2017 Hyundai i30

Thecarboy302

Any fastback owners can provide some review of his/her ride? Whatâs the pro and cons? Or I should consider the Wagon instead? Thanks a lot!

Main difference is boot space n the look of the rear. Best if u go to the show room n see which is a better fit for your needs
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Been driving the i30 wagon for more than 6 months now, just want to share the experience. It’s been quite enjoyable really. Moving from suv to this with no regrets so far. Better handling & braking as can be expected fm higher cg suv to sedan/wagon...despite the 2 kind of ‘lags’ mentioned.

1) turbo lag - only experience this going up mscp in low gears. Can’t really be considered a lag since the car turbo fires at 1500rpm and usually rpm lowers when first climbing slope, so when it hits 1500rpm, turbo kicks in and you experience a sudden push. Just need to get use to that....or maybe can try putting to sports mode or ‘manual’ gear. Believe may solve that. But it’s a non issue for me as already gotten use to it.

2) dct lag - only experience this in lower gear(1-2) and either creeping or slow turning. I guess it’s due to PU of DCT predicting wrongly that car is stopping whereas you want to move off or accelerate, hence a split second of indecision by the dct causing no pickup when you press the accelerator. A very simple way I got round this was simply release the accelerator and step on it again. Solve this issue everytime...so far. Hope this helps

Other than these 2 issues, it’s been a good experience so far. If you’ve been driving CVT or AT cars, just need to get use to DCT. Those driving conti cars shld have no problem with this. The gear change is very smooth and fast, you can’t really feel it but can tell from the change in engine sound.

Those who have bought the i30, believe you will enjoy the car. My only concern now is the ‘reliability’ since first time driving a Korean car. 3-5 years from now, will let you guys know haha

• Praise 7

Been driving the i30 wagon for more than 6 months now, just want to share the experience. Itâs been quite enjoyable really. Moving from suv to this with no regrets so far. Better handling & braking as can be expected fm higher cg suv to sedan/wagon...despite the 2 kind of âlagsâ mentioned.

1) turbo lag - only experience this going up mscp in low gears. Canât really be considered a lag since the car turbo fires at 1500rpm and usually rpm lowers when first climbing slope, so when it hits 1500rpm, turbo kicks in and you experience a sudden push. Just need to get use to that....or maybe can try putting to sports mode or âmanualâ gear. Believe may solve that. But itâs a non issue for me as already gotten use to it.

2) dct lag - only experience this in lower gear(1-2) and either creeping or slow turning. I guess itâs due to PU of DCT predicting wrongly that car is stopping whereas you want to move off or accelerate, hence a split second of indecision by the dct causing no pickup when you press the accelerator. A very simple way I got round this was simply release the accelerator and step on it again. Solve this issue everytime...so far. Hope this helps

Other than these 2 issues, itâs been a good experience so far. If youâve been driving CVT or AT cars, just need to get use to DCT. Those driving conti cars shld have no problem with this. The gear change is very smooth and fast, you canât really feel it but can tell from the change in engine sound.

Those who have bought the i30, believe you will enjoy the car. My only concern now is the âreliabilityâ since first time driving a Korean car. 3-5 years from now, will let you guys know haha

Did you go for the firmware update at komoco? This is optional if you want to have the gb avoid shifting too early to D2, esp in carparks.

As for the reliability wise, I would say more about the QC on the Czech Republic factory than Korea as the only thing korean about the i30 is it's branding. Cheers.

• Praise 1

Did you go for the firmware update at komoco? This is optional if you want to have the gb avoid shifting too early to D2, esp in carparks.

As for the reliability wise, I would say more about the QC on the Czech Republic factory than Korea as the only thing korean about the i30 is it's branding. Cheers.

Heard about that but have not done it yet. Since not so much an issue for me, will wait see or wait till my 20k servicing before asking komoco. And you maybe right about the Czech thingy, it feels more conti than Asian.

Many are repost. Withdrawn for a while and post again as now COE has gone up.

Anyone getting your i30 in Feb 19?

Probably dealers stuck with high value secondhand cars which can't sell now that COE is so low... these owners probably unloaded when COE started to dip and the dealers took in at high prices anticipating the COE to surge due to dropping supply and CNY factor... but that surge never materialized...

Probably dealers stuck with high value secondhand cars which can't sell now that COE is so low... these owners probably unloaded when COE started to dip and the dealers took in at high prices anticipating the COE to surge due to dropping supply and CNY factor... but that surge never materialized...

Correct bro. And those rides are with 10K VES rebate hence OMV is rather low. Hence the resale price doesn't looks good in comparison with today's car price.

Correct bro. And those rides are with 10K VES rebate hence OMV is rather low. Hence the resale price doesn't looks good in comparison with today's car price.

No wonder cause I rmb i30 turbo lowest was 89k and i30 wagon was 91k for awhile. Edited by justahelpdesk

went for a test drive today

slightly disappointed as I didn't quite like the DCT driving experience

It's the lag when you try to move off from stationnery

this has been discussed but just doesn't like the non responsiveness

Maybe I should go for second test drive

• Praise 1

The lag is there to protect the transmission for longevity. If u need quicker response, use the Sports mode. DO NOT use the normal or eco mode. In Sports mode, the clutch engagement, boost pressure,  response, etc. changes for a more sporty experience.

• Praise 1

The lag is there to protect the transmission for longevity. If u need quicker response, use the Sports mode. DO NOT use the normal or eco mode. In Sports mode, the clutch engagement, boost pressure,  response, etc. changes for a more sporty experience.

Just curious.  How does the lag increase longevity of the transmission?

• Praise 1

That's quite weird cos the clutch is already engaged so on moving off, there should be no lag right? My experience with another car isn't like this. But the programming of the gearbox might be different lar...

Smoothens the clutch engagement instead dumping the clutch, reduces heat building up.

But the gear is already engaged... that's why the car will creep forward if you release the brakes right?

But the gear is already engaged... that's why the car will creep forward if you release the brakes right?

The DCT will disengage the clutch once the brakes are firmly pressed (or when Auto-Hold is active/green). When brakes are released, the clutch will be half-engaged to allow vehicle to creep forward. If auto-hold is enabled, the half clutch is when accelerator is pressed.

Either way, the transition from clutch disengage to half clutch to fully clutched is designed to be conservative to prolong the clutch lifespan. This is likely the feeling that Milner experienced. 

• Praise 1

The lag is there to protect the transmission for longevity. If u need quicker response, use the Sports mode. DO NOT use the normal or eco mode. In Sports mode, the clutch engagement, boost pressure, response, etc. changes for a more sporty experience.

I see.

tried the sports mode, doesn't feel much diff

Maybe need a longer test drive

• Praise 2