Mercedes Owners Thread

therock

Hi quick question. I am thinking of getting a 10 year old Merc with new 10 year COE. But wondering whether will there be big ticket issues down the road. I know itâs luck over everything else, but any comments from owners on build and reliability, etc? Any particular model with comparatively lesser issues?

How much is your budget?
↡ Advertisement

If my next car I am still getting from C&C will sure bargain to have only 3K service credit and the rest offset the new car price.....now 6K I have serious doubt I will use up half of it by time it expires or i change car.

yes.. and they have given me 8k of service credit. if cant finish in the end spend in their boutique .. they lagi happy as they are all seriously over priced items.

If my next car I am still getting from C&C will sure bargain to have only 3K service credit and the rest offset the new car price.....now 6K I have serious doubt I will use up half of it by time it expires or i change car.

Highly doubt that any reduction in service credit awarded can be directly converted to price discount on 1:1 ratio. That's because the cost of service is typically at or below 15% of sell price for such establishment.

yes.. and they have given me 8k of service credit. if cant finish in the end spend in their boutique .. they lagi happy as they are all seriously over priced items.

Which vehicle was it they gave the 8k credits to you?

Is there correlation that the larger models eg. E Class tend to spend more per servicing compared to a say A Class?

Service credits expiry is 5 years? Able to share what’s consumption like per typical service? Edited by Theta

Is there correlation that the larger models eg. E Class tend to spend more per servicing compared to a say A Class?

Service credits expiry is 5 years? Able to share whatâs consumption like per typical service?

The E class does it spend more per servicd..

It’s spends a lot more :)

See their website for estimates. That’s without any change of parts.

If it all seems too fierce, there are external workshops or walk down the road and get a Toyota ..

15K lubrication service + tyre rotation X 1 + aircon filter change/labour use up about $600 - 700

That's within 1.5yrs of ownership.

Service credits expiry is 5 years? Able to share what’s consumption like per typical service?

Edited by Vratenza

Yeah , understand... can always wish right? LOL

Unlikely my next change will be another C&C car base on my next target of a performance good handling coupe.

Highly doubt that any reduction in service credit awarded can be directly converted to price discount on 1:1 ratio. That's because the cost of service is typically at or below 15% of sell price for such establishment.

15K lubrication service + tyre rotation X 1 + aircon filter change/labour use up about $600 - 700

That's within 1.5yrs of ownership.

Hence I mentioned earlier that the service credit even if it is 8K, is pretty much a joke BUT if they dont give that 8k to you, you are really screwed.......

And imagine for those who only got 3k service credit.... they literally die-cock-stand during the warranty period....

it's just how different AD play around with customer retention and keeping customers within their workshop claws especially during the warranty period.

Some ADs give "free servicing" withing the warranty period of 3-5 yrs. All these have monetary value in them just like C&C's " service credits".

Different ways to skin a cat.

Hence I mentioned earlier that the service credit even if it is 8K, is pretty much a joke BUT if they dont give that 8k to you, you are really screwed.......
And imagine for those who only got 3k service credit.... they literally die-cock-stand during the warranty period....

One of the BS that C&C salesman and saleswoman are trained to dish out is this "effective price". Its basically deducting from the discounted list price (which is basically the price they really wish to sell) with all the "service credit" lah, "insurance support" lah, simi "overtrade" lah.. if we just zoomed into the "service credit" alone, that item is basically an upfront payment by the BUYER to facilitate merciless carrot chopping.. BUT C&C DEDUCT that amount from the "discounted list" and termed the resultant number as "effective price".

Allow me to use an extreme example to illustrate how stupid is this BS...

- say the GLC Coupe is 238k LIST.

- discounted list let's say it is 228k

- if C&C say "Service Credit" is 200k, then they can proudly declare that the "effective price" is only 28k.

That's basically catching a chicken by the neck and swing until the chicken is confused and the head dropped off.

Edited by Yuendi
  • Praise 2

I also don't like how these ADs play around with service credits and overtrades.

But i am cognisant of the fact that it is a free market, in the sense that there are PI alternatives to buy from if one cannot stomach the business practice.

So end of the day the buyer have to weigh the pros and cons of buying from ADs vs PIs. What do they value more? Upfront discounts but take a chance with warranty or pay through the nose but sleep better at night? 

No right or wrong... Just different priorities.

Agree.. whatever choice one makes, just got to go in with eyes wide opened.

My view that buying from AD means sleeping better may not hold water now.. I had a PI car for 10 years (reputable PI) and had zero problems dealing with them. I have an AD car now that I have to constantly go and "flip table" because of warranty issue that they try to push out till past warranty stage.

But the belief that "only AD has computer to diagnose" does not hold water now I think. For merc and BM, many of their top service peoples are out there providing better service. Lots of factors to consider when buying a car; from AD or PI.

Just got to go in with eyes wide opened. After that, dont complain

One of the BS that C&C salesman and saleswoman are trained to dish out is this "effective price". Its basically deducting from the discounted list price (which is basically the price they really wish to sell) with all the "service credit" lah, "insurance support" lah, simi "overtrade" lah.. if we just zoomed into the "service credit" alone, that item is basically an upfront payment by the BUYER to facilitate merciless carrot chopping.. BUT C&C DEDUCT that amount from the "discounted list" and termed the resultant number as "effective price".

- if C&C say "Service Credit" is 200k, then they can proudly declare that the "effective price" is only 28k.

That's basically catching a chicken by the neck and swing until the chicken is confused and the head dropped off. ð

Have they been using it for decades? If they still using it now, that means this tactic work and they will carry on

you can use some of your service credit to offset car price.

Service credits expiry is 5 years? Able to share what’s consumption like per typical service?

E class. my previous E after 3yrs .. i still have 2k credit left which i used to offset new car price which come with another 8k credit. i foresee good enough to last 5yrs with left over to be offset again on new car..no ending one 

I also don't like how these ADs play around with service credits and overtrades.

But i am cognisant of the fact that it is a free market, in the sense that there are PI alternatives to buy from if one cannot stomach the business practice.

So end of the day the buyer have to weigh the pros and cons of buying from ADs vs PIs. What do they value more? Upfront discounts but take a chance with warranty or pay through the nose but sleep better at night? 

No right or wrong... Just different priorities.

we dont have to overly bother with how they play around with the gimmicks. basically we look at the ultimate number we are paying. they can labelled them whatever they like.. it is the nett price i am concern.

That's basically catching a chicken by the neck and swing until the chicken is confused and the head dropped off.

Edited by Davidtch

Are you able to self import that is cheaper than AD (even $1)?

With the exact same option

Interestingly.. for another specific brand.. yes. Edited by Yuendi

I accompany a friend to Cnc to check on A200 price $152k base line. We went to PI A200 AMG line full specs $148k, sign on the dot.

↡ Advertisement