Mercedes Owners Thread

therock

Turbocharged

Unreliable Merc engines?

No... 

It's not a question of whether Mercedes engines are reliable in general, it's a question of whether red. spec engines are built to the same tolerances of non red. spec.

There is a reason why the practice of blueprinting exists. Finely building an engine with exact fits and what not can significantly increase its reliability and performance, just as mass production to wider variances will result in cheaper but potentially weaker engines.

But please note I am not saying the red. engines are proven to be different in hardware. I am just offering a theory that I believe should be taken into account before rushing to re-map a red. engine to higher model outputs.

↡ Advertisement

It's not a question of whether Mercedes engines are reliable in general, it's a question of whether red. spec engines are built to the same tolerances of non red. spec.

There is a reason why the practice of blueprinting exists. Finely building an engine with exact fits and what not can significantly increase its reliability and performance, just as mass production to wider variances will result in cheaper but potentially weaker engines.

But please note I am not saying the red. engines are proven to be different in hardware. I am just offering a theory that I believe should be taken into account before rushing to re-map a red. engine to higher model outputs.

1 maxim I followed since the first day I bought my own car is 'Mod don't scare. Scared, don't mod. And if still want a modded car but scared, get factory modded cars.' There is no free lunch in this world, something gotta give!

• Praise 1

Hi,

May I know what car and model are you driving? For me, as I have always been pumping Shell 95 when I was driving an E60 525 IL 6NA, I continued filling the same Shell 95 when I got the W212 last batch of E200 which is a TC 2.0L engine.

However, 1 day I went to pump V-Power....my goodness, it was like driving a brand new car! The vibration of the steering wheel and engine disappear immediately and i now do not feel much difference when the engine start/stop at the traffic light.

In other words, it was day and night difference between 95 and V-Power. Next I tried Shell 98....I tell you, i can't wait for the petrol to be used up so I can go back to filling V-Power. I'm sold and I'm addicted to V-Power now.

wait till you try V-Power Racing.. unfortunately only 5 Shell stations near the City Center in JB carry that range... each time I go JB i will die die try to find a station that provides that

• Praise 1

You must have modded until nothing else to mod liao issit? :D  My CO used to ask me that when I propose some fancy car mods she don't appreciate.

Take a step back and think: how often do you open your bonnet yourself in a month? or Even a year? the person who benefit from this mod is prob your C&C mechanic of the year....you just saved him 100 joules of energy lifting your bonnet to service your car.... :D

Bro

I am keen on getting this gas strut for the car bonnet :

http://upory.ru/shop/77/desc/mercedes_b-class

They make these for many car models.

Anyone else keen? 

Actually bro, I don't really mod my rides :)

Apart from buying a console shelf and some seat belt pads, nothing else thus far..

As for the struts, well I almost got decapitated.. my old Astra had them, and when I opened the bonnet on my Civic, it slammed on my head.. ha ha

Actually I open my bonnet every week, top up the water, clean my engine etc..

It's a pity to scrap my old ride, but if it had it's COE renewed, it will still be in pristine condition and from day one it's been serviced by the AD. 

[laugh]

Been looking around, and I can report back on where to find accessories:

For a brick and mortar shop options:

Autobacs:

- the biggest selection, you can touch, ask questions etc

NTUC:

surprisingly good

SGgarage, and a few others. Mod shops that also sell some kit that you can add on. 

For serious electrical mods;

Elebest:

Max does all kinds of stuff: GPS, keyless, etc

ONLINE:

Ah this is where the interesting stuff begins:

Amazon:

Amazing place where you can get stuff that suits all kinds of cars. And don't limit yourself to Amazon USA. For the Merc, which is German in origin, try search in Amazon UK and De. They may be cheaper, and offer more options. Things like car mats, wipers, replacement parts, and more.

Ebay:

A traditional source, and I might get my window visors from there. Made in USA and sells for the same price as the ones from ebay Malaysia.

Aliexpress:

A huge market place, and like Taobao, it offers many items, which are not just made in China. I got a console shelf that fits in the console box between the seats, plus some red control knobs. Do compare prices, and see if it's cheaper than Amazon and vice versa.

Taobao:

Another large market, but it's in Chinese and I am not too familiar. There are options to ship over, so one can consider that too.  

Will add more info when I explore more...

:D

• Praise 3

Apart from buying a console shelf and some seat belt pads, nothing else thus far..

As for the struts, well I almost got decapitated.. my old Astra had them, and when I opened the bonnet on my Civic, it slammed on my head.. ha ha

It's a pity to scrap my old ride, but if it had it's COE renewed, it will still be in pristine condition and from day one it's been serviced by the AD. 

[laugh]

You must have a leaky car that needs top up every wk.  I only check water every mth.

No point cleaning engine bay at MSCP.  If you have good relationship with any WS, borrow their air gun to "spray" clean engine bay.

Been looking around, and I can report back on where to find accessories:

For a brick and mortar shop options:

Autobacs:

- the biggest selection, you can touch, ask questions etc

NTUC:

surprisingly good

SGgarage, and a few others. Mod shops that also sell some kit that you can add on.

For serious electrical mods;

Elebest:

Max does all kinds of stuff: GPS, keyless, etc

ONLINE:

Ah this is where the interesting stuff begins:

Amazon:

Amazing place where you can get stuff that suits all kinds of cars. And don't limit yourself to Amazon USA. For the Merc, which is German in origin, try search in Amazon UK and De. They may be cheaper, and offer more options. Things like car mats, wipers, replacement parts, and more.

Ebay:

A traditional source, and I might get my window visors from there. Made in USA and sells for the same price as the ones from ebay Malaysia.

Aliexpress:

A huge market place, and like Taobao, it offers many items, which are not just made in China. I got a console shelf that fits in the console box between the seats, plus some red control knobs. Do compare prices, and see if it's cheaper than Amazon and vice versa.

Taobao:

Another large market, but it's in Chinese and I am not too familiar. There are options to ship over, so one can consider that too.

Will add more info when I explore more...

:D

For ntuc

Jurong point has good range of selection

For electrical mod elebest is good

For adding bodykits etc theres infinity project

To sell ur mod kits and parts, go carousell haha

Turbocharged

[laugh]

You sure need anot? I thought even B-Class got hydraulic bonnet support strut.

And frankly you shouldn't need to open the bonnet much. Only thing you have top up unless you have a leak is wiper fluid. In one year with my conti that is the only thing I top up and even then only once or twice a month unless wanna oogle my engine.

You mess around with coolant, engine oil, etc. yourself, C&C will possibly ask you go fly kite. Conti use special spec coolant that is specific to the car usually. Yes, can replace with something else, but C&C sure KPKB.

I guess only reason is if you want to continue your regimen of maintaining the appearance of the engine bay. I can respect that. [thumbsup]

Edited by 7hm

The B Class is their budget car.. No frills like that ..

I opened my FD to top up wiper fluid, I don't tweak anything. But I do keep my car clean.

Actually it's more important to clean the engine, the wheels and such than wash or polish the car if you want top performance. But most of us polish our cars and leave the engine compartment alone :)

Turbocharged

I opened my FD to top up wiper fluid, I don't tweak anything. But I do keep my car clean.

Actually it's more important to clean the engine, the wheels and such than wash or polish the car if you want top performance. But most of us polish our cars and leave the engine compartment alone :)

I'm surprised. I was certain that Mercedes used hydraulic struts for all their cars. I recall even the BMW 2-series AT has one.

Engine block has a cover which helps keep dust out and for dress up. But speaking of which, I keep meaning to take my air blower to dust it off and I keep forgetting.

[sweatdrop][laugh]

Edited by 7hm

Clean the engine for top performance? Can share how you do it?

(edited)

Clean the engine for top performance? Can share how you do it?

I meant that I clean the engine compartment of my FD, and I will do the same when my new ride comes.

How to clean the compartment?

As others mentioned:

- blower

- engine shampoo

- be careful to do it only when it's cool, and wipe dry the compartment

You can also go for a car shampoo, and they also do it, eg Kah Motor has a package, polish the car, clean and polish the interior and shampoo the engine area. I do it every Jan before CNY. The car smells nice and my family loves it. Worth the 300 plus. 

Oh, how do does keeping the wheels and engine clean improve performance, you may ask? Well the car functions better, I always feel that to keep the running bits clean is more essential than just the exterior. Of course cleaning the exterior reduces drag too.. 

Edited by therock

FYI bro and sis... CNC launching C180/C200 convertible end this month .. it will be interesting... i thought they will bring in C300 and C43 but they said next year. 

Any merc owner going for the half day mercedes driving experience function.?

Edited by Heman75

You sure need anot? I thought even B-Class got hydraulic bonnet support strut.

And frankly you shouldn't need to open the bonnet much. Only thing you have top up unless you have a leak is wiper fluid. In one year with my conti that is the only thing I top up and even then only once or twice a month unless wanna oogle my engine.

You mess around with coolant, engine oil, etc. yourself, C&C will possibly ask you go fly kite. Conti use special spec coolant that is specific to the car usually. Yes, can replace with something else, but C&C sure KPKB.

I guess only reason is if you want to continue your regimen of maintaining the appearance of the engine bay. I can respect that. [thumbsup]

I never top up wiper fluid, not even once, all done by C&C and I service the car once every 15k km. I had been wondering how big is the water storage tank?. Lol....
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

I never top up wiper fluid, not even once, all done by C&C and I service the car once every 15k km. I had been wondering how big is the water storage tank?. Lol....

lol!

Mine has a 1.3 gallon (5.7L) capacity for washer fluid. I don't think I've ever drained it entirely, but I usually top up if I can't see anymore in the filling tube.

Or maybe I use the windshield washer too much!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1