2017 Hyundai i30

Thecarboy302

Have anyone replaced the 9" HU unit for the i30, the one that is locally fitted? I'm looking to replace it with a better model that support android auto.

some folks have replaced the original Windows CE unit with China head units or the Alpine Halo 9 which you can get at local audio shops such as Foon audio. The Alpine supports android auto.  I have not replaced mine yet, but changed out the stock speakers for better ones. 

• Praise 1

Guys,

Have read up all the fruitful and valuable feedback, review and advise by all here.

I love the i30 wagon too but holding back for two reasons:

1. Without electric seat. Even Elantra has. Was asking KMC SE and my outside accessories shop if enable to have any aftermarket installation.

2. Based on my past ownership with Hyundai models (Matrix and Avante), I know they will only package with better features along the way. So I have learned not to be the pioneer buyer. :) I am actually looking forward for a S/R option in the near future. :p

Apart, I have the following questions to existing i30 and i30 wagon owners:

1. Has anyone changed/trade-in their head unit? During my test drive with one of my closed bro i30, I find the locally fitted head unit comes with poor resolution. Barred the poor connection as per others feedback.

2. Has anyone done up with the aftermarket electric tailgate? Sad thing that i30 came without this as Elantra does have the smart boot for its elite variant.

3. Any existing i30 owner has experience laggy or jerky with the dual clutch GB? As those technically expert drivers would know the tonnes of issues with this 7 speeder dual clutch GB with other brands and models. For Hyundai, it was also an address issue with their turbo Tucson, in US.

GB is not a small issue that we can simply ignored.

4. For any i30 wagon owner here, please kindly advise what is your ride OMV or ARF? I would rather to hear from the owners than the SE. ;)

Apart, the rest should be fine until 5years due then we know how reliable to be for their cooling system on the turbo engine.

Parts wise we always have Song Yi and Min Ghee to source upon that giving us the best price. :)

Currently driving a Jap made. Nothing would beat the low maintenance costs of a Hyundai. :)

Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs and feedback to my queries. :)

Edited by lun71
  • Praise 1

Guys,

Have read up all the fruitful and valuable feedback, review and advise by all here.

1. Without electric seat. Even Elantra has. Was asking KMC SE and my outside accessories shop if enable to have any aftermarket installation.

2. Based on my past ownership with Hyundai models (Matrix and Avante), I know they will only package with better features along the way. So I have learned not to be the pioneer buyer. :) I am actually looking forward for a S/R option in the near future. :p

1. Has anyone changed/trade-in their head unit? During my test drive with one of my closed bro i30, I find the locally fitted head unit comes with poor resolution. Barred the poor connection as per others feedback.

2. Has anyone done up with the aftermarket electric tailgate? Sad thing that i30 came without this as Elantra does have the smart boot for its elite variant.

3. Any existing i30 owner has experience laggy or jerky with the dual clutch GB? As those technically expert drivers would know the tonnes of issues with this 7 speeder dual clutch GB with other brands and models. For Hyundai, it was also an address issue with their turbo Tucson, in US.

4. For any i30 wagon owner here, please kindly advise what is your ride OMV or ARF? I would rather to hear from the owners than the SE. ;)

Apart, the rest should be fine until 5years due then we know how reliable to be for their cooling system on the turbo engine.

Parts wise we always have Song Yi and Min Ghee to source upon that giving us the best price. :)

Currently driving a Jap made. Nothing would beat the low maintenance costs of a Hyundai. :)

KMC removed the electric ventilated seat, blind spot warning and some minor features from the HB and Wagon to lower its OMV for a better pricing point, since the car is fully manufactured in Czech Republic. if you want the full specs, the fastback comes with everything that was taken out.

1) Yes, there are aftermarket Android HU available for the i30. Works with the steering wheel controls

2) Found this vendor which offers electric tailgate at around $700. But he didnt reply whether compatible with i30 or not. https://www.facebook.com/singtradeaudio

3) Only encountered occasional jerking and lag in gear 1/2, when my accelerator input was erratic. You need to operate the accelerator smoothly with minimal hesitation as GB need to predict the next gear to shift too. 

• Praise 2

Guys,

Wagon comes with original HU, not the local fitted HU as seen in HB. The HU supports android auto and carplay, dont have the poor resolution issue like the local fitted HU in HB.
  • Praise 2

I was thinking to purchase the HB but the fastback look more and more attractive. Any one know what is the OMV and ARF for the fastback? Thank you

You can only get the fast back OMV in next month's report below due to 1st unit being reg this month or u can ask the SE.  $18,269 hatch back and $14,902 wagon are listed below in the LTA cost chart. 

https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/content/onemotoring/en/lta_information_guidelines/buy_a_new_vehicle/car_cost.html

- head unit yes, quite a few owners have changed to android, can see more units appear on ALIEXPRESS, just look for it.  audio firms like autoimage know how to install as they done a few jobs.  in fact, just heard that they will be bringing in the android head units themselves too. 

- tailgate, have not heard many done it yet

- laggy GB - only at low speed.  u have to decide ur own risk level if worth it.  on the other side, besides the 5 or 7 year in house warranty, dual clutch offers 600km per 50 litre tank and is fuel efficient for this 1.4 litre turbo engine. 

- OMV - asked and answered see above reply. 

Guys,

• Praise 1

Thanks for the feebdack bros.

Bro  Ceecookie,

The fastback and wagon generally to be different type of cars actually.

Fastback is actually following the concept of a coupe hence lowered ride, declining rear roof, stiffer suspension and tuning towards dynamic than refinement. All these are not so suitable for me who used to ferry my family, especially when with elderly on board. 

How I wish that they could bring in the full specs for the wagon as I do not mind to pay for a few Ks extra. At least as a variant like the Elantra model.

GB wise the draggy, jerky and laggy is not just the characteristics. It's a question if it would last. A risk factor that bro Gz0707 has mentioned.

Btw bro Gz0707, I think you have a typo on wagon OMV. :) My last check from the same source (on Sep registered), i30 wagon OMV was yet available. Forgotten to check again for Oct registered. Anyway thanks for the update. :)

HU I thought most would source from Tong Lee Wee or Soon Lee. Seems that I am wrong. Anyway if you have purchased online from Aliexpress, Ebay, Q0010, Taobao etc merchants, you can look for Soon Lee to do the installation for you. Very reasonably price with good worksmenship. :) If with Android or Apple play then no need to worry about map update along the way. :)

As for the electric tailgate, its just a matter whether if it can be done with aftermarket. Since there are existing owners already done up with it, then there is no issue. Best if to complete with the smart boot sensor. :)  I think the damage would probably be around $1K then.

KMC SE has watsapp me with the latest promo price at $98,999. Sounds good for a ride with OMV of $19K+. Am still considering as due to my concerns with the GB. Tucson is using the same GB and was registered with plenty of issues now in US.

Edited by lun71
  • Praise 1

Wagon comes with original HU, not the local fitted HU as seen in HB. The HU supports android auto and carplay, dont have the poor resolution issue like the local fitted HU in HB.

Oh, so which is which now? If original HU my understanding is smaller than the locally fitted one. Abit too small in my understanding.

wah, bad typo, my bad! yup, wagon OMV is 19,402 and not 5k less! I believe the wagon is better, with 7 air bags and now with original HU running car play, even tho it is not fully specced.  if u understand OMV, you will see the pricing strategy that the agent use. more than 20k OMV incurs 1.4 x ARF and drives up cost substantially ... 

Thanks for the feebdack bros.

Bro  Ceecookie,

The fastback and wagon generally to be different type of cars actually.

Fastback is actually following the concept of a coupe hence lowered ride, declining rear roof, stiffer suspension and tuning towards dynamic than refinement. All these are not so suitable for me who used to ferry my family, especially when with elderly on board. 

How I wish that they could bring in the full specs for the wagon as I do not mind to pay for a few Ks extra. At least as a variant like the Elantra model.

GB wise the draggy, jerky and laggy is not just the characteristics. It's a question if it would last. A risk factor that bro Gz0707 has mentioned.

Btw bro Gz0707, I think you have a typo on wagon OMV. :) My last check from the same source (on Sep registered), i30 wagon OMV was yet available. Forgotten to check again for Oct registered. Anyway thanks for the update. :)

HU I thought most would source from Tong Lee Wee or Soon Lee. Seems that I am wrong. Anyway if you have purchased online from Aliexpress, Ebay, Q0010, Taobao etc merchants, you can look for Soon Lee to do the installation for you. Very reasonably price with good worksmenship. :) If with Android or Apple play then no need to worry about map update along the way. :)

As for the electric tailgate, its just a matter whether if it can be done with aftermarket. Since there are existing owners already done up with it, then there is no issue. Best if to complete with the smart boot sensor. :)  I think the damage would probably be around $1K then.

KMC SE has watsapp me with the latest promo price at $98,999. Sounds good for a ride with OMV of $19K+. Am still considering as due to my concerns with the GB. Tucson is using the same GB and was registered with plenty of issues now in US.

Oh, so which is which now? If original HU my understanding is smaller than the locally fitted one. Abit too small in my understanding.

It is 8in or 9in, cant remember exactly the size

wah, bad typo, my bad! yup, wagon OMV is 19,402 and not 5k less! I believe the wagon is better, with 7 air bags and now with original HU running car play, even tho it is not fully specced.  if u understand OMV, you will see the pricing strategy that the agent use. more than 20k OMV incurs 1.4 x ARF and drives up cost substantially ... 

Yes thats the stupidity of the current OMV system. But the 140% only apply on OMV amount 20,001 onwards. 

Yes the wagon is pretty well package now and truly a family wagon. :)

$19,402 OMV or ARF looks good. :) 

↡ Advertisement