2017 Hyundai i30

Thecarboy302

yup, but I dunno them.  they have FB group, but less active, cos maybe more family car. 

the i30 group is super zhng one. brake kits, audio, suspension, front lips, side skirt, LED lights etc.  we even mod the foot rest pedals. hahaha

U guys should get together with the veloster group lol

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

U guys should get together with the veloster group lol

the i30N will garner more attention .... lol 

here's the last group gathering photo shot the guys did. 

post-20347-0-77140200-1543372393_thumb.jpg

post-20347-0-34039000-1543372470_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gz0707
  • Praise 3

the other issue which is more important is Komoco quietly not answering to why there is power loss in 1st and 2nd gear.  I think its time for this issue to surface.  One owner has already sent complaint letter to the AD. 

You mean you didn't notice this during the test drive? It was also mentioned by our local car journalist review article. Somehow it being concluded as being the "characteristic" of the DCT. 

Or do you mean you have experienced even more power loss on your day to day driving now?

FYI, I am in the midst of getting the wagon variant. Was quoted with different pricing for different warranty and servicing package hence will take your valuable ownership sharing experience as a consideration.

I also saw an update from an audio shop saying that they now have a module to switch off the SS function. Price? $120 upon asking.  quite silly now we have to mod this to disable SS, and also risk more warranty issues from AD, I'm sure.  It's on Soon Lee audio FB page, they have adv it there. I asked about i30, but no response yet.  

This is one of the audio shop I used to patrol over the years. The boss ah lee and his staff has good experience with Hyundai cars. They are skillful with good worksmanship too. Not once they have accidentally scratch my interior panel, not even to dirty them.

I will probably looking for them to done up the blind spot monitoring and electric tailgate with boot sensor if I managed to close the deal with my SE.

No offence bro, just answering to a few comments but I din tag them.  but guess what?  they are right ... checked with the guys and the AC goes to minimal as engine shuts down.  same as other cars :(

The "turbo lag" or lack of a better description, is loss of power in gear 1 and 2, sometimes when turning.  this has caused concern amongst i30 drivers and we are waiting for a firmware/ECU update which is said to be testing by AD.  But sadly, no communications has been forthcoming and most of us are still in the dark. :( 

If this is ECU problem, not too sure Harmony Motors who is famous in programming Hyundai ECU able to help?

Probably lessons learnt from the vw DSG saga. The software probably limits the power to save the clutch and prevent overheating.

Anyone know if i30 DCT is using wet or dry clutch? Since prevention of overheating to be Hyundai concerns now.

• Praise 1

the i30N will garner more attention .... lol 

here's the last group gathering photo shot the guys did. 

Nice! Hope can join you guys soon. :)

You mean you didn't notice this during the test drive? It was also mentioned by our local car journalist review article. Somehow it being concluded as being the "characteristic" of the DCT. 

Or do you mean you have experienced even more power loss on your day to day driving now?

If this is ECU problem, not too sure Harmony Motors who is famous in programming Hyundai ECU able to help?

Anyone know if i30 DCT is using wet or dry clutch? Since prevention of overheating to be Hyundai concerns now.

I drive the wagon wich has more air bags and better boot space, not so hot-hatch looking ... nope didn't notice the lag when testing (too many gadgets to distract me).  but it also appears that more loss of power is felt by owners as time passes, this is an observation by some guys.  the loss of power is possible due to slipping into 2nd gear or clutch issue, I am not able to explain this is detailed technical sense.  hopefully the just released DCT firmware can address this.  

soon lee - if u know the boss, just ask him if the i30 module is ready or can use the subaru one.  

i30 uses dry clutch, afaik.  but I would not proceed to Harmony or any 3rd party for ecu programming due to warranty issues later.  if u wanna mod to 200 BHP, then it becomes a non-issue, if u know what I mean. 

Nice! Hope can join you guys soon. :)

if wagon, u shd be able to get the stock head unit with android auto and car play.  but for folks who want to upgrade their windows CE head uint, the group co-ordinator has a spare android set and its a great upgrade. :) 

Edited by Gz0707

I drive the wagon wich has more air bags and better boot space, not so hot-hatch looking ... nope didn't notice the lag when testing (too many gadgets to distract me).  but it also appears that more loss of power is felt by owners as time passes, this is an observation by some guys.  the loss of power is possible due to slipping into 2nd gear or clutch issue, I am not able to explain this is detailed technical sense.  hopefully the just released DCT firmware can address this.  

soon lee - if u know the boss, just ask him if the i30 module is ready or can use the subaru one.  

i30 uses dry clutch, afaik.  but I would not proceed to Harmony or any 3rd party for ecu programming due to warranty issues later.  if u wanna mod to 200 BHP, then it becomes a non-issue, if u know what I mean. 

if wagon, u shd be able to get the stock head unit with android auto and car play.  but for folks who want to upgrade their windows CE head uint, the group co-ordinator has a spare android set and its a great upgrade. :) 

Oic. During my test drive I can feel the big lag upon initial pick up. This is actually the same as the BMW 318i I have driven for a week.

I have also test drive the Tucson turbo that day. For Tucson, its just normal turbo lag that one could hardly feel.

Yes I know the boss but not going down recently.  What is this i30 module about?

Dry clutch! This explains why Hyundai is so concern with overheating. Harmony motors actually on programmes the stock ECU. I don't think KMC ever so capable to find out. LOL.

But yes, definitely to claim warranty from the proper channel first. 

My SE told me it will be still the same locally fitted one I saw on the test drive vehicle. I guess probably she is trying to push out the current stock to me. There is also currently roadshow at Suntec whereby i30 wagon is priced at $96,999 only. But the gimmick is, 5years warranty + 1 year free servicing instead of the 7 + 7 with the price tag of $99,999. I would rather picks the later for just $3K more.

Let's see what I am getting then. Anyway still far from securing a COE yet. If could grab one after next Wed. :)

Hope to catch up with you guys soon. :)

• Praise 1

Oic. During my test drive I can feel the big lag upon initial pick up. This is actually the same as the BMW 318i I have driven for a week.

I have also test drive the Tucson turbo that day. For Tucson, its just normal turbo lag that one could hardly feel.

Yes I know the boss but not going down recently.  What is this i30 module about?

Dry clutch! This explains why Hyundai is so concern with overheating. Harmony motors actually on programmes the stock ECU. I don't think KMC ever so capable to find out. LOL.

But yes, definitely to claim warranty from the proper channel first. 

My SE told me it will be still the same locally fitted one I saw on the test drive vehicle. I guess probably she is trying to push out the current stock to me. There is also currently roadshow at Suntec whereby i30 wagon is priced at $96,999 only. But the gimmick is, 5years warranty + 1 year free servicing instead of the 7 + 7 with the price tag of $99,999. I would rather picks the later for just $3K more.

Let's see what I am getting then. Anyway still far from securing a COE yet. If could grab one after next Wed. :)

Hope to catch up with you guys soon. :)

there is a discussion about this issue and response about gearbox performance in the facebook group - "3rd Generation i30 Singapore Group". maybe u can join and see the comments from the Hyundai representative.  

there is a discussion about this issue and response about gearbox performance in the facebook group - "3rd Generation i30 Singapore Group". maybe u can join and see the comments from the Hyundai representative.

Sure, thanks bro

Sure, thanks bro

these are some of the issues raised by owners since July but not yet resolved by Hyundai agent in SG, although testing for the new software is supposedly being done. nothing wrong with raising awareness on potential issues, even as current owners, imo.  

post-20347-0-39659800-1543444361_thumb.png

post-20347-0-60424100-1543444368_thumb.png

Edited by Gz0707
  • Praise 1

these are some of the issues raised by owners since July but not yet resolved by Hyundai agent in SG, although testing for the new software is supposedly being done. nothing wrong with raising awareness on potential issues, even as current owners, imo.

it sound like same issue as Tuscon 1.6T reported at other countries previously..

hope the fix is coming in fast.

Sorry to hear about the problems facing with i30 existing owners. Pretty similar to VW Jetta and passat (engine stalled, sudden no response). Recently, more QashQai drivers also had their ride stalled on the road as read in some forum.

On the bright side at least, KMC and Hyundai are trying to do something. It definitely better than being told of nothing can be done.

Well my SE just told me that there is no more stock for the wagon now and I got to wait till around Feb.

Hope I will hear of some good news from you guys by then. :)

• Praise 1

Sorry to hear about the problems facing with i30 existing owners. Pretty similar to VW Jetta and passat (engine stalled, sudden no response). Recently, more QashQai drivers also had their ride stalled on the road as read in some forum.

On the bright side at least, KMC and Hyundai are trying to do something. It definitely better than being told of nothing can be done.

Well my SE just told me that there is no more stock for the wagon now and I got to wait till around Feb.

The new dct firmware is under trial testing with a few i30s. If it's ready by your car collection date, you can request kmc to perform the firmware update Edited by Ceecookie
  • Praise 1

I have been told by someone whose friend drives the 1.2t Qashqai and its been given many problems even though car itself is only 6 months old. Agent also installed a data logger like hyundai but could not identify the issues owner complained. Looks like your observation is valid.

The wagon is a better buy, imo. And the extra money for more servicing in your last post may not be better. Maybe use the difference to change some parts like speakers etc. It's your call. But I still say the i30 is a good car. Am enjoying it!

The new dct firmware is under trial testing with a few i30s. If it's ready by your car collection date, you can request kmc to perform the firmware update

Thats something great. At least the KMC puts in efforts to resolve. Its so much easier to tell you that this is manufacturer defects and there is nothing they can do, like some authorised dealers here. And this really depreciates the warranty value.

Mine still at least 2 months away, by then should have more feedback on the outcome. Lol.

• Praise 1

I have been told by someone whose friend drives the 1.2t Qashqai and its been given many problems even though car itself is only 6 months old. Agent also installed a data logger like hyundai but could not identify the issues owner complained. Looks like your observation is valid.

The wagon is a better buy, imo. And the extra money for more servicing in your last post may not be better. Maybe use the difference to change some parts like speakers etc. It's your call. But I still say the i30 is a good car. Am enjoying it!

Yes, nowadays it is nothing uncommon to have problems with any car model. Well if you just think about where the whole World has shifted their manufacturing plant to, you probably can understand better. Haha.

I have compared Tucson with Wagon and test drive both before at KMC showroom. Personally I find Tucson to be a better ride (more responsive, quieter, more spacious being a SUV, more features) but not on the pricing. It's kinda of overpriced by KMC. At this price range, you would have many better choices.

On the extra money part, I have told my SE that I would rather stick back to the old price for  7+7 than to take up KMC "promotional" price of $3K lesser but on 5+1 (sales gimmick?). Warranty deems important to me for this ride as its a turbo charged with DCT, and not the normal NA with traditional AT. And most of us would have took up a 7years loan than shorter tenure. So 7years warranty just nice to cover up till full repayment. By that time, we could simply trade in for another ride without forking out much or even any extra $. Who cares what problem comes up after 7th year? Lol.

I do agreed that there will be alot of things we can "do" with this i30, Seems back to my old days, haha. This ride can be pretty "poisoning". If you guys know of Nancy from TLW, then better don't go there too often else one big hole in your wallet. Hahahaha.... 

i30 owners and potential buyers would be considered to be more lucky, as most of these reported problems were already being addressed under Tucson.

As by now, Hyundai would more or less have come out with some solutions or trial tests for KMC to work along with existing car owner.

Please pardon me for my lengthy write up. :)

Edited by lun71

Nancy from LTW is smaller poison ... but yeah, u can get audio, soundproofing, LED lights, Hella horn and visor from her.  dun ask me how I know, LOL. 

As for the 7 year warranty, buyers get to decide if its worth it - maybe better to have warranty if selling the car (peace of mind for new buyer).  But do read properly the terms n conditions - there are clear stipulations what you can or cannot do to maintain the 7 year coverage and what the warranty covers.  there are restrictions on servicing outside.  

Edited by Gz0707
↡ Advertisement