy prefers a more engaging drive and he biased when it's not sporty. So maybe if he doesn't curse at the car and just gives a bored face it should be perfect for our comfort

Haha, Matt Watson, right? Love his videos.

Well, he's from the UK, and they're more into engaging drives than the rest of the world. Part of the reason for the old Mondeos' incredible success at the time. But he does also talk about the comfort of the car and he has high praise for the i40 estate in regards to how it soaks up bumps. I recall whenever I ride in an i40 taxi they're just so comfy and the Hyundais also often have great space.

I expect the same of the i30... though I doubt a Hyundai hatch will move a lot of units here, the Accent hatch wasn't really a volume product here, though the i30 would be more like an Elantra hatch (compact) than the supermini class that the Accent occupies.

That's what I like about my Sonata... it's super refined as a cruiser... pushing it requires sports mode... still not too bad... just that you have to keep the revs sky high...

Perhaps I will have to hire you as a not-PHV for a day for a relaxation trip!  :XD:

Well, he's from the UK, and they're more into engaging drives than the rest of the world. Part of the reason for the old Mondeos' incredible success at the time. But he does also talk about the comfort of the car and he has high praise for the i40 estate in regards to how it soaks up bumps. I recall whenever I ride in an i40 taxi they're just so comfy and the Hyundais also often have great space.

I expect the same of the i30... though I doubt a Hyundai hatch will move a lot of units here, the Accent hatch wasn't really a volume product here, though the i30 would be more like an Elantra hatch (compact) than the supermini class that the Accent occupies.

Perhaps I will have to hire you as a not-PHV for a day for a relaxation trip! :XD:

Ya that's the guy LOL, only his videos show some vigour...many others are pretty monotonous so I only watch if they come first..

The previous i30 iirc was not cheaper than the sedans and came with a boring 1.6 (for a hatch).

• Praise 2

Perhaps I will have to hire you as a not-PHV for a day for a relaxation trip!  :XD:

Hahaha.... your own Mondeo is also a superb cruiser...

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Hahaha.... your own Mondeo is also a superb cruiser...

But that one I must drive ownself

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I don't mind driving your car... ha ha ha...

You have fun for a day, I get to close eyes and pretend to be ahgong [sleeping]  for a day...

win win...

:yeah-im-not-drunk:

i40s very comfortable? Ok bah. comparable to any jap executive sedan.

But the new GDI engines are quiet when not being revved compared to the sonatas.

I sat in a diesel i30 (current generation used by cabs) cab. I think it's torque is even more immediate than the i40 lol  [laugh]

Matt watson has a sense of humor. Watched him from carbuyer until now at carwow

But the new GDI engines are quiet when not being revved compared to the sonatas.

I sat in a diesel i30 (current generation used by cabs) cab. I think it's torque is even more immediate than the i40 lol [laugh]

Not sure about the GDI engines being more quiet than the Sonata MPI engines... we only have the MPI engines for all the Hyundai cars... not sure if the Veloster and i40 wagon use the GDI engines or not... anyway both cars aren't available anymore... the i40 taxis use a diesel engines so do the i30 wagons used by taxi companies right? So not comparable to the current Sonata which uses a petrol MPI engine... while the older Sonata taxis are using an outdated diesel engine? Not too sure...

Not sure about the GDI engines being more quiet than the Sonata MPI engines... we only have the MPI engines for all the Hyundai cars... not sure if the Veloster and i40 wagon use the GDI engines or not... anyway both cars aren't available anymore... the i40 taxis use a diesel engines so do the i30 wagons used by taxi companies right? So not comparable to the current Sonata which uses a petrol MPI engine... while the older Sonata taxis are using an outdated diesel engine? Not too sure...

Sorry. i was referring to the new diesel engines in the i40 cabs. My mistake in the GDI reference.

They are much more refined than their predecessors.

Turbocharged

I sat in a diesel i30 (current generation used by cabs) cab. I think it's torque is even more immediate than the i40 lol [laugh]

Much softer and plush bump absorption compared to German firmness. Its soft and tuned for bumpy Europe roads. I find it better than most in regards to soaking up stuff, especially for a passive suspension... but imo of course, never spent lot of time in jap exec. Versus old Sonata 7 it is no horse run.

Much softer and plush bump absorption compared to German firmness. Its soft and tuned for bumpy Europe roads. I find it better than most in regards to soaking up stuff, especially for a passive suspension... but imo of course, never spent lot of time in jap exec. Versus old Sonata 7 it is no horse run.

suspension comfort, must drive around quite a bit. And also depends on what your kar cheng is used to haha.

Unfortunately the test drives here are very short. 

While i was still driving a B&B car, suspension to me just is like that lor. All also ok. Now sit in executive sedan with longer wheelbase, find the B&B cars suspension quite cmi. But wheelbase helps.

I remember almost feeling like vomiting when i drove my car home for the 1st time. Cos the thomson road was having a lot of road works and i not used to my car's suspension.

your mondeo is more american or european?

Mondeo definitely more European...

The Sonata's suspension is pretty good too... just that for larger bumps like contraction strips on the highway, especially the bridges, the 'bump' feels quite hard...

Longer wheelbase is definitely different lor... one class up is one class up... the ride quality is totally different... plus also more space for more optimized suspension settings...

Turbocharged

suspension comfort, must drive around quite a bit. And also depends on what your kar cheng is used to haha.

Unfortunately the test drives here are very short. 

While i was still driving a B&B car, suspension to me just is like that lor. All also ok. Now sit in executive sedan with longer wheelbase, find the B&B cars suspension quite cmi. But wheelbase helps.

I remember almost feeling like vomiting when i drove my car home for the 1st time. Cos the thomson road was having a lot of road works and i not used to my car's suspension.

your mondeo is more american or european?

I'd say 75% euro 25% american

It's an european gone soft to make americans happy, then retuned to make europeans slightly less unhappy  [sweatdrop]

• Praise 1

I'd say 75% euro 25% american

It's an european gone soft to make americans happy, then retuned to make europeans slightly less unhappy [sweatdrop]

I thought the Mondeo's suspension was completely revised for Europe? The Fusion was much softer right?

Turbocharged

I thought the Mondeo's suspension was completely revised for Europe? The Fusion was much softer right?

Some say it shares a lot of parts. Others say it was redone for Europe. I suspect both are true and it is more of a recalibration/retuning while the underlying suspension architecture is the same.

But I do expect it is firmer than and more handling oriented than the American version. And of course the Europeans got adaptive LED...

Even so, it's very telling what the differences in expectations and status quos are; the CD391 Fusion's handling was praised by American autojournalism at its debut, while the CD391 Mondeo Mk V has a long list of critics who wept about how "it lost its edge".

I don't know how the European oriented Hyundai is compare to, say, the Sonata or Elantra, not quite having experienced both in a really comparable situation in terms of the suspension, but I do know they are engineered differently. Just the same that the Toyota Avensis for example would be pretty different to an American Camry, and the Accord Euro (or, JDM) back then was wildly different to the American/global Accord, and how the American Passat is a larger, squishy and cheaply made soft car as opposed to the upscale true Passat B8...

http://www.hyundaimotors.com.sg/images/i30-new/i30_brochure.pdf

New i30 brochure out on Hyundai SG website. 2 interesting notes. 

1. Only 1.4L Turbo GDi engine (138bhp) offered, which places it in Cat B.

2. There's only 2 airbags. 

Odd to see 2 airbags in the i30 given that Elantra has 6 across the trims. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1